APR Tuning now offering a tune for 2.0 CR TDIs!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
How can we turn this thread around? Hot chicks maybe??? A video of my newly installed rain/light sensor and auto rain closing windows?????
Do they have anything at all to do with:

Why not start a new thread with your mods, they sound both interesting and useful. I am sure we would all like to learn how you did them.

Bill

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Do they have anything at all to do with:
Why not start a new thread with your mods, they sound both interesting and useful. I am sure we would all like to learn how you did them.
Bill
Anything that gets said about the thread title gets bashed instantly, no sense in carrying on with that. My last post was more of a comic relief and not serious anyway.

Side note, I do have my own thread which can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=357670

Dhimarko

TDI
MKV Jetta 2.0L
I am getting a stage 1 Tune from Unitronic on tuesday and now from everything said in this thread, I feel like if I ask anything about it I wouldn't be getting an accurate answer about anything.. Ahaha oh well. Anyway AMD your tune is looking good next to your brothers Malone tune.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Take it to the drag strip, then drive to "mexico" for some roll ons. Personally not a believer in dynos, because I am into bikes and dyno doesn't show what ram air does while standing still.

That said I got APR on my GTi and TDT on my B4 TDi, zero bias what so ever.

Arin@APR

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Jetta, MK5 GTI, B8 S4, MK7 Sportwagen TDI
Hey guys, I would love to answer all of your questions, but club TDI says I cannot "officially" post for 60 days AFTER they call me, after I submit my signup form (which I did last week, so I'm still waiting).

This will be my only post till I'm "official" I guess.

You can find me, and other threads discussed elsewhere in the mean time.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's actually 60 days after your join date.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Wow, I just wanted to know why apr tune was so much different then mine... Careless who you want tune your car...

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
Ugh, with a thread topic name like this thread has, you would think there would be better reviews. This is not the case. Epic fail.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
yea I know your playing guinni pig with what you got going on, kinda hope you get it all figured out and then i can see what i will need lol. Just wanted to see how much TQ you got with that stage2+ tune is nuts!!
I posted dyno sheet...

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
So I called an APR dealer in San Antonio (about an hour away) since the one in Austin sucks, and I'm scheduled to get the APR tune tomorrow at 10:00am. I'll report back and let you know what I think.

I have a stock 2010 Golf, 2 door, manual transmission, TDI.
The suspense is killin me bud.. how is it???

Canary5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg. Malone Stage II
Attempted to get the tune today, but apparently APR needs to build a map for my car. The dealer was told that my car (TDI + DSG) is the first in the country with the single stalk cruise control to get the flash. Anyways, should be early next week instead.
I posted almost the same thing awhile back and got no response amid the banter lol. I was told the same thing and was just told by my APR dealer that the sale was extended until the 18th of Aug for TDI's that came in and couldn't get a tune. So I guess that it will be available for 11-12s in the nest week and a half. We shall see.

BuzzB

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Successful APR Tune

Got my 2011 Golf TDI APR reflash yesterday. Black Forest in Cary, NC completed it as their first actual successful flash, as the first few cars through the previous week required remapping. The APR sale price was extended because of the teething problems. Single program only, available for my ECU model - no opportunity to manually switch back to stock as advertised by APR. So after first 150 miles, what's the bottom line?
The good
I'd say it feels like upgrading to a Golf TDI badged with an R. Subjectively more pull in all gears at all speeds. But in first gear, front wheels scrub over pavement breaks, so without the benefit of 4-Motion, more power would only be useful over 30mph. Using a handheld stopwatch, 0-60 is just shy of 8secs, both with and without traction control, in DSG Sport mode. Only slightly better than my previous measurement of stock. But it feels more fun in all situations I tried, both on and off the interstate. 60-80mph punch on interstate is noticeably smoother and much faster. Engine is smoother at higher revs and more free revving over 4,000rpm, without the fall off and grumbling of the stock TDI. MPG so far seems the same as stock, maybe 41 vs normal 42mpg average for my lengthy 150 mile commute, but I've driven it harder today and not enough miles yet to be sure.
The bad?
DSG in Drive grinds along in town at +/- 1,400rpm. Less than full acceleration can cause a delayed downshift until the turbo kicks in around 1,800. A little odd. Sport mode on the other hand is improved, operating in 1,900-3,000 rpm range in town (max torque), and no longer causing the uneven engine breaking sometimes felt in stock model. Black Forest picked up the Drive issue when they tested the vehicle and suggest considering a DSG custom reflash.

