Correct Battery Size for 2001 Golf TDI

TDI
2001 golf TDI blue 4dr
I just go my car and I think the battery is too small, mine is a 700 amp hour, but I think Canadian tire recomends an 840. Does anyone know the correct size?

fhryder

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI (tornado red)
Hi:
Get the biggest mother of a battery you can squeeze into the battery carrier. This applies to all cars, but even moreso to a diesel. Measure your battery and it's carrier then go see what CTC recommends, how big it is and if there are any bigger that will still fit.

Frank

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Check the archives (is search back up?)
The battery is a special size particular to VW and sold only by the dealer, but we've found a few that work well.
You probably need more than 700CCA, check your old battery and get at least that.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The perfect fit /images/graemlins/blush.gif :

it's produced by Douglas and is an exact match. i have no idea where you boyz in the GWN will purchase it, though.

Fast_SilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
I bought one from Canadian Tire and it fits really well with the mounting hardware that VW uses. It's got the feet that fit exactly. The battery that comes with the car is 650CCA's and the Motomaster 72 is 680 CCA's so a bit more powerful. I"ve had it for a year and it still cranks super well in super cold weather and it fits really well. You won't have to make any mods. It was like 89.

TDI
2001 golf TDI blue 4dr
Thanks for all the info, I guess mine will be fine b/c it was free. is there a place that has all these types of specs and more.