09 Jetta TDi Low Pressure EGR Valve Part Number

kchiew

TDI
Jetta
I'm trying to get a part number of the Low Pressure EGR Valve.

Either that or a picture / diagram of the actual part would be helpful...

Thank you!

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Can't help you with a part #, but I did my best with a picture.

The part outlined in yellow is the high-pressure EGR, which functions the same as the EGR systems of older TDIs. The EGR valve is attached to the intake manifold and the valve opens and closes to modulate EGR flow.

The part outlined in red is the EGR assembly, containing a second EGR valve (outlined in blue), the EGR cooler, the high-pressure EGR line and the low-pressure EGR line.

You can't really see much of the low-pressure one, but it's outlined in green. What's missing from the low-pressure EGR line is the EGR filter and its connection to the exhaust (also outlined in green) just downstream of the DPF. The vertical portion of the low-pressure EGR tube goes directly to the turbo, just before the compressor inlet.

I am a bit perplexed as to why the LP EGR seems to be filtered twice and the HP EGR seems to have no filter. I am also a bit perplexed as to the exact function of the second EGR valve. I think it probably selects between the HP and LP systems because they are separate and operating at different times.

kchiew

TDI
Jetta
Thank you for the reply, it makes more sense now since I've been looking at the pictures and diagrams for like forever!

I too am perplexed as to why the low pressure EGR seems to be filtered twice. Perhaps it is to guarantee a certain "cleanliness" criteria before injecting back into the compressor wheel?

Or the "filter" is not really a filter but a catalyst of some sort, since the low pressure EGR is required for US T2B5 emissions level? Acting in conjunction with the NOx trap?