LImp mode help?

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Boost fluctations! (mod to move to a better section?)

This whole post has been re worked based on new info.

Still diagnosing boosting issues!

mods:
*EGR delete with race pipe/block off plate is the only mods, and the vacuum ball was removed. (and former vendor alh toyota swapper) did this work. It worked well.
*I did a karma tune, The n239 is tuned out, as is the n18 (i believe have not tested yet) no stored codes in vcds free version.

On to the processes

First i unplugged MAF cured limp mode,
so cleaned the maf which cured limp mode when plunged in
VCDS MAF readings were still low so per some suggestions elsewhere I replaced it.
Well the maf is working well now but the boost is still off, so it did not fix the issue.
I need to know how badly these boost numbers are breaking the turbo/engine.

Boost is still off in VCDS. What does the community thinK?

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=123736&title=vcds&cat=all
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=123735&title=vcds&cat=516
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=123734&title=vcds&cat=516
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=123733&title=vcds&cat=516

NEXT
after another nearly sleepless night of better understanding with lots of sifting and learning I tracked down somethings wrong mechanically....
I believe actuator is not working well, OR IS IT THE INTERNAL VEINS STICKING? I can't afford to throw money at this problem!
d.
see video below to see what I believe is causing the derivations between the requested and actual boost.
I don't wanna just pull the turbo, I can't just but an actuator and have it be the turbo vein lever or internals.
I guess the oven cleaner trick is my next bet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ra5TwVsUw&feature=em-upload_owner

This is clearly why the boost numbers don't match!

****Again how bad are the boost numbers (VCDS PICS above) for the turbo another components? ****

I lubed the actuator arm and moved it around. it still is loud and seems to be binding on something. I have not had a chance to drive since then.

thank you
Dennis

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You need to log in at pics.tdiclub.com, use the Upload function and harvest a link. Then post the link.
It's better to print the Excel file to a PDF or something.
Allowable file types, mpeg,mpg,avi,asf,wmv,mov,pdf,doc,xls,xlsx

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Thank you BOB! I have done so. I think this thread should now be in a diffrent location. I don't wanna x post maybe a mod can move it?

Thank you community again.
I would never have bought this car with out this page!

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Bump

I don't wanna repost in the proper section ,
But I think I'd get better response a elsewhere.

Initially it was a VCDS question but I've graduated

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Looks like one of three things.
Vacuum leak, n75 valve, or needs actuator adjustment.
When was the n75 changed last.
I would replace vacuum lines if the fibers crumble when touched, or the ends re cracking.
N75 seems expensive, however, a spare is nice if it's good.
Actuators wear and stop moving as well as they should.
Adjustment is kinda annoying, but, this doesn't have to be done often.

Remember to log 1500 to at least 4000 if not redline.
Drop the log in Malone website and post link.
This will help a lot!

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I'm on the road now, so I'll get back, but did you watch the video of the actuator too?
As soon as I get a chance (probably Wednesday of next week ) I'm gonna take the actuator off and test it that way. The hoses are all testing good when I plug one end and apply vaccume with my toung.

I think the n75 is hard to test! Lol

Thanks for the reply

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Today, I hooked up VCDS and monitored 11 boost.
at idle request is 966 actual is 1009 ( something like this) its over boosting. So I went and pulled up on the lever that moves the veins attached to the actuator. Boost then leveled out! So sucked on the hose that connects to the actuator as to actuate it and back to over boosting. SO the actuator is either not able to push the vein lever back into place, OR the veins are stuck? Not so fast!

Next, I Re routed the hoses to eliminate the n18.

Boost (on my gauge) spikes to 18-20 and settles at 12 or 13. However the VCDS still reports slight over boost at idle. but 1500-4500 WOT 3rd gear runs show the boost is actually closer than it was before, in fact a few times it was SPOT on! Weird!

Before, on WOT tests it was spiking to 13 or 14 and settling in at 9 or 10 on the ugage and was slightly off and under boosting

Guess the N18 was bad? Im gonna replace the three hoses now and then see what happens. IF nothing, ill switch the n18 with the n75 and see what happens.

If nothing changes IE boost does not level out to normal than Ill probably get stupid and try a can of oven cleaner? IF no go ill adjust the actuator arm. Then and only then will I remove the turbo and clean it and replace the actuator. First ill check for shaft play onthe turbo tho. Which I need to do any way.

I need to keep searching and reading. THe more I read the same **** over and over (in different threads) the more ideas I get.

I wish this was in the right section and I was getting some other ideas here other than my own! sometimes my ideas suck!

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Well in constantly under boost! No good! I'm not sure about this "moves easily" mine seems to make a creaking noise st the end. Pretty sure it's gonna get replaced. They a safe part to get used local guy has one that is basically new so he says and it looks good too

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Well, swapped n75 for n18.
N75 dropped pressure fast with vac, n18 help pressure a bit longer.
Boost now spikes to 20 but still only holding at 12-14 I have one vcds log on to follow.
Being the boost requested vs actual is only off by 140 at the most I don't think it's the actuator adjustment. Maybe the pieces inside are rusty tho. It makes some noise.
I tested al the vaccume hose and they all hold -25" reliably. I'm replacing them soon becaUe one is frayed, so it's cheap Insirance.
I'm frustrated and on a budget.

My biggest question relates to the above statement about boost being off by 150 over being good. What about 150 under?
Perhaps my boost guage is the problem , I did take it apart when I got it .

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
150 under isn't so bad. I would recommend adjusting to 150 over if you are experiencing low boost issues though.
Logging is the only way to tell though.
Post a couple sequential logs and we might see what you need.

Can't say much without the numbers to compare.

Max boost at 20 and holding at 14-15 isn't bad depending on the tune.

If it's tuned to boost at 22 and you're only getting 20 then it's probably the adjustment, or the control components.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Here's a video and a log from yesterday
A few sequential logs from a few weeks ago

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.p...-34ccb0f9-89a3-475e-add3-bbe4005f3924&cat=500

Looks like the video does not work
Here is what the boost guage is doing.
I'll do more logs soon. VCDS Is Showing s max of 150 underboost. It is pretty close, if the boost guage was not wonky I'd not even care , but Charlie said my tune should look like this
"3000 rpm = 17.4 psi
3500 rpm = 17 psi
4000 rpm = 16.6 psi
4500 rpm = 14.5 psi"

Here's what it's doing now, before I swapped for the n18 it was only spiking to 18 and then holding about the same
https://youtu.be/5GkN3SJ7r1w

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It's common for it to boost to the maximum and then decrease a bit.
If it's under the maximum by 150 consistently and swapping to the n18 doesn't change it the actuator needs adjustment.
If there is an improvement, replace the n75 and then adjust to 150 over.

It could be sticking low and needing cleaning to function properly.
I'd separate the actuator from the lever and see how well the lever moves.
if its sticky at all it may need chemical cleaning, or plausibly the intake needs cleaning, however, clogged intake is less likely.