2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

2015GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG
2015 TDI DSG phase 2 wait until 40K miles?

I bought a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI in April. This was a buyback car that had a Michigan title. I called the Strong VW service department in Salt Lake City. Their phase 2 guy "Chip" said the computer will tell him if the A kit and/or B kit needs to be installed based on the VIN lookup. I asked if I get the A kit now could I come back later to have the B kit installed? He said no, it is a one shot deal for the phase 2 emissions recall, if you only get the A kit installed there is no option to come back later for the B kit. I asked him is it better to wait to get to 40K miles for the DSG. Chip said he could not advise me and no one has asked him that question before, which I find very surprising. I'm only at 30K miles right now and doubt I could get to 40K by December 2018 which is the deadline on claims.vwgoa.com for completing the phase 2 settlement. It seems like those with DSG transmissions should try to reach 40K miles by December if they want the part B kit. Does anyone know more about this?

Last edited:

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
All this is too confusing, to be sure. What I am interpreting is:

1. For those who are original purchasers of 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI's (purchased prior to when the Emissions scandal hit): You get Phase 1 + Phase 2 (2A + 2B, regardless of vehicle mileage when brought in for Phase 2).

2. For those who purchased a 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI from a VW dealer after these vehicles were bought back from prior owners and where VW provided the Phase 1 fix before putting them back on the market, this is where the 40k miles for DSG/70k miles for manuals, come into play regarding if you get Phase 2 2A or 2A+2B.

I also think (but am not certain) that the claims portal is for claiming restitution payment decisions. For those in this second group, VW is currently denying such owners of a restitution. I don't think a claim number is required for such owners who already are assuming their vehicles are not eligible for restitution payments - so they don't needlessly have to go through the claim process for the intent of seeking the emissions fix only (not intending to qualify for a restitution payment).

Again, I could be wrong. Just my interpretations from what I am reading within this forum.
I am pretty sure your interpretation is correct. I bought mine new in 2015 and have less than 40k miles. Mine got both kits, if that helps. I fall under "may need new DOC before 150,000 miles".

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I bought a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI in April. This was a buyback car that had a Michigan title. I called the Strong VW service department in Salt Lake City. Their phase 2 guy "Chip" said the computer will tell him if the A kit and/or B kit needs to be installed based on the VIN lookup. I asked if I get the A kit now could I come back later to have the B kit installed? He said no, it is a one shot deal for the phase 2 emissions recall, if you only get the A kit installed there is no option to come back later for the B kit. I asked him is it better to wait to get to 40K miles for the DSG. Chip said he could not advise me and no one has asked him that question before, which I find very surprising. I'm only at 30K miles right now and doubt I could get to 40K by December 2018 which is the deadline on claims.vwgoa.com for completing the phase 2 settlement. It seems like those with DSG transmissions should try to reach 40K miles by December if they want the part B kit. Does anyone know more about this?
He is telling you incorrect information. Someone posted a screenshot of the letter a page or so back in this thread if you'd like to read it, but you probably already have a letter of your own in the mail or your vehicle manual.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Yep, there are no deadlines listed in the recall letter.

I'm still thinking through the best timing on this. I'm a new old-stock purchase, under 40k in a DSG. It seems the prudent move would be to get the flash and 2nd NOx sensor now and then go as long as VW will allow before going back for the replacement DPF, DOC, and SCR.

Unless I'm reading the letter wrong or making bad assumptions.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My 2015 Jetta went in today for Phase 2 he said this is only the 2nd Stick car for them the gave me a 2017 Golf Sportwagen with 4 Motion and 1400miles decent car

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, there are no deadlines listed in the recall letter.

I'm still thinking through the best timing on this. I'm a new old-stock purchase, under 40k in a DSG. It seems the prudent move would be to get the flash and 2nd NOx sensor now and then go as long as VW will allow before going back for the replacement DPF, DOC, and SCR.

Unless I'm reading the letter wrong or making bad assumptions.
Without rehashing the deadline conversation :D, I think 2015GSW is asking about whether it's true that the fix is a "one-shot" deal as in whatever mileage you come in with for your first fix is whatever policy is going to be followed.

That information the technician told him is directly contradicted by the letter you posted #331, which clearly states if you are under 40K or 70K, depending on transmission type, you'll be asked to come back for a separate service in the future.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just clarifying for 2015GSW that doing as much as you can now like you're suggesting and then coming in as long as VW will allow you to wait for the final fixes is better than what he was led to believe he should be doing per the tech's advice.

I'm not sure how much any of this will matter to our vehicles. I imagine it's more CYA than necessary. I don't really understand the difference between the DSG and manual mileage milestones, either.

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
I just had my 2015 A3 done.
I had not taken it in for Phase I. All the paperwork just refers to Phase II. I assume they must have done the Phase I stuff as well.
Car drives differently, but no worse. Too soon to know about MPG.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, here we go....

