2009 TDI: Timing Belt or Chain

II_Kings_9_20

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Just curious if NE1 knows the status of the 2009 TDI engine re: timing belt or chain. I am planning to get a TDI Sportwagen and have never owned a Diesel with a belt with a required replacement. I have owned an '80 Citroen CX 2500D (36mpg) and an '85 Peugeot 505D (35mpg) both with chains that never needed service.

If the TDI is belted, how often is a change needed?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Chains that never need service, LOL. Where is oilhammer...

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Timing belt.

And in case you are not aware all timing chains require servicing at a FAR higher price in most cases especially when chain sprockets and guides require replacement in a nut shell it's called engine overhaul depending on how far they have to go. My 2006 Mercedes CDI requires a chain inspection at 140,000 miles and replacement if required. The cost of that service will pay for 5-6 timing belt kits in a TDI or about $1500 assuming all the sprockets and guides are in good shape, if not add another $2,000 to the charge. Of course if I continue to use proper oils the odds of abnormal wear are low, so we will see how it looks when I get to that point. Keep in mind that we are talking about a $15,000 engine.

The timing belt interval on the new CR TDI will be the same as it has been since 2003 which is 100,000 miles.

DB

II_Kings_9_20

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Thanks for the input, I should qualify, I have never had a chain car that needed service or failed during my ownership (e.g. 165K on a'92 Buick 3800 and 210K on an '87 300E both with the vast majority of miles put on by me).

I have had several belts that needed service (2 Alfas, 1 Honda) during my ownership. Needless to say, in my experience of owning more than 40 cars, chains are superior to belts.

About that CDI inspection at 140K, pricey I am sure but it's not every 40K and though I am new to the TDI forums I see TB figures at $1000. I read a while back (you guys enlighten me) that the TDI needs a TB every 40K, it begins to add up. Not an issue at all if it is indeed at 100K, no different from my Ody and MDX 105K TB service. It won't stop me from buying one but I would rather have a chain like my old CX that purred like new at 150K and never needed chain service. It's a nothing issue if the VW service is 100K rather than the 40K I thought.

BTW,Yes, I am aware that chains need service, the Citroen SM every 35K at $2000 as well as the Alfa Romeo Montreal $$$$ with it's water pump in head (engine tear down to replace the pump) at 40K or so, both with very long, single sprocket, convoluted chains.

Last edited:

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
As II_Kings_9_20 , none of the cars I owned with a timing chain needed service when he owned them. Maybe it's just because I didn't keep them for too long but it seem to me that the timing chain really is superior to timing belt. It would be interesting to see what the timing chain look like on a car with 250 000km...

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
My brother inlaw has a 1989 Chevy truck with the 5.7L V8. It has over 375,00 miles and still runs fine. But it's a push rod motor so the timing chain is short.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
II_Kings_9_20 said:
Thanks for the input, I should qualify, I have never had a chain car that needed service or failed during my ownership (e.g. 165K on a'92 Buick 3800 and 210K on an '87 300E both with the vast majority of miles put on by me).

I have had several belts that needed service (2 Alfas, 1 Honda) during my ownership. Needless to say, in my experience of owning more than 40 cars, chains are superior to belts.

About that CDI inspection at 140K, pricey I am sure but it's not every 40K and though I am new to the TDI forums I see TB figures at $1000. I read a while back (you guys enlighten me) that the TDI needs a TB every 40K, it begins to add up. Not an issue at all if it is indeed at 100K, no different from my Ody and MDX 105K TB service. It won't stop me from buying one but I would rather have a chain like my old CX that purred like new at 150K and never needed chain service. It's a nothing issue if the VW service is 100K rather than the 40K I thought.

BTW,Yes, I am aware that chains need service, the Citroen SM every 35K at $2000 as well as the Alfa Romeo Montreal $$$$ with it's water pump in head (engine tear down to replace the pump) at 40K or so, both with very long, single sprocket, convoluted chains.
The only TDI belts that were rated for ONLY 40K were the early A4 automatic transmission cars. And those can be fitted with parts that will allow the belt to be changed every 100k instead. Even the early TDIs had belt change intervals for 60k.

Belts are much cheaper and easier to change. If they require it more frequently, so be it.

EDIT: I've noticed that the V6 and larger TDIs do in fact use chains. Several, in fact. The 4 cyl. utilizes the belt.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
100,000 mile belt.

The updated belt path has a large idler that helps cover 75% of the toothed surface of the injection pump. It's simular to the belt path of the ALH, just with the large idler up top.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Lots of generalizations here. Both have their good and bad points. Stating that doing a belt is easier than doing a chain isn't necessarily true. 330 for a TDI belt kit is comparable to doing a chain and gears/ guides/ w-pump on a Corolla for example(I think the corolla is cheaper) and the Corolla is a snap to do.
Most(but not all) of the time a chain will outlast a belt by 1.5-2 times or more. Chains offer more precise timing because they do not flex as much. this allows much tighter combustion chambers and smaller squish bands which decrease emissions and promote more power and economy. That is why most manufacturers got away from them-emissions-over the past few years. They are quieter than chains by far.
Just because a belt is rated at 100k doesn't mean you shouldn't replace it at 80 or 90 to be safe. It also doesn't mean that it really will or won't make it to 100 or beyond. That is a suggestion nothing more. If it wasn't then why don't the manufacturers of the belts give you a 100k warranty on them?
Neither is something you should worry about provided the maintenance is done correctly and on time or early.

