Dsg oil change

jodiibe

TDI
Jetta
Has anyone ever changed the DSG oil WITHOUT the Vag-Com tool. Can't I just drain out the oil & measure it, add the same amount plus a little bit. Warm up the tranny (shifting thru all the gears), and drain the excess from the stand pipe? I freely admit I am trying to save a buck or 200 hundred. Please advise

Turbofuego

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
You could probably go to Harbor Freight (or somewhere else) and buy a non-contact laser thermometer to measure the transmission temperature instead of using VCDS. This should work almost as well.

Have Fun!

Don

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Has anyone ever changed the DSG oil WITHOUT the Vag-Com tool.
JasonTDI (guru) does.

Remove filter, remove snorkel and plug, drain, replace snorkel and plug, top fill 4.6 litres through filter housing, replace filter, drive.

No Vag-Com, no special adapter, no temp measurement, no esoteric overflow process.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Yes, no need for VAGCOM. Warm up the transmission, follow the DSG fluid change instructions, and you are good to go. If you fill from the top thru the filter, warm up your bottles of new tranny fluid. It helps pour quicker. There's a thread in the 2009 section that has very good instructions on doing the DSG fluid change. It helps to have two people, but it can be done with just one person.
Have fun and enjoy saving a few bucks!!!

NegativeEd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Dieselgate
This is the exact same question I had. Does the oil NEED to be added from underneath or can this whole thing be done just similar to an oil change? Meaning, drain the oil, measure how much you took out, plug the bottom of the tranny back up, pour the oil in through the filter housing, replace the filter and be done with it.

The whole process just seems some what odd to me. Having to force more oil than needed into a device from underneath, warming it up, letting the excess drain back out, etc. It almost seems that it would make more sense to fill it from the top, replace the filter, THEN warm it up and let it drain.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Yes, slow process thru the oil filter housing.. but it can, and is routinely done. Three times myself.

Faster from the bottom.. but who doesn't have extra time to work on their VW... I think its in the owners manual.... "plan lots of time for repair work with your new VW" :D

I've only checked the level once in three fills...

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I'v done a few of the DGS services. I have built a "Herm-O-filler" for the DSG service through the filter mounting. The Herm-O-Filler does the fill in less than 10 minutes.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
what metric tools and sizes in (MM's) do i need. I am going to do this over Christmas break. Thanks for the help
Torque Vaules:
Oil Filter Cap: 18 Ft. Lbs
Eng oil Drain Plug: 22 Ft. Lbs
DGS Fltr Cap: 15Ft. Lbs
DSG Drain Plug: 33Ft. Lbs

DSG Drain Plug: 14MM allen tip

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
This is the exact same question I had. Does the oil NEED to be added from underneath or can this whole thing be done just similar to an oil change? Meaning, drain the oil, measure how much you took out, plug the bottom of the tranny back up, pour the oil in through the filter housing, replace the filter and be done with it.

The whole process just seems some what odd to me. Having to force more oil than needed into a device from underneath, warming it up, letting the excess drain back out, etc. It almost seems that it would make more sense to fill it from the top, replace the filter, THEN warm it up and let it drain.
When you drain the DSG sump drain it carefully. Measure it. Install the same amount as what fluid that you took out.

If you fill through the filter housing fill it... S-L-O-W-L-Y !

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Herm-O-Filler? OK... I'll bite.

I've only got 10k till my next change so I hope this isn't too complicated...:D

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Yep, I don't use the bottom fill nor the VCDS. No need. The "bottom fill" will ALWAYS end up 1/2 L short on fluid, makes a huge mess and wastes oil.

I've done over 300 DSG services some cars not 6 times with no issues.

If I could train my shop lackey to do them.......anyone can do them.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
OK, here's a newby question, why and how often does the DSG fluid need draining/changing?

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
OK, here's a newby question, why and how often does the DSG fluid need draining/changing?
Every 40,000 miles is the scheduled service interval for the DSG.
Why...This gear-box is not one you should consider the idea of "skipping" the service, this gear-box isn't cheap.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Why - also because you may want VW to not have a compelling reason to deny warranty service on your DSG should you have an issue during the 5/60 warranty period. But you can do whatever you want.;)

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Of course it's not .... The 40k is the first expensive service interval :D

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course it's not .... The 40k is the first expensive service interval :D
Last I checked, DIY the DSG service for about $120 and oil change, fuel, air, and cabin filters for another $100 in parts. IMHO, $220 is inexpensive, if you DIY.:D

One can then afford to buy a VCDS (and a few tools like sockets for the filter caps, Walmart funnel, and torx and allen bits) with the money saved over dealer charge by DIY.;)

Of course if you take it to the dealer, they will do a lot more for the 40k service than the above like: check coolant, brakes, battery, cv joints, exhaust, lights, wipers, sunroof, and a lot more for likely another 2 hours of labor charges for a total bill likely in excess of $600.:rolleyes: Now that's getting up there.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Extended use on tranny fluid

Has anyone tested their tranny fluid after a DSG service? I'm curious to know if we can go longer than 40K. I'm looking at going 45K before I change it. When I did the first 40K service, the original tranny fluid I drained looked exactly the same as the new tranny fluid. Felt the same. I know this isn't scientific, but basically it looked the same. No contaminants or strange looking crud in it. With a sealed system, the amount of debris would be minimal. Unless the components of the transmission are grinding, the wear and tear on the transmission should be minimal. I honestly think we can go longer than 40K. Isn't the Audi with the same engine/tranny schedule for 50K?
If anyone has any info on "extended life" transmission fluid change, please share.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Did your 2009 qualify for the DSG 100k mile extended warranty?

