BITurbo 1.9pd!

P777

TDI
VW Passat 3bg 1.9tdi AVF stage3
Hello everyone! I want to make bitdi on 1.9tdi! Small turbine gtb2056vl, big holset hx40! Who owns at least any information on the manufacture of such a configuration!

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
Hello everyone! I want to make bitdi on 1.9tdi! Small turbine gtb2056vl, big holset hx40! Who owns at least any information on the manufacture of such a configuration!

I think you're going to have to build that setup yourself. Head to Facebook as there are more folks running compound setups. Many of them from Finland.

P777

TDI
I think you're going to have to build that setup yourself. Head to Facebook as there are more folks running compound setups. Many of them from Finland.
I read there! People from Finland put big turbines, dumb city ride! I want a powerful car and comfortable in the city!

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
My old setup was with GTB2056VL and GT4082SN. What kind of info do you need?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I read there! People from Finland put big turbines, dumb city ride! I want a powerful car and comfortable in the city!
Then do as the rest of the herd- fit a single big turbo and be done with it...cant have it all...

P777

TDI
My old setup was with GTB2056VL and GT4082SN. What kind of info do you need?
I'm interested in how the exhaust manifold is implemented, do I need an external westgate ?! There may be some photos left?

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Small HP turbo with good internal wastegate (hard to find those) and big LP turbo without wastegate is easiest setup to go with. And with external WG plumbing gets bit more complicated. And it gets even more complicated with VNT+WG, but all are totally doable for sure. Markus has quite nice build and can open it more if wants to :)

This thread might be good to check out http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=502244

Last edited:

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm interested in how the exhaust manifold is implemented, do I need an external westgate ?! There may be some photos left?

My exhaust manifold was self made but I didn't take any decent pictures of it.

External wastegate is useful. I had like 1 bar drop in EMP with 3 bar boost when used it to bypass some of gas over HP turbine. 38mm is more than enough. When WG was fully open vanes needed to be quite shut to achieve 3.8 bar.

LP had an internal wastegate but eventually I didn't use it at all. You should search for largest housing possible for HX40. I think something like #20 exists.

P777

TDI
My exhaust manifold was self made but I didn't take any decent pictures of it.

External wastegate is useful. I had like 1 bar drop in EMP with 3 bar boost when used it to bypass some of gas over HP turbine. 38mm is more than enough. When WG was fully open vanes needed to be quite shut to achieve 3.8 bar.

LP had an internal wastegate but eventually I didn't use it at all. You should search for largest housing possible for HX40. I think something like #20 exists.
I would like to chat with you in the messenger, how are you on facebook?

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry but I'm not looking for a chat friend. It's too time consuming for me to give technical advices to people in chats, PM's etc. If you have questions you can ask them in this thread so someone else might find an answer for their questions too.

P777

TDI
Sorry but I'm not looking for a chat friend. It's too time consuming for me to give technical advices to people in chats, PM's etc. If you have questions you can ask them in this thread so someone else might find an answer for their questions too.
tell me please how to connect the west gate? in front of a large turbine and exit to the exhaust system? or in front of a small turbine?

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
If you use two wastegates for both turbos, first one comes in front of the HP turbine and flows into LP turbine. In LP turbo it comes before the LP turbine and flows to the exhaustpipe.

Some old picture from AAZ project

Last edited:

P777

TDI
If you use two wastegates for both turbos, first one comes in front of the HP turbine and flows into LP turbine. In LP turbo it comes before the LP turbine and flows to the exhaustpipe.

Some old picture from AAZ project
tell me why the Westgate is going back to the exhaust manifold, not the streets! We need to lower the pressure!

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Like this

You can ignore compressor bypass and EGR.

Last edited:

P777

TDI

everything is as you say here, but the turbine is not controlled by anything!

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Larger turbine is controlled by choosing a housing large enough. Wastegate literally wastes exhaust gas energy. Better to take all out of it in LP stage.

P777

TDI
Larger turbine is controlled by choosing a housing large enough. Wastegate literally wastes exhaust gas energy. Better to take all out of it in LP stage.
say turbines gtb2056vl and holset hx40 are suitable for my setup ??? or do i need a holset hx40w with integrated westgate?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Combining a VNT HP stage and wastegated LP can be a little tricky to get proper boost control with an OEM computer that takes only one signal (boost pressure) as input. You cannot control a vane position actuator and a wastegate actuator from same boost pressure signal, even if you were to convert so that both actuate by pressure or vacuum because they have very different control transfer function behaviours.

I hate to say this, but for most people, they should go with WG turbos on both stages to make their lives easier. Integral wastegates are fine, or you can use an integral WG on the HP turbo and external WG on the LP. You also cannot control two wastegates with a single actuation output signal, because stages need to be actuated separately and independently. Otherwise, both wastegates will actuate simultaneously, and both turbos will act as a single unit simultaneously combining the worst of the small (restrictive) and big (slow response) turbo's attributes. There's no one way to do it - it will involve some experimentation. Some people use boost pressure to actuate the HP (smaller) turbo's WG, while the LP (larger) is actuated by exhaust manifold pressure or interstage differential pressure.

As part of my Master thesis in 2009, I developed an R2S system for gasoline engines inspired from the similar system for Diesels in the BMW 23d with Borg Warner as collaborators: https://www.gtisoft.com/wp-content/uploads/publication/FEV2009.pdf

Another alternative is to employ VNT on both HP and LP stages. This is a "latest" development published by Borg-Warner dated 2017, but I have documented done work in this forum on this dating back to at least 2009.
https://www.borgwarner.com/newsroom...rbocharging-system-with-two-vtg-turbochargers

In a "Bi-VNT" setup, the control can be the most challenging or most easy one of all, depending on your level of knowledge and comfort working with electronics and control systems. I detailed elsewhere where one could actually use a single N75 PWM signal from the OEM ECU to drive two separate electronic vane actuators. PWM signals are easy to manipulate and condition, so that you can modify the N75 signal to control the LP stage(e.g. change the frequency, introduce a lag or hysteresis, implement a switch, etc.), while keeping the original N75 signal intact to control the HP stage. Also, if you are an electronics wizard, you can add additional inputs to the ECU by adding a slave microcontroller (e.g. using a Raspberry Pi board) that takes additional engine RPM and throttle position sensor (TPS) signals to generate a map of when and how you want to the individual stages to operate. However, implementing this properly requires additional bypasses (e.g. external wastegate or butterfly valve) to deactivate the HP stage to prevent dangerous overboost.

Last edited:

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
From finland too, 2056vl + hx40 sounds proper sized. Keep in mind if you do compounds you need to do alot math and tune alone yourself. Unless someone is willing to tune it for you.

P777

TDI
From finland too, 2056vl + hx40 sounds proper sized. Keep in mind if you do compounds you need to do alot math and tune alone yourself. Unless someone is willing to tune it for you.
where can I read about this installation in Finland?