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Back in 1991 I was driving a Saab 900T, 8V, which had a timing chain. I had a great mechanic, who during a routine inspection told me that some part was showing some wear and ought to be replaced. But I was in the process of transferring to Hawaii and never had an opportunity to schedule the work before I left. About 8 months later I returned to Hawaii from a WestPac/Persian Gulf deployment, and about 1 month after that the timing chain broke and destroyed the head. (Big hole in the valve cover.) The Saab had about 130k miles on it at the time. My mistake was having the head rebuilt instead of getting a 16V head replacement. But there was a lot that I didn't know at the time.

So timing chains can break, they are not maintenance-free for the life of the car. Any car.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
TornadoRed said:
(snip) So timing chains can break, they are not maintenance-free for the life of the car. Any car.
__. And as noted in the last (of many) threads on this subject, they "stretch" and lose timing accuracy. I'd want a belt if I had any intention of buying an '09 VW, which I don't.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Recently posted on IATN:

This is a post from IATN, I have already seen a couple of these myself.

Imagine how much this 130k mile Camry cost to fix!!! Ah, if only it had a simple belt :D

Rating: Status: Closed w/FixComments: No CommentsReplies: 8 (View Replies)From: James DeMossDate: Oct 11, 2005 6:06 AMREPLY: Click here to reply to this FIX!2002 Toyota Camry Engine: 2.4 L / 144 CID / 4 cyl / Gas / DOHCFuel: Fuel InjectionIgnition: DistributorlessTrans: 4-speed Automatic Transaxle (Electronic)Mileage: 132,364 miVIN: 4T1BE32K12Misc Data: 16 ValveAffected Item: EngineCondition: engine vibration at idleMore Info: Test results included below

_____________________ ORIGINAL MESSAGE _____________________

The customer has brought this in to our shop. They havealready replaced the spark plugs. The complaint was a roughidle and that the "Check Engine" light is on.When we scanned the system we found a code P1300 - erraticcrank signal but, we do not believe that has anything to dowith the vibration at idle. A compression test has revealednothing, inspection of the harmonic balancer shows it to beOK... we even checked to see if the timing chain has jumpedtime. i would like to also add that the mounts are all goodand that this is clearly a vibration issue, mechanical innature.We have searched for TSBs, iATN database, Alldata, Mitchell,and even identifix to no reward.So if any of you Toyota Gurus have any suggestions orcomments, we'd appreciate it.Thanks

___________________ TEST AND REPAIR DATA ___________________

compression tests - Good - All even at 125psi power balancetests - Good - All cylinders are equal

__________________________ UPDATE __________________________

UPDATE: The engine vibration MAY be due to stretched chains(timing chain & balance shaft). We have examined just howthis is put together and believe the the stretched chainscould be a significant contribution to the engine vibration atidle. If anyone could confirm these thoughts from recentexperiance, great. We will let the group know how this turnsout Thanks! ;-)

____________________________ FIX ___________________________

The tining chain wear was extensive enough to change the valvetiming at idle. It had not jumped teeth, nor effected thebalance shaft system which is in no direct contact other thangear to gear mesh with the crankshft in side the oil pan. Thenew chain was 1 and 1/2' shorter that the old. Remember this adual overhead cam and vsariable cam timing. Everything shouldbe smack dead on. Most responses leaned towards mounts but not a single mountwas replaces even they are 130000 miles old. This will be a good one in the archives and thanks to all thatsent thier comments. -JamesJames DeMossTechnician/Educator/InstructorC.A.R.SHouston, Texas, USAiATN Technician Sponsor (Inactive)REPLY: Click here to reply to this FIX!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
oilhammer said:
This is a post from IATN, I have already seen a couple of these myself.

Imagine how much this 130k mile Camry cost to fix!!! Ah, if only it had a simple belt
(snip)
______________ FIX ___________________________

The new chain was 1 1/2' shorter that the old.
That is an incredible amount of chain stretch.

I can't imagine what a timing chain replacement costs on a Camry. Have you got an approximate cost?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
TornadoRed said:
That is an incredible amount of chain stretch.

I can't imagine what a timing chain replacement costs on a Camry. Have you got an approximate cost?
The labor is over 6 hours, and the chain alone costs nearly $180!!! :eek: Add in the tensioner, guides, and other incidentals like coolant, water pump maybe, sealant and oil and the price gets pretty high pretty quick.

Not to worry though, seems the head bolts on many of these engines are coming loose long before the chain is worn out. LOL.... :rolleyes: