Chasing down play in steering

dieselovin

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon PD
I have been chasing down a slight knock when changing steering direction for a few weeks now. I've replaced a lot of the front end bushings and haven't been able to find the source of the "play" while under the car. I finally put a vice grip above the u-joint that is accessible behind the brake pedal inside the car and can feel play between the steering wheel and the grips. I took off the airbag and tightened up the wheel to the column. I also inspected Both splines and they looked good.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe this play I'm feeling is only one of the sources? I know there is a u-joint above where I am placing the vice grip. To clarify, I am placing the vice grip on the top of the telescoping part of the column.

Thanks for any help!

2004 PD Wagon

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Can you be more specific on what you have or haven't replaced?

Also have you looked at wheel bearings and ball joints?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dieselovin

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon PD
I've replaced both wheel bearings, both struts and One tie rod end. I also tightened up the bolts holding the rack. To add to that I've been under the car feeling for the play while my friend turns the wheel and can't find the source. I have purchased the TT rear control arm bushings and that is my next job, but I did not feel any play at that interface.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Did you check your inner tie rods? I know they never go bad but I had one that was scary sloppy at right around 300k, it looked like it had water intrusion at some point

Are the big saucer bushings cracked? You should feel a difference with the TT bushings

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Might try to simulate the sound with the wheels off the ground and steering wheel free. Be warned the steering fluid can fly out with the engine off.

dieselovin

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon PD
I tightened the steering wheel itself and that took care of (most of) it. I still would like to replace the rest of the bushings. A little confusing because the splines looked ok. I don't think either male or female spline is tapered so I'm not sure how they eliminate play in this setup unless I am missing something. Thanks for your suggestions!