Looking for VCDS in LA area

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Got a gal down there with an ALH Jetta with low power. The CEL has been on because of a glow plug and now there's something else. She said its about 40 MPH uphill.

Monday she is flying to Mexico for a week so her dad will be able to poke around with it a bit but they need some guidance. She looked over the vacuum lines and saw nothing obvious and there is no black smoke.

Car has somewhere around 200,000 IIRC and I did the TB last spring.

My first thought is a cracked main vacuum pipe at the pump but it could be about anything at this point. Her dad will have a much better clue what to do if he can get this thing scanned. She is in Culver City.

She just said that restarting it clears it so it's limp mode for sure. I'll have her dad look the turbo lever movement.

mmg1114

TDI
2006 Jetta Tdi Atlantic Blue
I'd love to hear the results of the investigation. Interestingly enough, I also experienced the same problems at the same time. Car seemed fine crawling through Thanksgiving eve traffic from San Diego to Joshua Tree. Then as soon as the 2000 ft climb to the high desert started, I could barely get the car to maintain 45 mph. Of course, CEL only came on two days later as I was heading back down to LA. And then it went out the next day and the car was flying like usual. Noticed a quick hiccup uphill this weekend but otherwise performance seems mostly normal. Hoping its just the MAF playing games

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I'll be able to look at the car tomorrow when she comes in for a winter tire change-over while I'm doing a clutch on an ALH. Uhg. I forgot that part. Well, he can wait until Thursday for the clutch if need be. Probably sticky vanes on her car just like the Ford 6.0 last week. But he didn't drive the truck much and I know she does, but I need to make sure she DRIVES it. So I'll diagnose her car then get back to the clutch. No rest for the wicked. Ok, I'm actually having a friend fly me to Vegas, Baby this weekend so I guess I will get a bit of rest.

I guess she was able to just keep cycling the key if she hit limp mode. I haven't talked to her or her dad since I started this thread so I don't know what's happenin'.

Ok, now I'm babbling. I should go.