If so, why chance getting a potential DSG claim denied because you didn't follow the maintenance schedule. Control valves varnish up in the mechatronics unit and it needs replaced and VW denies claim because you didn't perform the maintenance on time.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Plus 3- think I will change at 80K to keep VW on my side until the 100K warranty is up. ;)
Would the DSG last longer (less wear and tear) if you keep it in Auto vs. manual shifting?

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I'v done a few of the DGS services. I have built a "Herm-O-filler" for the DSG service through the filter mounting. The Herm-O-Filler does the fill in less than 10 minutes.
I'm not sure if Herm sold his patent on the Herm-o-filler but I bought a $3 oil fill tube at Walmart and I swear it was designed for the TDI DSG to fill from the top side.

The end of the tube slides right inside the neck of the filter housing, the oil cap adapter fits the new VW bottles, and it has a nifty screw on/off valve to keep it neat. The only downside is you have to cut a small air slit in the bottom of the bottle once upside down.

They also sell a funnel with the same tube and end that would work well too.

To give you a time frame, I put a bottle on, pulled the lug nut caps off of each wheel, and by the time I got back around to the front, bottle was empty. Simply closed the valve, pulled it off the hose, put a new bottle on, reattached the hose and opened the valve, then cut a slit.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure if Herm sold his patent on the Herm-o-filler but I bought a $3 oil fill tube at Walmart and I swear it was designed for the TDI DSG to fill from the top side.

The end of the tube slides right inside the neck of the filter housing, the oil cap adapter fits the new VW bottles, and it has a nifty screw on/off valve to keep it neat. The only downside is you have to cut a small air slit in the bottom of the bottle once upside down.

They also sell a funnel with the same tube and end that would work well too.

To give you a time frame, I put a bottle on, pulled the lug nut caps off of each wheel, and by the time I got back around to the front, bottle was empty. Simply closed the valve, pulled it off the hose, put a new bottle on, reattached the hose and opened the valve, then cut a slit.
I saw that at Walmart a few months back and may buy it to replace my Walmart funnel when I do my 80k DSG fluid change.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Should we buy the NMS Passat w/DSG (which seems inevitable, because VW insists on not making the 6MT available at the high-end trim SEL), I would under no circumstances consider anything but the top-fill method described, and I don't even own the car yet.

It can be done in a completely straightforward manner, and the only "special tools" required are 1) a container suitable for a fairly close measurement of the amount of oil drained, and 2) the Wal-Mart funnel described...which is also available on Amazon for less than $7 as the "Hopkins FloTool 10704 Spill Saver Measu-Funnel."

Benefits:

No nonsensical $200+ Rube Goldberg apparatus from VW for filling from underneath.

No requirement to hook car to VCDS "intensive care" computer monitoring to check the bejeebering transmission oil temperature. (Yes, yes, I know there are many good reasons to own the VCDS software, but this isn't one of them.)

No overflow mess and oil wastage (this, in my mind, makes the whole VW procedure wasteful of resources and therefore environmentally unsound- a FAIL for VW engineering).

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
With my newly discovered (but I'm not the first) commercial production Herm-O-Filler this change now takes less than an hour start to finish.

I simply drain and dump in 5 l. This past change I drained out a hair under 4.75 l. and that was after I did a by the book VCDS and all fluid level check 25k miles ago. Last fill (30k ago) I put in 5 l. also

The reason I checked the fluid at that time was I had a vibration... but that ended up being my new wheels and tires that I put on the same day as the DSG service... Who would have thought dealership bought new take offs would have been out of balance. :rolleyes:

When I did the fluid check, less than a pint came out and I'm not a gambling man... but I'm willing to bet the farm that .25 l. isn't going to hurt nuthin...:cool:

I drain the tranny with the front wheels on ramps so I may be getting more out than if the car was level.

Blackbird235

TDI
Passat cc Tdi CR 2.0 DSG 6 model 2010
Dear readers

My name is Amir, i'm a newbie member in tdiclub.com from Tunisia. I was searching for a guide to change my DSG 6speed oil because i reached 40,000M. I have a passat cc 2.0 tdi CR DSG 6 model 2010. I saw the discussion about dsg oil change then intended to write you to get some infos about the top fill method if you would.
My DSG 02E has a volume of 7,2 litr, i saw your post about filling 4.6 in all cases without warming the car ( is that true ? )
Would you confirm the oil volume to add and which will be drained from the 02E DSG because i hesitate about the amount of my car! I saw a post about someone who get 3.5L drained! I'm affraid to do it and get more than 4.5L, some other postes said that they drained 5.5 L. Would you please clarify these infos for me and how to diy by filling from filter house and please the details about warming or not the DSG! The time if warming! It Would be wise from you to get the hole checklist.

Thank you much
Cordially