Malone Stage 2

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well I decided to go for it.

Ordered the Flashzilla 3 via Owain from Malone Tuning on October 4th late afternoon.
The unit arrived yesterday, October 10th in the afternoon mail.

Had something else to do so later in the day and when I returned I downloaded the OEM file to the Flashzilla 3 and from there copied it to my desktop. Sent off the file to Owain @ Malone in the evening.

Today at noon I received the updated Stage 2 file and managed to upload it to the Flashzilla 3.

Then go outside, hook up a 12 volt battery charger and plugged the Flashzilla into the OBD II port.

Twenty minutes later it was done.

Took the car out on a major highway near me for a bit of a run.

Came back 1/2 hour later grinning from ear to ear.:D:):p

Edit: I have my 3,000 mile coming up soon and that will really show me the difference. Especially when in cruise in hills and mountains when the DSG won't be downshifting as much.

Love the tune.

Thanks Owain and Malone Tuning.

Last edited:

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
what did the stage 2 and flashzilla cost, out the door - if you don't mind me asking?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, so significantly more than Kerma, even w/out DSG tune... Jetta Pilot - did you get the whole package or just ECU?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Thanks for the kind words Roger!

We have a dynapack in house and invest heavily into R&D. All Mark does all day is tune and we work with alot of bosch edc17 ECUs, the variety of platforms has certainly helped strengthen his understanding of the software. We're also well under way to releasing a turbo kit on this platform.

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
I have had the 2.0 tune for a while. It never gets old, still just as much fun to drive.
Flashzilla is worth having. overall it's not a major $.

Is it possible to make a minor change in the 2.0.
stock program has a rev limiter when car is in park. set at about 2200-2400.
can the rev-limiter be added to the 2.0 programing.

My opinion is it is a dead giveaway when getting a smog test in California.
texsize

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Wow I didnt know they were that much :( Thats more than the tune I used to have on my 335i.

I really want one for my new (to me) 2015, but over a thousand bucks is pretty steep.

Whats the read difference in Kerma and Malone?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
several people around the forum have said they're both quality tunes and the differences are most likely negligible. can't go wrong?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow I didnt know they were that much :( Thats more than the tune I used to have on my 335i.
I really want one for my new (to me) 2015, but over a thousand bucks is pretty steep.
Whats the read difference in Kerma and Malone?
What someone else has posted is the upper extreme end of the tune.

The prices for the Malone Tune are all listed here.

In my opinion for the very slight difference in cost go straight for the STAGE 2, if you go less than in a few weeks you'll be kicking your own butt for not having gone the Stage 2 route. I was informed by Owain that the DSG tune is not necessary on the 2015 but if done it will make the car even more spirited to drive. You also do NOT need to buy the Flashzilla. I did because my thinking is that if the vehicle has to go back to the dealer I can revert to stock tune and after that re-install the Stage 2.
So look at the prices on the website chose your tune and rent the Flashzilla if you do not intend to revert back to stock.
In my opinion only if you want to go past the Stage 2 will it get very expensive, new turbo and other changes required.
Also in my opinion the RPM raise mod is not really a necessity, you are far better of to let the car idle for 30 seconds and then drive off but not at INTERSTATE speeds to let the engine warm up.

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
Isn't the DSG torque limited? Seems like you give up a lot if you don't tune it

I wonder how the DSG longevity is effected by the tune or more torque

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I had larger injector nozzles and a tune on my 2002 Jetta automatic and never experienced any problems.

I will probably get the DSG tune done next year but I am told it's not necessary on the 2015's. Previous DSG' apparently are different.

BTW: I would imagine if you habitually hammer the throttle then it may cause problems, I for one do not.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
"We're also well under way to releasing a kit on this platform." -Owain

Don't want to get too off topic buy how under way might we be talking, a few months out, a year? Keeping emissions equipment? I'm sure there will be more information when it's closer, I'm just impatient and excited.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
"We're also well under way to releasing a kit on this platform." -Owain

Don't want to get too off topic buy how under way might we be talking, a few months out, a year? Keeping emissions equipment? I'm sure there will be more information when it's closer, I'm just impatient and excited.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Yes it will be designed for both emissions components and race use. All of the part prototyping was done a long time ago we've just been working out details on castings, supply chain, turbo options, pump upgrades, drivetrain setups etc. I'd like to see it in the beta phase late this year, but that might be a bit ambitious and would only be in race trim with one turbo option. Mark has already tuned a fair number of big turbo commonrails so software should be the easy part, but we want to test everything thoroughly.

