2006 Jetta GPS NAV system

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
Hi,

I am looking at getting a 2006 Jetta in the next couple of days. One of the models that I found has the DVD based Navigation system on it. Does anyone have that on there car? If you do could you explain the operation of it to me (not what button to push, but how good it works)? How intelligent is the system? I have a Megellan hand held that I use for hiking and canoeing. How similar are the two? Yes I could take it for a test drive, but then I have to put up with the VW sales man. They don't give discounts when you drop them in a hole 10 miles out of town. Thank in advance for you expert advice.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
That is the MFD2 System and if it is anything like the MFD Navi G I have in my Passat it is awesome
MFD=Multi Function Display,Mulipe Keystrokes control the system, is very intelligent and has spoken directions the screen is 6.5" color very nice and really sharp.
This is the unit you will get but adapted and mounted in a B5.5 Passat
Lots of good Navi info Here

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
Thanks Tomo,

It looks a whole lot like the one in the Jetta. The link was helpful too. I guess that Nav system does quite of the thinking for you. My Megellan make me work way to hard. Guess that is what the extra $$ are for. Now alls I have to do is see if the dumb VW guy can deal.

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
I'm sure the dedicated Nav systems are nice, but I love my system - I use a Garmin Ique M5 right now in the Jetta. It's a pocketPC with built-in GPS and nav capabilities, and you can get one for around $500. Comes with a power plug, amplified speaker, windshield mount, home pc mount, etc, plus maps for all of North America. Much more sophisticated than my previous, a Garmin GPSV.

I just like being able to remove it and install it in another car (friend's, rental) in a minute or so. It doesn't attract thieves if you hide it in the glovebox, plus you get a pocketPC to boot!

It's not perfect, but it's worth every penny for the gadget lover

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
I have been going over there, but they kind of have there heads up there rears. I tried to deal on a car and they were "NO only MSRP for TDIs". I talked to them some more and then they sold the car I was trying to deal on. So... On to greener pastures. I do have to admit the one guy that I talked to was pretty low pressure, he just couldn't a wize without the manager holding his... hand (stop thinking bad). This other lady I talked to when I orginally went in to drive the car was really bad. I thought she was selling used cars not new!

Why can't tdi's be sold by tdi club members? That would make it a whole lot more fun.

By the way Keir, way don't you stop over for a beer sometime. I live on Perry street in the other half of the abondoned Duplex.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I think the WI dealer is having specials for TDI fest participants. Check it at the TDI Fest page.

Sam

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon
Clements sucks. Everything I have heard about them is BAD. Are you interested in traveling for a car? There are a couple of dealers that do well here(TDIclub). One of them is from WI. 3138 is his screen name, I thihnk. If you have time, I would also head to TDIFest this weekend. I am heading out tomorrow, returning tomorrow as well.

Otherwise, my brother in-law had good luck at Schmelz Countryside in the cities. He got a pretty good deal. BUT, that was a year ago. We were not experiencing the fuel fiasco we are now.

Where the H is Perry St.? Half abandoned duplex?
What are you going to do with your passat?

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
I don't know if I will make it to the fest this year. I might have to help my sister-in-law move. I don't mind traveling for a car. I got my current one in Chicago. I will look in to Schmulz at the cities, though last time I check TDI's in the cities were going for more than MSRP.

Sorry about the bad directions, it seemed that everyone I talked to knew about the other half of my townhome. Apparently the owner up and ran to Cali. to hide from the bank. Perry is the first left off of Blace from Agency headed east.

I am planning on selling my Passat when I know that I have a new car and have taken delivery.

Thanks for the advice. What part of town are you located in? Have fun at the fest.

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
ok, I am still monkeying around with this Navigation system thing. Since to get it from VW you would have to order package 1 and the nav system, I am assuming that they want you to have sat radio so that you have a reciver for the gps too. Am I right in that assumption? So could a guy get a car with just the sat radio option and then find the VW nav system aftermarket, or on the sly from a VW dealer (yeah right) and get it installed in a 2006 A5? I like what tomo has, and think it would be cool to have something like that.

Later

TDIPASSATGUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Passat Sedan
For just over $400 you can get a decent laptop. For $130 you can get the Garmin USB plug in NAV antenna and software with maps for all of North America. ALL of them fit on the laptop. A small 1/4" plywood shelf slides onto the co-pilot seat between the back and seat portion and holds a 15" GPS screen. The computer will allow you to dim the screen at night. You can take in on the airplane and grin watching the roads you can identify pass under you at 550 MPH at 33,000 FT. (I know it is not on the approved list of electronics, but it is only listiening to a signal that is hitting the plane whether you are listening or not) A Delta instructor/friend says he uses his Smart Phone version above 10K FT. Then into the HERTZ car saving $10/day over the crappy NeverLost system. You can also use it to scan TDIClub at Starbucks.

I have a 170Watt inverter from the cigarette lighter port in the trunck and run a lamp cord under the carpet to under the co-pilot seat. I plug in the computer and drive........."in 237 mile exit right"

AudioBear

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG-auto TDI
I've had one in my 2006 Jetta for a couple of months and I am fully satisfied with it. You can get more flexibility-functionality and/or lower price with various aftermarket solutions but that's a tradeoff against a factory installed unit that is quite good and which fits well and is warranted by VW.

AudioBear

elasto

TDIPASSATGUY said:
You can take in on the airplane and grin watching the roads you can identify pass under you at 550 MPH at 33,000 FT. (I know it is not on the approved list of electronics, but it is only listiening to a signal that is hitting the plane whether you are listening or not)
So you think you know more about aviation safety than the FAA or the airlines, huh?
:confused:

TDIPASSATGUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Passat Sedan
Neither are cell phones, but not for aircraft safety issues, but to reduce the chances of in flight passenger fights.

AirTran - not approved
Delta - not mentioned