2012-2013 Passat Turbocharger Warranty Extended to 10 years/120,000 Miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Turbocharger Limited Warranty Extension VWP-14-04
Volkswagen has extended the Emissions Control Systems Warranty for the turbocharger under specific conditions to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date, for certain 2012 – 2013 Model Year Volkswagen Passat TDI Clean Diesel Engine vehicles with engine code CKRA.

The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.

This warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners.

What is the Problem

Volkswagen has determined that, under specific conditions, the turbocharger could malfunction and may cause the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the instrument cluster to illuminate due to the presence of specific fault codes caused by this component. Additionally, you may hear noise coming from the turbocharger. This condition may also lead to reduced engine performance if the MIL-on issue is not addressed.

The MIL is part of the on-board diagnostic system. Please refer to the owner’s manual for additional information about the MIL. In some locales, an illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp could cause the vehicle to fail a smog check inspection, and the vehicle registration application could be denied.

Please be aware that other conditions (unrelated to the issue described in this bulletin) may cause the MIL in the vehicle to illuminate. Customers should be prepared to cover all diagnosis and repair costs for these other, unrelated conditions.

coowhip

TDI
N/A
After this winter maybe they will extend it to the 2014's. Depends on failure rates I imagine but this is a great step in the right direction.

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
I wonder if this means they regard the problem as "fixed" with the 2014s or if they're just not dumb enough to extend a warranty on a faulty part for a car they're still selling.

I also see it says "certain 2012-2013" Passat TDIs. What does that mean? Only the ones that shipped with the 005 turbo maybe?

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I think the term "certain" means cars that experience turbocharger failure. In other words, they are saying that it may not happen to all cars. Rephrase -- we aren't admitting that the turbocharger was designed incorrectly, just that "some" cars may have problems. Legalese.

I'm guessing they fixed it in the 2014 without acknowledging a revision, just like the revised HPFPs.

tdiot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 350000mi, Mercedes E320 CDI, 96 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 96 Serro Scotty Cummins RV, 93 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 TD.
That is good news indeed. I`m at about 57,000 on my so far trouble free 2012 and was not looking forward to the expiration of the basic warranty. Hopefully by the time I hit 120,000 there will be some aftermarket options or a decent supply reasonably priced OEM turbos.

Last edited:

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I think the term "certain" means cars that experience turbocharger failure.
I hope you're right, and that it's not limited to a certain serial number range or build date.

Great news indeed if that's the case. Do we get a letter or is this on the down low?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is good news indeed. Well, bad news for me, but that's bad news I can be happy about.

Now I need to try and track down the three NMS TDI owner's I've done turbos on and see if they can get reimbursed.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Very welcomed good news. Interesting that they categorized it under the emissions warranty and not the power train warranty.

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Is there a web link to this information Mr. Evans? 'Preciate it!

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Wonder if it covers your towing, hotel, trip interruption, lost work, ruined vacation, etc. too.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Can someone confirm its not April fools day.....:p
Well if it is a joke, CEVANS will never get another dime of business from this board and probably should be packing his bags to leave the country. ;)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Jeez...what a bunch of cynical clowns.:p Just calm down and everyone do their due diligence.:D

I phoned my friend, a VW shop foremen in No. Va, and he commented that he, too, was amused/perplexed that the warranty extension didn't apply to 2014s. He agrese with those of us here that don't think any substantial engineering changes have been made to the CKRA, other than a turbo update (no ECU software changes, etc.). He also agrees with my (our?) theory that VWoA is hamstrung by the need for EPA recertification for any ECU modifications. (all of this "off the record", of course!)

Last edited:

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Does this warranty also cover any work that would be needed if the engine to swallows an imploded turbo?
...or ashes the hell out of the DPF as a result of the failure, too?

Anyways, happy dance time for everyone!:D And I can say that even as a 2014 owner. I'm glad VW now is giving Passat TDI owners recognition and coverage of the turbo issue, and just because they didn't include 2014s in this particular warranty extension, I still have gained some confidence in VW. I feel the fact they didn't explicitly state 2014s as covered under this new warranty means one of two things:

1. The 2014s are not at risk for turbo failure because of some hidden change that we are not aware of,

OR

2. 2014s are still at risk (or maybe less of a risk) for turbo failure, but VW isn't going to include them in the warranty extension until all of the 2014s have been sold and aren't on the lots anymore, since including 2014s in the statement right now might scare off potential buyers. Customers would not like the idea of buying a car that even VW is admitting is at risk for failure.

Either way, I'm confident that if my 2014 ever does run into turbo issues (I don't think it will, but...), getting the malfunction covered under this extended warranty would not be hard. I think VW would cover it just like a 2012 or 2013.

TurboDieselPoint

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Great news, plus a friend of mine snapped up a used 2012 that had ate a turbo, was fixed but the owner sold it $15K because it was using oil afterwards

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
....2. 2014s are still at risk (or maybe less of a risk) for turbo failure, but VW isn't going to include them in the warranty extension until all of the 2014s have been sold and aren't on the lots anymore, since including 2014s in the statement right now might scare off potential buyers. Customers would not like the idea of buying a car that even VW is admitting is at risk for failure...

TurboDieselPoint
Yeah this is prob the case. Wouldnt be surprised to see the warranty extended to the '14s as well once all are sold.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Ohhh I can't wait to talk to them on Monday!!!!:D

I'll be reporting the results of my situation later tonight. How do I post pics of the service bill??

Status
Not open for further replies.