Apparently I'm the second at this shop according to the service manager. When I made my appointment last week the tech told me they'd done it before and I wasn't one of the first. Guess I'm not the first, lmao, cross your fingers!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Regarding 2015 Gen 3 2.0L TDI's that are below the 40k (DSG) or 70k (manual) mileage thresholds when getting Phase 2A kit only (and the extended warranty starts over again after Phase 2 fix), when these cars get over 70k miles later and are brought back in for the Phase 2B hardware change-out, is the extended emissions warranty extended yet again? Or is the Phase 2 extended warranty only extended once with the 2A kit install?

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
I just had my 2015 A3 done.
I had not taken it in for Phase I. All the paperwork just refers to Phase II. I assume they must have done the Phase I stuff as well.
Car drives differently, but no worse. Too soon to know about MPG.
Phase II completed last Thursday. Chase payment in my checking account yesterday (Monday).

Now waiting for Bosch...

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Service manager cleared my tank of diesel and oil change but different one is telling my buddy that oil change is only for original owners and free tank of fuel is only for Touareg owners. He did say that if my buddy showed him something in writing he'd be able to honor it.

Anyone have a number or advice? The screenshot provided only states they'll be done but not enough of the letter is visible to demonstrate who/what it applies to.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
If anyone has VCDS and can log a regen, or check the regen measuring blocks, I'd be interested to know if the regen duration is shortened at all or regen frequency decreased at all.

I have a 2015 6-speed manual with Phase 1, and regens take 15 minutes from start to end (compared to 10 minutes on my old 2011), and they definitely happen more frequently. Frequency isn't as important as length, which is a bit ridiculous now. If it just happens to start a regen at the end of a trip, and you don't want to interrupt it, 15 minutes is a long time to keep driving around aimlessly or idling in the driveway!

Has anyone that has phase 2 noticed the length of regens since the phase 2 update, and if so, can you report on it? :)

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I agree with you on it. My prev car was '12 TDI (no fix) and regens were few and far between. Rare to catch one .

Current car is 15' CPO with Phase 1 applied and I do notice the regens. I dont hesitate to interrupt though, especially knowing I am going to be getting whole new everything @ time of Phase 2 .

When I catch it while driving, I downshift to get the RPMs above 2K, thinking running hotter should help it finish sooner and/or getting a better burn out of the gunk :)

If anyone has VCDS and can log a regen, or check the regen measuring blocks, I'd be interested to know if the regen duration is shortened at all or regen frequency decreased at all.

I have a 2015 6-speed manual with Phase 1, and regens take 15 minutes from start to end (compared to 10 minutes on my old 2011), and they definitely happen more frequently. Frequency isn't as important as length, which is a bit ridiculous now. If it just happens to start a regen at the end of a trip, and you don't want to interrupt it, 15 minutes is a long time to keep driving around aimlessly or idling in the driveway!

Has anyone that has phase 2 noticed the length of regens since the phase 2 update, and if so, can you report on it? :)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I purchased new old stock GSW with Phase 1 applied. It regens every 240 miles for 11 minutes like clockwork. My 2012 Passat (also with AdBlue) did exactly the same. I monitor all regens with SG2. I’m holding out on Phase 2 so no data to report there.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI

I have a VCDS and just got mine back from phase 2. I think the throttle response is much better, more like my 2012, but not much info other than that. I'm willing to run any tests you want thrown at it so long as you give me the test procedures to type into VCDS.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Does anyone know if the Phase 2 fix will overwrite the OBDEleven coding changes I made? Specifically the ones that relate to the dynamic steering and the throttle response.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I purchased new old stock GSW with Phase 1 applied. It regens every 240 miles for 11 minutes like clockwork. My 2012 Passat (also with AdBlue) did exactly the same. I monitor all regens with SG2. I’m holding out on Phase 2 so no data to report there.

I've had this 2015 for a month and a half now, seems to do a regen every 300km and 15 minutes always. Maybe the pattern changes as it adapts to your driving, and that was reset after phase 1 was done. I have no idea if it adapts, just thinking it might be a possibility. Thinking back to 7 years ago when I got my 2011, seemed like at the beginning I noticed regens more frequently than in recent years. Who knows, eh. It's a bit of a mystery. Interesting that I see 15 minutes always, yours is 11, and my old car seemed to be 10 always. I timed it with VCDS a few times early on, and later always knew if I felt the twitch in engine output when a regen started, I'd look at the clock, and know in exactly 10 minutes it would be done. 15 minutes is a heck of a long time to wait around or keep driving if it just started... 10 wasn't so bad ;)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We may be calling the starts and stops differently as well. I’m not using a VCDS time count; rather the exhaust temps displayed on ScanGauge 2. When I see the temperature start climbing from ~600F to ~1200F I make a mental note, and when I see it start dropping precipitously, that is usually at the 11 minute mark. That is at steady state highway driving. If I slow for a light or a town, that time can go up.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
We may be calling the starts and stops differently as well. I’m not using a VCDS time count; rather the exhaust temps displayed on ScanGauge 2. When I see the temperature start climbing from ~600F to ~1200F I make a mental note, and when I see it start dropping precipitously, that is usually at the 11 minute mark. That is at steady state highway driving. If I slow for a light or a town, that time can go up.