Overall in real world driving I've found it difficult to find opportunities to legally stretch the new capabilities, and look forward to tomorrow's commute to have another go, so I'd say I'm one very happy customer!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
They recommended a DSG tune? I thought the whole point was that it didn't need a DSG tune. I am not impressed by the lack of testing prior to releasing the product.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
BuzzB, your review reminds me of how the Upsolute tune worked on my ALH years ago. One thing Upsolute did was recalibrate the accelerator so less travel got more voltage, so the car felt faster for a given amount of applied pedal. However, it wasn't as much faster as it felt when you put a stopwatch to it.

As this thread has pointed out, most people are satisfied with subjective feedback on performance improvements, the famous "butt dyno" data. If the car feels faster, that's enough.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
"reminds me of how the Upsolute tune worked on my ALH years ago". I too remember that tune, Rene right? You can check the throttle output % with VagCom. You'd just touch the accelerator and see 30%!

BuzzB

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Not sure what would drive the stopwatch down. Probably more HP. However I looked up VW UK website where they sell the CR170 version. VW quotes 8.1sec 0-62 with DSG, even with 170hp. This is similar to the APR HP output. Witterhauer Germany has a chip for the CR170 model which takes it to 200HP/>300Torque. My guess is that would knock a second off. Come on VW bring that motor to the US!
But who cares about stopwatches when it so works in real life. I drove 3 adult passengers to lunch today. The torque boost felt great-seat in pants push with 4 adults is pretty unusual outside of a V8. They loved it. My little secret!

BuzzB

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
APR Tune Impact on DSG

It took a couple of days for the DSG to settle in after the APR tune. Its fine now. There was some double shifting on hard acceleration in Drive mode initially. Sport mode actually worked better than stock, with less uneven engine breaking. Black Forest suggested to give it time, Drive mode might settle in itself, or if I wanted the DSG optimised for the APR tune, they could install a DSG reflash (C2lite?). I don't see a DSG retune being necessary.

TL A3

TDI
2012 A3
[FONT=&quot]"would you go buy a clutch for a 500 hp car, but only tell the clutch manufacturer that your making 250 hp? In order to not hit the Torque limit they must tell the ECU ( which directly reports engine torque to the DSG ECU ) to mis-represent the torque output of the motor to not hit the torque limit that is in the DSG software"

Is the above quote incorrect?

If it is correct, how can you say that a DSG software file change is not required with, and/or in conjunction of a ECU tune?

If the above quote is not correct please explain why it is not correct.

Thanks
[/FONT]

TL A3

TDI
2012 A3
Don is correct regarding the fact that most factory DSG software have a 350Nm (258ft-lb) limiter. I have experimented with more than 350Nm Engine torque in a few CR TDIs with factory DSG software: I felt hard shifts (jerks) in a 2009 TDI in all D/S/M modes, occasional hesitation during D mode shifts in a 2011 TDI, and smooth shifts in a 2012 TDI. Not all 2012 TDIs may have smooth shifts though. Shift quality seems to vary a little from car to car. Each model year TDI has a handful of different DSG software versions.

Some customers have reported that an upgraded DSG software still feels smoother even with stock ECU. Shifts feel more consistent and quicker as well. Besides raising the torque limiter in the DSG software, I also adjust the clutch pressure to accommodate the increased torque. The shift points are increasingly lowered as the gear number goes up. A tuned HP curve usually starts dropping before 4000 RPM, but the stock shift points are still ~4500 RPM in some cars and the HP loss can sometimes be felt. Automatically shifting at 4200 RPM or earlier keeps the car in its peak HP band for a faster overall acceleration. We're not the only company that saw the benefit in lowering DSG shift points at WOT.