Here's an 8 second car with a stock dq250, including clutches
https://youtu.be/FCzv4x13B34?t=1m39s

The only DSG failures I've heard of are in big turbo applications with stock DSG tunes and falsified torque output, like the GT28+ kits that were circulating years ago before some companies offered DSG tuning. Clutches are to be changed like a manual box, typically less frequently unless riding at lights. Once they start slipping that's usually game over for the clutches as there's a lot of heat involved.

One of our employees, Keir, worked for HPA for several years. They were the first to market in North America for DSG tuning on gas models and have tested these things thoroughly. Stock clutches are typically good for around 500lb-ft and aren't hard to change, blowing up manual transmissions is more likely since the DSG shifts better than a person. Yes DSG tuning is basically mandatory on bigger turbo applications. The ea288 in stock NA trim isn't even trying, tuned they're still below stock high trim euro models.

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
So you don't need DSG tune with stage 2?
What would be the difference in stage 2 with and without DSG tune?
I don't need a race car. But I'd like it to pull like a 2.0t

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you don't need DSG tune with stage 2?
What would be the difference in stage 2 with and without DSG tune?
I don't need a race car. But I'd like it to pull like a 2.0t
To sound like a hillbilly
Stage 2 she pull real good !!!

I don't care about jackrabbit starts, but I do about passing power and uphill power especially when in cruise control so it doesn't have to shift down and consequently higher RPM's.

Borsig

TDI
This is my concern as well. I only really care about highway / on ramp / passing roll on throttle, and deep end torque going up mountain roads, etc

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
On 2015s, not mandatory but recommended, on 09-14s it's pretty well mandatory unless you falsify torque output to the transmission. These will make more torque down low than any of the gasser lineup, the closest comparison would be the IS12 1.8T, which tuned puts down around 250lb-ft and isn't too far off for spool up. The diesel goes onto make another 40-50lb-ft though, and that torque value isn't surpassed by a GTI until you're about ready for another gear in the diesel. Tuned these put down stock 1.8TSI horsepower with another 120lb-ft. Definitely a nice improvement on these cars! I've been spoiled and have a hard time driving them in stock config now. These values are on our dynapack, all dynos read differently.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you looked closely at the link I posted it does say for the 2015 to click here !!!!
Yes it does have a small link buried in the page to the correct page. I don't understand why you would link to an incorrect page and expect someone to stumble on the correct link they know nothing about, buried half way down. Especially after discussing more than one tune (there is only one available for the 2015's, stage 2) in your post. Since there is only one tune and one price for it, that is all that can be chosen. No high end tunes or low end tunes at all. Just other options (DSG/Dynamic Idle/FlashZilla) in addition to the tune or by themselves.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Mark has no problem doing custom tunes on the EA288s, either with higher or lower output. The vast majority of the market have stock vehicles and we haven't had a need to make a slower tune. Those with custom builds usually inquire directly.

Borsig

TDI
I wish I could afford the DSG tune. Just don't know if I can right now. Would love to be able to quantify the difference in the with and without.

Mine is a 2015 golf with 20K on it. Recently purchased, has stage one of the fix. Not sure about doing anything before stage two or for fear of ruining that 162K warranty, but I really do want a tune. At least the flashzilla takes it back to stock?

We liked the way the 1.8T and 2.0T cars we drove handled the highway, but wanted the 162K warranty and uniqueness + MPG of the tdi (for a third time)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

On our 15 Passat, we did notice some shudder at 1800 RPMS that was able to be taken care of by a slightly modded tune quickly provided by Owain. I believe the shudder was due more to the DMF than the DSG.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only time I notice anything is when I am stuck in heavy but moving traffic at about 40Mph on a slight incline and the RPM's are at around 1,200 - 1,300. Don't know if I call it a "shudder" or what. But she accelerates right up from there with no problem.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
JP,

Don't mean to go 180` off topic ( yeah I do ) but tell me about where you winter in Mexico.