Corrado TDI For Sale! *****Now with pics!*****

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Hey Y'all:

I am officially relinquishing control over the only Corrado TDI in this hemisphere. I'm selling the car to help fund several new projects. I've logged 69K on the car since I converted it in October of 2000. The '98 Jetta III TDI engine had 32k on it when I bought it so the total mileage on the engine is 101k. I have used Delvac 1 at 10k intervals. The engine was installed as per the factory wiring diagram for the Jetta III and the Corrado had the same fuse block so the swap was more or less plug and play and a game of mix and match to boot. The engine bay looks stock. The diagnostic port is the same as all of the rest of the cars and allows scanning of the engine and ABS brakes. Some mods I have performed and some other details are as follows:

1. The car has the first factory 11mm pump swap in the U.S. into an A3 engine. I created this mod and the associated parts.
2. The car has .205mm factory injectors with 17k on them Silver bottle Power Service always used. 8oz. per tank.
3. An Upsolute chip set may be included but the combination of large injector pump and large injectors creates extra smoke when run in conjunction with the chipset. It is an absolute rocket, however, with the chips installed but very fast otherwise. No dyno runs made.
4. The car has had a cracked windshield for five years and I will replace it right before the sale to ensure I don't get a stone chip. I'm very unlucky with new windshields.
5. Car has 14" BBS wheels with 10" brakes from A3. I downsized my brakes to save 8 pounds of unsprung weight per corner and get a little more sidewall for comfort. The lighter wheels make a handling difference you can feel. Dunlop SP8000 tires are half gone. Wheels are perfectly straight. Brakes work perfectly even if they are slightly smaller in diameter. Calipers are the same as Corrado G60's.
6. Car has ABS from a Corrado VR6 with EDL low speed traction control (up to 27mph). Four wire hook up. Good mod.
7. The car has new front bearings, cv boots, and higher performance factory control arm bushings and new ball joints.
8. The car has four Bilstein Sport shocks/struts with VR6 strut bearings for long life. Not too harsh. I don't have a front sway bar on the car but one is included with the car. As a new parts seller, I will warranty the Bilsteins for as long as I am selling parts.
9. Car has Never been hit!
10. Sunroof needs three fixit parts to work again. I don't want to fix it. Motor is fine.
11. Speed dependent rear spoiler works fine.
12. The exhaust is Techtonics Tuning from the trap oxidizer back. I welded a very heavy flange to the back of the kitty and the cat back starts there with no neck down. In other words, it is a true 2.5" exhaust with the exception of the stock '98 Jetta downpipe. The exhaust is silent and has a Borla stainless muffler with mild piping. Tail pipe is very plain and round. Exhaust has ten years left on it.
13. Car is absolutely rust free. It has some door dings, most of which would go away if the right dentless repair guy had a shot at the car. Wasn't important to me.
14. Car has a dieselgeek.com short shifter!
15. Car has $450 Euro headlights with custom relay harnesses running every filament. It will burn down trees! Good light from the 80/100W bulbs. Never got around to putting 100W driving light bulbs in it since I rarely run them.
16. Unfortunately, the car has no vestiges of an EGR system. I might provide the equipment if the next owner had plans to drive the car on a public highway...Breathe deeply.
17. Car gets a lifetime average of 43 m.p.g. and the mileage (speedo, odo) has been calibrated with a GPS device. The best mpg to date is just under 47mpg. Range is 720 miles under good circumstances, 600 in poorer ones. I have never cruised at less than 80mph. I'd love to see what Jonathan Bartlett could do with this car!
18. Car has a '95 Passat 2.0 cluster with MFA trip computer. I never made the mpg meter work though Chris Bell knows how.
19. Car has the dieselgeek.com oil cooler.
20. Car is child friendly. Car seat fits fine.
21. A/C works fine. I replaced the compressor last summer. It runs R-134.
22. Needs better than the current stock radio.
23. Transmission has the .717 fifth gear for lower noise.
24. Nobody else has one. (in the U.S. that is..)
25. Free 3 months worth of tech support though you won't need it.

Really, there is nothing wrong with my Corrado. It's best as a commuter car as it really shines brightest on the highway. With the cruise set, it is indeed a Quaalude on wheels. I mean, how can you knock a car that will get 40mpg with the cruise set at 90 for 1100 miles (one day's trip back from Indy last September)? One stop to refuel.

Pics to follow soon...

$9,000 OBO and I'm in no hurry.

I won't deliver but I do have quite a collection of frequent flyer miles! 512 458-5600

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
Corrado TDI For Sale!

