DAP retrofit?

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
I've been getting mixed results with my searches on other forums, so I thought I'd ask here.

Has anyone successfully retrofitted DAP, or, more specifically ACC to their 2015 TDI? I always drive my parents i3 when I visit them, and I love the ACC on that car, makes it so easy to drive in heavy traffic for long periods of time.

Mine is a 6MT, so, won't be quite as point-and-shoot as a DSG, but I'm hopeful it'll still work well.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I'd just trade the car in for one that already has that feature if it's really important.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Does the Mk7 adaptive cruise control work all the way to a stop? I know my father's 2016 Passat only works down to 20 mph - which is super annoying since in slowing traffic everything seems to be fine, until you get a BEEEP from the cluster, the car stops braking, and instead is warning you you're about to hit the car in front :rolleyes:

IMO it would not be worth the PITA of retrofitting that system for it's limited function.

-J

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IMO from hearing of the issues people have with DAP not working, randomly working, covered in snow and well as the price to do an alignment (I've heard $300+) due to resetting DAP, it's soooo not worth it.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I was hoping you would take this idea and run with it. The VW system is very basic compared to some of the competition, even the 2019 Jetta I rented wasn't as nice as I had hoped.

I'm interested in swapping in blind spot and cross traffic radar, the parts are cheap but the coding is elusive. At least one person has done it though.

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
Maybe when more MK7.5 cars end up crashed and salvage parts are available more widely, at that point the cost/benefit analysis gets a lot easier to stomach. until then I'll just enjoy it as it is, and make more economical mods

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Had all that crap on a 2017 Passat gasser. Hated it all. Turned off whatever I could. Plus the cost of windshield replacement was in the neighborhood of $1400 per the dealer.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I bought a MFSW for the paddle shifters (Canadian TDIs didn't come with them), and the steering wheel happened to come with ACC buttons instead of the standard buttons I already have. Given that I had the "front assist" sensor in the bumper (Highline / SEL trim), I figured plugging everything in and doing some coding in VCDS should (maybe?) enable ACC.

Short answer: Not a chance.
Longer answer: Having spent way too much time looking into doing this, it seems that if the car come hard-coded to NOT have ACC, you're not going to get ACC working on it. At least, not without doing some serious hacking of the underlying software in the whole "Convenience" module.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Doesn't front assist only have the camera system, whereas ACC adds a radar sensor? That's how it worked with Cadillac in 2014 anyway.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Nope - my GSW has a radar sensor built into the lower grill of the bumper. From what I've read, I have all of the hardware that a car equipped with ACC would have (possibly not the same controller(?)), but the enablement codes just aren't available to light it up.