A couple customers who had their modified DSG tunes wiped out by a VW dealer DSG update all said that they immediately noticed degraded performance or shift quality.

I believe that updating both the ECU and DSG controllers to work together ensures a premium driving experience (as good as factory or better, in all DSG models) with a very broad torque curve. That said, I understand that some CR owners are looking for a simple instant gratification with minimal expense. Therefore I may very soon develop a new version of the Stage 1 ECU tune that does not require a DSG upgrade and respects the factory 258ft-lb torque limit, with guaranteed shift smoothness in all DSG models.
One of the best explanations for all the new CR TDi tune issues that I have
read. Man, it sure took long enough!

Thanks Mark

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
One of the best explanations for all the new CR TDi tune issues that I have
read. Man, it sure took long enough!

Thanks Mark
TL A3,
I'm in the same boat as you. I'd like to do an ECU tune for more power (and better MPG if you stay out of the throttle). However, it seems to benefit with a total driving experience we need to drop an extra $500 for a proper DSG tune. It would be great if Malone offered a discounted DSG tune for those getting a Stage 1 ECU... or maybe call it a stage 1.75 and up the price a bit for the package deal.:cool:

Many here report that their Revo tunes seem to work well and shifting settles in after some driving time. However, that tells me that Revo maximized their tune to work with the stock DSG program already. That leaves some HP and TQ on the table in my mind, based on Mark's (Malone Tuning) explanation.

michaelquerty

TDI
2009 Jetta
I went to http://greffmotors.com/ a few weeks ago and after having my car for 1-2 hours, they informed me that my ECU# wasn't in the drop-down menu for selection. Apparently, not all of the ECU#s for each year/model are available. I told him to give me a call when they get my ECU# in the database, but I think I will just wait until the MKVII golf comes out instead of spending $500 on a mod for a car that I will have for about a year or less once it gets tuned. /shrug, oh well

TL A3

TDI
2012 A3
TL A3,
I'm in the same boat as you. I'd like to do an ECU tune for more power (and better MPG if you stay out of the throttle). However, it seems to benefit with a total driving experience we need to drop an extra $500 for a proper DSG tune. It would be great if Malone offered a discounted DSG tune for those getting a Stage 1 ECU... or maybe call it a stage 1.75 and up the price a bit for the package deal.:cool.
Ya, I guess they have to make some money for developing new products, but I definitely agree with you; there should be better stage 1 tune products/ DSG, ECU bundles available for less $$$. It would be a great way to build market momentum in the New Car sector that would lead into stage II and beyond after we all get some miles on!

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
The dsg tranny does have "habit adaptation" but if u don't get dsg flashed your shift points are gonna eat the clutches faster without the extra line pressure and torque limit increased... I been told the stock dsg with an engine tune can slip at peak torque cause the torque was applied before the tranny was able to retard power... I personally seen 2 r32 big turbo cars make over 800 at the wheels on stock dsg with tune and updated clutches from SSP

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
I went to a local guru in Joplin, MO for some vcds changes on my 2012 Golf and he told me about the tune coming out. So I asked about it and he said he could give me the 6 hour free trial so i could make sure i wanted to drop the $500 for it. Turns out APR doesn't do the trial on TDI's. Also he couldn't even do the tune because and i quote "because your car is so new the don't have a tune file for it yet." Has anyone else had this issue? He went on to say that he would have to do an extraction to send the ecu info to apr so they could write a file for it. Is this normal?

And yes I am new to TDI's.
I just had the APR tune put on my car, and experienced something similar. Went in for the loaded package, and they told me they could only do the Tune. Apparently they didn’t have the other programs for my ECU developed yet.