Help Replacing struts and shocks

troutguy

Veteran Member
I was wondering if anyone knows of a post which explains the procedure for replacing the shocks and struts on a 99.5 Jetta.

I have looked in the "How To" thread and there does not seem to be anything there which would cover what I need. I am going to put in some Bilstein TC's and would love to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

thanks, Pete

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
All good advice; I'd add, get the spreader bit for where the lower end of the front struts is clamped. A large screwdriver works, but the spreader bit is sweet.

Also, I never mess with lowering the sub frame or removing axles. I use a good set of spring clamps and that works like a charm, especially on the passenger side.

Once you have the front end up in the air on jack stands and the wheels removed, use the jack to lift the lower control arm up a bit, THEN but the spring clamps onto the now slightly compressed springs. That is all you need. Remove the bolt and use the spreader bit, lower the jack and the strut will slide out and clear the control arm easily.

Here is the thread from when I did mine: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=94737&highlight=bilstein+HD

Last edited:

troutguy

Veteran Member
Thank You

You guys are great. I have the tools (spreader tool, spring clamps, and the proper wrench from Metalnerd) that are needed for the job and I have the Bentley Manual and if you believe it the Haynes Manual (Herm mentioned at the HO5G get together a few weeks ago that the Haynes Manual is better for doing this procedure).

But the information that you all provided is just what I needed.

Thanks a lot.

Pete

edited to include tool list

Last edited:

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Pete:

Gimmie a call if you need a hand over the phone... I just did that job on the Jetta a year ago... PM sent.

-Rich

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Still fresh in my mind too. Did it about 2 months ago. Be patient with the passenger side. You do not have to drop the sub-frame or remove the axle. It may not seem like it at install time, but it will go, trust me.