Page not found

Oops! Wrong way. Let’s try another route. You can also reach
VW Owner’s Customer CARE at
1-800-822-8987 from
8 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET.

clanburrows

TDI
05 Passat tdi wagon
looking at a tdi golf sports wagon on car.com 2015 with 3000 miles only for $20000, what kind of trouble can I get into if i buy this vehicle.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
looking at a tdi golf sports wagon on car.com 2015 with 3000 miles only for $20000, what kind of trouble can I get into if i buy this vehicle.
Trouble? None. That appears to be a great price. My only concern would be where you live. If you live in a non emissions check state and I wanted one that would appear to be a great buy.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Neither are most new items that have not hit the streets yet, so that point is irrelevant . . . it's not like they were taking online orders. I just see it as feeding the nuts who are hysterically fearmongering about things that nobody has said will happen . . .

- Tim

mikeb95

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 TDI pkg. 2, DSG white/beige
Curious as to why the software did not affect the Toureg and it's still shown on the VW.com site and seen on dealers websites.

I would have thought that bigger vehicle would have had the same software enhancement as the rest of them.

(note: I'm a software developer, we don't call them bugs....just undocumented enhancements)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The answer you seek is in the big giant thread. IIRC the bigger engines don't have to work as hard and don't produce as high temps and hence lower Nitric Oxides.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I'm hoping this is still somewhat related to the thread. While the TDI in the Sportwagen is in limbo, I would hope that VW would offer their hybrid as an option to the Sprotwagen models. Having a lower fuel usage option in a car that is so deserving of it should continue. Perhaps they will eventually get to the best option - a hybrid diesel in the Sportwagen!

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I'm hoping this is still somewhat related to the thread. While the TDI in the Sportwagen is in limbo, I would hope that VW would offer their hybrid as an option to the Sprotwagen models. Having a lower fuel usage option in a car that is so deserving of it should continue. Perhaps they will eventually get to the best option - a hybrid diesel in the Sportwagen!
I used to think the same, but from an engineering perspective, a diesel is a poor choice for a hybrid, where the engine constantly turns off and on, which is something inherently cold-blooded diesels do not like to do.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Wouldn't the motor be used enough to stay warm? I understand it's harder on the starter from the high compression?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well, it would depend on the driving cycle. Just puttering around town, and if the battery is half way decent sized, the engine most likely wouldn't stay near enough operating temp to remain in its most economical operating range.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Passat is included in the list, but was not named. It was named as one of the TDI models included in the approx. 488,000 affected vehicles when they originally announced the diesel problem back in Sept. 2015. I hope it is, as I would like to have that option if I don't like the fix they propose.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The $5000 amount being quoted isn't set in stone, and I wouldn't be surprised if the amount differs by year/model. Have to wait for something official. All these unnamed sources may or may not be correct.

That said, I'd take the value of the Jetta from then, plus some cash, and give it back. It has 100,000 miles and little things are getting annoying. For my Passat, I'm more inclined to see if there's going to be an acceptable fix and keep the car. Looking at NADAGuides, my Passat is listed about $4-5K less than it was when this started. Just have to see what comes down.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Passat is included in the list, but was not named. It was named as one of the TDI models included in the approx. 488,000 affected vehicles when they originally announced the diesel problem back in Sept. 2015. I hope it is, as I would like to have that option if I don't like the fix they propose.

Yes it is an affected car, but it is not a GEN. 1 commonrail. It is fitted with SCR, so most likely you won't be eligible for a buy-back and will only need a software update.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Just this morning I saw this news article that said VW will propose an option to fix or buyback all TDI models in the US, and the buyback price will be at fair market value plus a chunk of cash, $5000 was a figure tossed around but not confirmed. Tempting, but BECAUSE of the emission issue, what would "fair market value" be at this point, probably very low, at least until there is a "fix" available at which time the market value might go back up.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...iesel-cars-sources/ar-BBs2iUT?ocid=spartandhp

Edit, re-read the article and it states that the market value would be based on value PRIOR to the emission story became public...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.