Car Talk needs an Anti-FUD!

Callan

Hey TDI Guys and Gals

Click and Clack, the intrepid 'Tappit' brothers, have FUD'd diesel on their show. Their concerns were:

1. Cold starting
2. Emissions/Smell
3. Speed of take off
4. Fuel availability

I responded on those 4 points, but they won't do anything unless they get a lot of responses to their FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt for you non-programming types).

It is time for a mass response on their website -- http://www.cartalk.org --

Try to get a public correction! Email them! If we can generate enough response, they *might* admit they don't know much about the modern diesels. One hopes...

Torque to the People!

Callan

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>It is time for a mass response on their website <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Waste of time. They are in the entertainment business, not the car repair business. They were informative and funny when they began their radio career, now they are just two more idiots blabbering on the airwaves.

Ron 33

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta GLS Atlantic Blue, Manual
I heard the click & clack show today also and thought what a bummer they were giving diesels, especially TDI's. Everyone needs to educate these yahoos. Yes it is just entertainment but a lot of people listen to these guys! We need to make ourselves heard so they can correct the record on the latest technological advances for diesel in a VW.
Not to mention that it will run on 100% biodegradable fuel which is renewable in this country and does not depend on OPEC.

I sent "them" a note also.

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: Ron 33 ]

Drizzten

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5spd, 2002, Candy White
I mentioned how I was getting a VW TDI to my brother-in-law, and the very first thing he said was, "So you aren't concerned about the environmental impact?" He said it kindly, but it annoyed me since he's usually a pretty well-informed guy. I told him about the mileage you get with TDIs and he immediately brightened up. That bothered me further. Of course, it isn't anyone's JOB to learn about new tech as it comes out...

Oh well. As soon as I get a chance, I'll take the TDI down to him to give him a ride.

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: Drizzten ]

cgs2000

Veteran Member
The boys may have dipped too deeply into the Chianti...or perhaps are just getting careless. Here's my reply:

"You underestimated the current VW diesel engines in your show yesterday. I've enjoyed one for the past 10 months, and although the winter temp here in Cincinnati seldom subs 10 degrees, it has always started, promptly. One of my most enjoyable driving experiences is surging up a steep hill at 80 MPH, waving to otherwise overpowered SUVs, from my modest Golf with auto transmission. The diesel odor is minimal; low end torque is fantastic.
I suggest you invite some TDI owner from the Boston area to take you for a ride.
Please stay informed: your humor is great, but your automobile knowledge should be even better."

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
I heard the show-
It was more like "Should the chick that called in get a Diesel" - they said NO.

They are info-tainment at best- I like them,though.

Jared_in_Charlot

Veteran Member
Unfortunately it appears that all the threads titled "VW Diesel" have been deleted from Click and Clack's BBS Forum.

None of the threads were hostile, but all tried to open the eyes of the general public (and Click and Clack) to what good cars these are. I suppose some folks prefer to go thru life with their eyes shut.

EnviroMan

Veteran Member
Here is a link to be able to hear Last Saturday's show. Segment four contains the discussion about the woman from Michigan who wants to buy a Golf "diesel".
http://cartalk.cars.com/Radio/Show/

Their answer proves that they know nothing about TDIs. Years ago this was a good show... now they focus less and less on good information. Of course, they represent your average ignoramus when it comes to TDIs. Personally, I'm glad they are working hard to keep the TDI a secret. I work for "Big Oil" and my other car is a SUV!!

Jared_in_Charlot

Veteran Member
I think the posts were deleted because the posters didn't register. One would think if registration was so important that they wouldn't allow the post to be accepted and displayed in the first place.

The problem is that the "Second Opinion" section of their BBS doesn't seem to be dedicated to second opinions at all. It's more like a social club to discuss anything but cars.

It's a shame that they deleted the TDI posts... they were the only signal in a room full of noise.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Did you notice that segment 4 was sponsered by Mercedes-Benz who no longer market diesel vehicles in the US? I think I smell something and it may not be diesel.

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
Hi folks, first post. I am the guy who wrote the original post to the Click and Klack BB. Maybe they deleted it because I used the word Crappy. Didn't seem to be anything stronger than they use on air. Actually this has been great because due to the fellow from Charlotte linking to my letter to Car Talk, I was contacted by an old buddy from Tulsa who I hadn't heard from in some time. I have to admit I am really disappointed that this would occur. But on the other hand, this is how I discovered this site. Spent an hour on Sunday night just going over the FAQ's. Learned a lot which is about time since I have owned the car for 5 years. Paid it off last March and love it to death.

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
Well some folks did post to my inquirey on deleting the diesel thread from the Car Talk BB. It seems to be unanimous that the reason for deletion was the lack of being registered.Wish I had known that in the first place before investing all that time and effort.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Does anyone have the email addresses for VW chairman and public relations? Perhaps letting them know about this might get an official response. Maybe not. The caller was still going to buy a Golf, just not a TDI.

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
For what it's worth, I posted to Click and Clunk's BB again to ask if we oil burners did anything to offend. Kept it light and friendly so lets see.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I drive to and from the place where that "chick" called from.

EVERY DAY never a problem starting.

there is GREAT fuel easily availible in the Mt Pleasant area (3+ stations carrying Amoco Premier Diesel Fuel w/in 20 miles)!!!!!

that was the first thing that pissed me off -

"HOW COLD DOES IT GET? One pair of long underwear or 2?"

*** does long underwear have to do with these new TDIs??????????

I had to turn it off much to the displeasure of my stepfather. His comment was - so what - they are funny!

WELL being funny is one thing spreading lies - missinformation and all that Bullcrap is criminal in my mind and makes me mad.

This isn't the first time I have heard them go off without knowing what they are talking about. But then I have heard them give some great advice so . . . who's to say.

Anyone wanna stop by their place and let them see what a Nice clean Diesel can do?

Better yet lockem up in a sealed room with a running TDI burning some of that World Energy B100!

They can GFS as far as I am concerned. I have written them about this 3 times - the VW diesel specifically - never a response.

cgs2000

Veteran Member
Here's VWoA's PR guy:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:47:44 -0400 "Fouladpour, Tony" <Tony.Fouladpour@vw.com> writes:
thanks for your defense of TDI honor...tf
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 9:59 AM
To: Tony.Fouladpour@vw.com
Subject: Fw: Click & Clack goof

J Anway

Being in the PR field myself, I find that very interesting. Apparently VWoA's PR cares as much for the company and product lines as the "replacement artists" at the dealerships.

Booooooooooooooo...

PS. Never shop at Thelen VW in Bay City, MI. Email me if you're looking to get a car from them. Thelens eat their young.