Exhaust manifold stud.. What is going on with this?

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I bought an engine cover for my BRM and I was removing the rubber inserts and found this when I was removing the one on at the rear of the engine. How has this stud pulled out of the head? I guess that could have missed screwing it in when I installed my turbo earlier this year but that seems unlikely since the nut is on the stud. It also appears that the stud is stripped and it also looks like I have an exhaust leak. This stud is on the drivers side and the one closest to the top of the motor. It looks like the stud is possibly broke. Ideas?

Last edited:

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
I was a betting man I would say that the stud backed out which is not necessarily uncommon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Looks broke. Can’t you reach it with some needle nose or something?
I attempted to pry it out with a screwdriver and that didn't work, but I haven't had a lot of time to deal with it. I plan on removing that heat shield to see what is going on. I agree that it looks broke and I am not sure what I should do if it is.

I am not sure how an 8mm stud could just break.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
It probably wouldn’t break unless it was over torqued. I’m work on Ford mod motors a lot so broken manifold studs are an everytime occurrence. Lol

Hopefully it backed out as mentioned above.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nissan, Ford, and even a few Toyota and GM products are notorious for that sort of thing. Volkswagens are not. So I'd say it is due to an improper install. There should have been a flanged nut or a washer behind the nut on there.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Nissan, Ford, and even a few Toyota and GM products are notorious for that sort of thing. Volkswagens are not. So I'd say it is due to an improper install. There should have been a flanged nut or a washer behind the nut on there.

I installed a new PD140 this year and Andrew Rodriquez suggested that it is not necessary to replace the studs. This was probably a mistake.

I am not sure why it would be necessary to use a washer if using a new crimped copper new. Maybe that is what the manual calls for but not sure why it would be necessary.

Regardless, it looks like I am going to at least have to remove the heat shield and see if I can replace the stud. If not, then I am going to have to pull the turbo and just replace all of the studs.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Every VAG engine built in the last ~25 years or so that I am aware of uses a fat steel washer with that type of nut on the manifold/turbo to head OR uses a flanged self locking nut. Never like you have.

Since I have never seen the OE way (above mentioned) fall apart as in your picture, I can only call on Occam's Razor and say that the incorrect use of hardware is the reason why it came apart.

You did not need to replace the studs.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So here is the update. I removed the turbo and the stud was broke. I was able to get a hole drilled in the stud and I got lucky and was able to extract it.

I bought new gaskets and a good stud kit. I believe that this stud kit is for a Porsche, but I was able to get it for about $40

I removed my EGR cooler and cleaned my intake manifold when I installed this turbo earlier this year. As you can see my intake is as clean as it was when I cleaned it 15k miles ago.