FrostHeater for ALH

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
Hi
FrostHeater.com says they use Gates Brand hoses developed exclusively for these kits, which I don't believe.
They most likely used what ever make of car and model hoses and cut, if need be, to fit.
I live in Canada and dollar is pretty bad right now, so that would be $195 + shipping + duty charges + what ever else the border sticks it to us Canadians.
So my questions is can anyone with this kit, for an ALH look to see what the part #'s are for these "
exclusively made" hoses are.
Thanks

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hi
FrostHeater.com says they use Gates Brand hoses developed exclusively for these kits, which I don't believe.
They most likely used what ever make of car and model hoses and cut, if need be, to fit.
I live in Canada and dollar is pretty bad right now, so that would be $195 + shipping + duty charges + what ever else the border sticks it to us Canadians.
So my questions is can anyone with this kit, for an ALH look to see what the part #'s are for these "
exclusively made" hoses are.
Thanks
Nothing Terry Frost said is untrue. He didn't say Gates developed them. He developed them using Gates hoses nice that he did that footwork for you.
I guess it sucks living in Canada with "duty charges + what ever else the border sticks it to us Canadians." If you want a complete proven and engineered coolant heater for your car ....well Terry Frost be the man. You are asking for someone to crawl around under their car and spell it out for you so you can reverse engineer it. That ain't gonna be me!
What is it worth to you to have a nice warm car and if you encounter any problems with the install Terry will be just a phone call away and more than willing to assist you. The free M&Ms are just a nice way of him saying thank-you.

There are other threads here on how to cobble together a coolant heater for your car I suggest you do a search and then you are on your own.
Best regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Dunno what you do for a living, OP, but I wonder how you'd feel about a thread where people were asking how to cut you out of the picture because of an unfavorable exchange rate.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
>has money to buy parts for a car he owns.
>complains about the economical status of his countries currency
ITS CALLED "Buy once Cry once"
get over it

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
Crawdaddy; I feel your pain. I too am a Canadian and I agree with you about all the additional charges we have to bare if we want anything from the US. I was looking into the Frostheater for my (new to me) 2006 Golf BEW TDI but went a DIY direction by searching this forum and using Google to find what hoses and heater people were using. I settled on a series 8000 Zerostart 1500 watt heater (3308003) with the check valve removed. Some straight 5/8" heater rated hose to go from the OHE to the bottom of the Zerostart and a molded Gates 18785 hose to go from the top of the heater back to the line previously from the OHE. And a 5/8" brass union. I bought the heater and brass fitting at Canadian Tire and used 27.00 of saved up Canadian Tire "money" to reduce the cost. The Gates hose came from an auto parts store as well as the straight 5/8" line. I have about 120.00 CDN invested and about an hour of my time to get the parts. I don't mind a bit of fab work. Remember this for a BEW engine.

Yes you can buy from Frostheater.com and that's a great option for some. But everything is available locally if you're willing to do the research and leg-work.

Someone should start a Canukheater North company!!!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I bought a ZeroStart heater unit at a fleet store and fabbed the rest out of whatever I had on hand or could scrounge up. Been working great for over ten years.
Maybe some of the crazy import fees helps pay for the socialized healthcare system up north, I don't know.
But, it was all spelled out many years ago in old threads as to what parts/hoses to make up your own "homemade" kit.