MN Chat Thread

Merchlewitz

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
People really have to have some balls to steal a car from a garage... That's sad.. Curious Chris and I have been busy doing some fixing on the 02 Jetta I bought.. So far Brakes rotors all around + starter. We are working on doing the suspension now.. got front left strut replaced, passenger side to go with back shocks and springs!

Gotta admit Chris is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to TDI's!

1st_TDI:)

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Brass car theives

Was on the road all day yesterday from Park Rapids to Watervillie, just short of 600 mi.
Did not see a Blue Wagon.
Turned 275k on clock near Motley.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Also, I'm getting a lot of noise from the rear passenger wheel - pretty sure the bearing is going. How tough are they to replace? (intact the whole suspension is getting pretty weak and the front is making a slight clunking when at a full turn) yeah, it's time to move on...
Hopefully it is the rear bearing. I had a clunk over bumps in my car and it was the trailing arm bushings. VW says they are not replaceable and that is close to true but I replaced mine. I have the insertion tool that worked very nicely. I also have the tool to press the rear bearing in.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
2000 Beetle 1C0831411B lower hinge left door

2000 Beetle 1C0831411B lower hinge left door . . . anyone happen to have one they are looking to part ways with quick and easy like?

Broke both bolts off at the door with minimal effort applied . . . likely will drill out, tap, and use different bolts, just thought I'd do a quick check first . . .

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Looking for a front bumper cover and grill for a white 2001 Jetta. If anyone knows where to find one, it would be much appreciated. White is not very common. :(

Also will have left over parts from the 2001 project. Stuff like, head including injectors, race pipe, block but likely bent rod as it hydrolocked, 10mm injection pump, injector lines (the hard ones), turbo (may possibly be a chinese one as no Garrett stamp), and others. Will be posting on Craiglist so will provide a link to the posting.

Car runs great but got p0234 code. So checking for boost leak, N75 and MAF tomorrow. New Garrett turbo so that cannot be it.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
head including injectors,
, block but likely bent rod as it hydrolocked, 10mm injection pump, injector lines (the hard ones),.
I might be interested, throw me a price by PM

Tons of 2dr black interior parts you can have free if you want them, oh and a stock base model radio/speakers

JetTech

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
Hey guys, quick question. Where's a good shop for head re-work?

I've got a 06 BRM Jetta that I think the valve guides wore out. It's been puffing blue smoke on cold starts to now blue smoke under 2k rpm...bad! Any ball park idea on cost? Thinking it might be better to just craigslist a whole motor. TIA

mn PD jetta

TDI
2004 PD jetta GLS Manual box.
TDI Rework on heads

Franks TDI in MO.. just had him do one up for my 04 BEW. Great guy. And knows what he is doing... and ya get what ya pay for far as I'm concerned..

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Much cheaper to do it locally, motors by gosh did a good job on one for me a few years back. Merkerguitars uses a different local shop that does decent work even cheaper. It's not rocket surgery like Frank makes it out to be.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Franks TDI in MO.. just had him do one up for my 04 BEW. Great guy. And knows what he is doing... and ya get what ya pay for far as I'm concerned..
I like Frank's work too. If he charges a little more than some local guy, it's an irrelevant amount amortized over the next 300k-400k miles.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
another vote for local work

OHC bucket tappet aluminum heads are nowhere near even remotely uncommon, and everything more or less transfers over.
these are actually easier than most gasoline heads, as everything is nice and square (the guides are perpendicular to the head mating surface, and (on an alh and older at least) the VC mating surface is parallel to the head mating surface)

I did mine myself, but F that. Repetitious and boring work with expensive specialized tools. I was shocked how loose my valve guides were after 135k miles.

JetTech

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
I'd rather go local if I can. Less hassle with shipping and such. Anybody use Headwerks in Bloomington? I had a chevy head done there about 10 yrs ago, but haven't heard a word since.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'd rather go local if I can. Less hassle with shipping and such. Anybody use Headwerks in Bloomington? I had a chevy head done there about 10 yrs ago, but haven't heard a word since.
I've delivered parts there, and it seems like a competently-run shop.

But dealing with Frank Irving (Franko6) is not a hassle. He makes it easy.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
we use metro engine, but dave's got a multiple month backlog at the moment

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Is Thera anyone in St Paul that could listen to a newly acquired TICK I've gotten about a week after I replaced my sway bar mounting bushings?? Also, maybe look at some Vagcom logs to see if anything pops out to show why I've been getting such poor mileage??? I invite that person to drive my car as part of the test.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
After some research I think I've got a good idea of my click. I'm thinking it's the upper strut bearing. So, I'm ordering upper strut bushings and bearings.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Hey 486, what would it take for me to stop over and check out ur set up and pick ur brain on some hybrid turbo stuff??

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After some research I think I've got a good idea of my click. I'm thinking it's the upper strut bearing. So, I'm ordering upper strut bushings and bearings.
Very common problem.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Hey 486, what would it take for me to stop over and check out ur set up and pick ur brain on some hybrid turbo stuff??
Easier to do on here, you really can't see anything from the top on the car.

Gotta stuff a camera in there, take it all apart, put it on a hoist, or in the case of the pics in my compound turbos thread, all three at once. I mean I'd be willing to pull it apart for money, but really...

You want my old compound setup? The one near the beginning of the thread with the TD04l-13G-6cm from the subaru. It moved enough air to burn just about everything that pp764s and a 10mm pump could put out.
Maybe $200 for the turbo and the adapter to bolt it up to your gt1749V? The charge piping was all really haggard radiator hoses and junk, much better to just spend $50 on some ebay silicone elbows.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Who wants to take on a broken timing belt on a 1999.5? Not my car but a guy I used to work with. He is in Excelsior but I am betting he could drag it to you. Send me a PM or email and I will connect him with you.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Head for you

Who wants to take on a broken timing belt on a 1999.5? Not my car but a guy I used to work with. He is in Excelsior but I am betting he could drag it to you. Send me a PM or email and I will connect him with you.
If his head is damaged I have one to sell.

Also, any recommendations on diesel in the International Falls area? Want to fill up before crossing the border.