Lost center cap...again!!

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
Second time I lost the centre cap, in a matter of a few months. This time around, only a few days after installing them after taking the winters off.
Is it just me, or does it happen to you guys too?
Dealer sells them for $12 a pop, not cheap...

I'm thinking of removing the wheels, and take some hot glue to them.

Last edited:

simoco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Wrap the outside of the centercap where it clips into the wheel with a few loops of black electrical tape. Can't see it when it is instaalled in the wheel. Did this to my cheap chinese center caps for my snow tires. They stayed in throughout the winter season. Might give it a try.

Ps. Don't get the cheap chinese centercaps. My caps stayed in, but the metal vw logo fell out of the cap. For my good wheels I would gladly pay the extra vw oem premium.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I wonder if the glue would be affected by the heat transfer from the brakes though.

I would think silicone (or electrical tape as mentioned above) would be a better solution.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Buy a cheap set of wheel covers from WallyWorld. OK I guess that is not the look you want, but it would solve the problem. :)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
....and how would you suggest I fit wheel covers into an aluminum wheel???... See pictures above. :rolleyes:
Brain fart. … I saw those before I wrote my reply, but it appears the brain was not fully functional at the that time. :eek:

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
Ps. Don't get the cheap chinese centercaps. My caps stayed in, but the metal vw logo fell out of the cap. For my good wheels I would gladly pay the extra vw oem premium.
I'll buy the OEM ones for sure. I did last time, but I find them a bit pricey.
You could alway get the VW logo printed on vinyl, and stick them on the cheap chinese knockoffs...:cool:

I wonder if the glue would be affected by the heat transfer from the brakes though.

I would think silicone (or electrical tape as mentioned above) would be a better solution.
Good point, didn't think of that. I can always remove the glue and try silicone, not crazy about the electrical tape idea. Tks. :)

Brain fart. … I saw those before I wrote my reply, but it appears the brain was not fully functional at the that time. :eek:
You make more sense now...;)

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
never had an issue with the center caps falling off. Plus, when it comes time for new tires... the center caps needs to be removed, in order for them to balance them.