Quite true - I am just basing it on when I feel or see it start (engine RPM at idle) and then I can get the RPM to drop again after being done. If driving around the city, and stopping quite frequently, the RPM makes it totally obvious. Same way I figured 10 minutes in my 2011 TDI, but in that one I also had logged it using VCDS at one point and the 10 minutes of high EGTs coincided exactly with the engine RPM. Maybe no longer the case with the 2015s.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've had this 2015 for a month and a half now, seems to do a regen every 300km and 15 minutes always. Maybe the pattern changes as it adapts to your driving, and that was reset after phase 1 was done. I have no idea if it adapts, just thinking it might be a possibility. Thinking back to 7 years ago when I got my 2011, seemed like at the beginning I noticed regens more frequently than in recent years. Who knows, eh. It's a bit of a mystery. Interesting that I see 15 minutes always, yours is 11, and my old car seemed to be 10 always. I timed it with VCDS a few times early on, and later always knew if I felt the twitch in engine output when a regen started, I'd look at the clock, and know in exactly 10 minutes it would be done. 15 minutes is a heck of a long time to wait around or keep driving if it just started... 10 wasn't so bad ;)

you're using metric time, duhhh!!!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Does anyone know if the Phase 2 fix will overwrite the OBDEleven coding changes I made? Specifically the ones that relate to the dynamic steering and the throttle response.

Shouldn't. Throttle response is in the ABS module for some odd reason. Either way a quick change back if it does.

2015GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG
Deadline for phase 2?

I have a 2015 GSW TDI DSG with 30000 miles. I want to wait until 2019 to have phase 2a and 2b done together, but I don't want to find out in 2019 that VW is no longer doing phase 2 work once the dieselgate settlement period ends. My local dealer Strong VW in Salt Lake told me you can only have phase 2 work done once, there is no way to come back later to have phase 2b done, although some TDIclub users have said that is bad information. Does anyone have anything in writing from VW that states or confirms that there is no deadline for phase 2 work?

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have a 2015 GSW TDI DSG with 30000 miles. I want to wait until 2019 to have phase 2a and 2b done together, but I don't want to find out in 2019 that VW is no longer doing phase 2 work once the dieselgate settlement period ends. My local dealer Strong VW in Salt Lake told me you can only have phase 2 work done once, there is no way to come back later to have phase 2b done, although some TDIclub users have said that is bad information. Does anyone have anything in writing from VW that states or confirms that there is no deadline for phase 2 work?
Read the image posted in post 331 in this thread. It states very clearly the answer to your question, and it came from VW.

You didn't say if you are original owner, a buy-back owner where Phase 1 was previously completed, or another type of owner. That is important in regards to what you get with Phase 2 (kit "A" or both kits "A&B"), and what potential additional hardware comes after. But your question is about a single Phase 2 event or not - and that is clearly answered in post 331.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My 2015 Jetta SEL TDI with Stick.....has now been in the shop for 17 Days....it has 46K miles and should only have to have "A" mod...they called me yesterday and told me it was getting A and B and I should get it back on Wednesday....This whole thing is a Cluster!:mad:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
My 2015 Jetta SEL TDI with Stick.....has now been in the shop for 17 Days....it has 46K miles and should only have to have "A" mod...they called me yesterday and told me it was getting A and B and I should get it back on Wednesday....This whole thing is a Cluster!:mad:
Are you an original owner of your vehicle? If so, the clip on post 331 says you get both kits "A" & "B" for Phase 2 regardless of mileage (although the top part is missing, which has some of the context necessary). You would still need to have your newly installed Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time prior to 150,000 miles if you are having both kits "A" & "B" installed now, per the clip on post 331.

If you bought your car after a buy-back where the dealer already had Phase 1 done, you shouldn't be getting kit "B" installed now, per the clip on post 331. If the dealer made an error putting kit "B" in, you can inquire with your dealer if the reason for the long time at the shop has to do with kit "B", and why they are putting it in now.

2015GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG
Read the image posted in post 331 in this thread. It states very clearly the answer to your question, and it came from VW.

You didn't say if you are original owner, a buy-back owner where Phase 1 was previously completed, or another type of owner. That is important in regards to what you get with Phase 2 (kit "A" or both kits "A&B"), and what potential additional hardware comes after. But your question is about a single Phase 2 event or not - and that is clearly answered in post 331.

The car was a buyback with Michigan title and phase 1 completed in 2017. I bought it April 2018. Post 331 is helpful up to a point. There is no mention of a phase 2 deadline, which does not necessarily mean that there is no deadline. Some people would wait until year 2025 or 160K miles to get the phase 2b warranty extension if there is no deadline. I'm guessing VW would try to discourage that somehow.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would get Phase 2/2b done at your convenience sooner rather than later. Warranty will cover anything that may go wrong afterwards. Those that wait it out may find things different than they are now. Now if you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night you may want to wait it out till the final day or whatever. There really isn't much gained by waiting. Most will probably crash or sell the car before the warranty runs out anyway.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Yes I am the original owner Purchased new from the Late Great Chris Farnham who requested this car for me and arrived exactly as it was ordered
Thanks for that info!