Hmm, after reading this post. I begin to wonder about the posibilities of putting a TDI into my Corrado that is sitting idle in the driveway....

Good luck!

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Corrado TDI For Sale!

Actually, the car has Bilstein HD's with G60 springs, not Sports, I forgot.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Corrado TDI For Sale!

All I can find so far. I'm gonna post more tomorrow.

Girl not included!

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Corrado TDI For Sale!

Gulp. Good thing my Jetta's not out of the body shop yet or I'd be hocking it to get this. I might do that anyway...

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Corrado TDI For Sale!

Man, what a great car. My 88 Golf Gasser is going strong at 212k, but it's getting pretty rough. Your car sure would make a great new daily driver, but it would be wrong to drag it to Wisconsin and start running it in this damn salt.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Corrado TDI For Sale!

What size tank is on that baby?

Is it 18.5 gallons? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Unique car, as unique as the TDI syncro Normand has.... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Corrado TDI For Sale!

ohmanohmanohman...

mmmm....corrado TDI.

groan. Oh how much I want it. Wife must become employed.

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Corrado TDI For Sale!

The spots on the pavement are water. She doesn't leak!
There are more pic links on this little website I did for the car. More pics as the day progresses...
Corrado for sale site..

BratscheMan

Veteran Member
TDI
none at present
Beautiful automobile, Jim. One of my favorite VW colors...Radar Detector Red. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are you sure the cutie is non-negotiable? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI

Cutie's not for sale. Ever seen "The Taming of the Shrew? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BratscheMan

Veteran Member
TDI
none at present
[ QUOTE ]
corrado tdi said:

Cutie's not for sale. Ever seen "The Taming of the Shrew? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

More times than you can shake a spear at! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
[ QUOTE ]
Cutie's not for sale. Ever seen "The Taming of the Shrew?

[/ QUOTE ]Does playing,and singing, the role of Hortensio, the old patrician suitor for Bianca, in "Kiss Me Kate!" count?

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Hey Y'all:

I just freed up a set of Wilwood calipers and adapters for the Corrado if you would ever want to go back to 15" wheels. They work great and are very light! I also found a new Corrado upper stress bar from Autotech to throw in.

Scirocco81

TDI
90 Corrado TDI and 81 Scirocco TDI (project)
Jim, I can't believe your selling it. THIS car was the inspiration to do my Mk1 Scirocco TDI project! It was good to chat with you!!! Maybe we can strike a deal!

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I hope this car finds a good home. I still can't believe this thing is going on the selling block. ARGH! I LOVE corrados, and the tdi would just make it so much better. Sigh, but I love my current Jetta, and I wouldn't want to put your beast through our snows.

Thumbs up for a good seller, and a good guy. (good car too)

BTW, that engine bay looks so stock it's sick!

Scirocco81

TDI
Jim is at SEMA, so he can't reply right now, regardless, he and I struck a deal today. I fly in next week to bring that hummer of a TDI home.

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
Congrats!!

If I can find a way to afford it, I would love to swap a warmed over TDI in my 90 Corrado. Current motor needs a rebuild, so it is worth investigating.
Of course, the better half says to sell /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck with it!

Scirocco81

TDI
[ QUOTE ]
OilBurnerDE said:
Congrats!!

If I can find a way to afford it, I would love to swap a warmed over TDI in my 90 Corrado. Current motor needs a rebuild, so it is worth investigating.
Of course, the better half says to sell /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck with it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Eric!

I had a blast driving it home (besides the weather) and I love this car to death....sadly, its going to my wife for commuter duties....I guess it just will have to be incentive to finish my Scirocco TDI project :)

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
Do you think you will have any problems getting it to pass inspection? That would be one of my big concerns, the emmissions test in Delaware.

Good luck with it. And don't be afraid of hanging out in the Corrado forum on the Vortex. ( I am 90 GT-G60 over there)

Darron65

TDI
99 Golf 2dr, Indigo Blue
Don't know about Delaware but here in Texas diesels are exempt from the emissions part of the annual inspection. I just wish I could see the inspector's face the first time this thing rolled in!
I also wish I had seen this post earlier, being a fan of both TDIs and old school watercooled VWs. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
They are exempt in Delaware as well, although they did hook up to the diag port on my 97 Passat.
My concern is that since the car originally had a gas motor, would they just see/hear that it is a diesel and pass it without questioning it since the car would normally require a sniff test.
Not that I am anywhere close to making the decision on the swap, just have to do my legal homework first.