Corrado PD swap

classicgameswi

TDI
Corrado TDI (WIP), 01 Jetta TDI (RIP)
Well, I finally am making progress on my corrado TDI project.

I am using a BEW motor from an '04, with a cluster from an '01 ALH. all the wiring is spliced into the CE2 fuse panel.

I have 95% of the wiring done, I swapped the heater box in from a MK4,
all new speaker wiring, fixed the power seat belts, bolted in the motor, I have the DBW pedal mounted.

I have a thread on Vortex with more info HERE

there are a few things I am having trouble figuring out:

1. I am using a MK4 cluster with the CE2 wiring, and while it is mostly working, the backlighting does not work, is this handled diferantly on a mk4 than a CE2 car?

2. How do I connect my custom intercooler piping to the turbo outlet on the kp-39 turbo? also, what size pipe would you use? I am using the G60 intercooler.

3. are there any threads covering a heater box swap using a MK4 unit? I have it mounted, but there are a few fitment issues that I would like to see how it has been done.

4. can I just use the fuel pump to empty the gas tank, then refill with diesel, or do I have to drop the tank and empty it 100%.

5. I am using a 1.8t accessory bracket and tensioner because the original was missing, and the tensioner pulley is rubbing on the timing cover just a bit. Is the tensioner diferant, or is the bracket the culprit?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
classicgameswi said:
4. can I just use the fuel pump to empty the gas tank, then refill with diesel, or do I have to drop the tank and empty it 100%.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
My first swap was between similar models and body style, B4 wagon to B4 wagon. Swapping the tank was no real added effort.
My current one is an A3 Cabrio, no TDI tank to fit in. I drained the gasoline tank using the in-tank fuel pump. I then added about 5 gallons of B100 biodiesel (that's what I have on hand) to dilute the gasoline remaining and pumped that through too.
Then I filled the tank with B100 and left it at that.

The gasoline went into an Audi I was borrowing. The gasoline 'contaminated' biodiesel is being used in my diesel lawn tractor.

classicgameswi

TDI
That is the method I was thinking of using, as it is how I removed the old gas in the tank when I was trying to get the G60 running.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I started by pumping out all of the gas in my Golf. After that I pulled the in-tank pump out and got the trickles on the bottom using an electric fuel pump and some hose. After that I used some paper towels to try to get every last drop. Then after the pump was back in I did the ventectomy and ripped the restrictor out of the filler. Everything has worked out fine since.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Droppi ng the fuel tank is easy after the fuel is out of it. Use the fuel pump to pump out the gas and then drop it.

Jack car up and put on jack stands
remove the fuel door rubber boot
remove the fuel lines and vent tube
Place a jack with a piece of wood under the tank
remove 10mm bolt from wheelwell
remove fuel tank straps.
Drop tank and remove via the wheelwell.

Its not complicated don't be scared.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Wash the outside of the tank there is bound to be a lot of caked on mud up by the spout. I used compressed air, garden hose and a brush to get it off. This will help prevent the car from rusting near the mud.

classicgameswi

TDI
Thanks for the info about dropping the tank, In my case, it might be a bit different as there is a hitch installed on the vehicle.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
even still get the mud out of the upper part of the wheelwell so your swap won't rust out after its completed

classicgameswi

TDI
I will do that for sure as I have a rust free shell and I intend to keep it that way :) After I get the swap done I want to pull the motor and interior and get the car painted. Either that or find an even cleaner shell.

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
Hi Alex
The manifold has a nipple not a flange :D
LMK when you get it

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Planning a MK4 1.8t conversion to a PD, Can the gas tank and fuel lines be reused?

I assume just swap out the gasser lift pump to a PD lift pump?

tnx

Lug_Nut said:
My first swap was between similar models and body style, B4 wagon to B4 wagon. Swapping the tank was no real added effort.
My current one is an A3 Cabrio, no TDI tank to fit in. I drained the gasoline tank using the in-tank fuel pump. I then added about 5 gallons of B100 biodiesel (that's what I have on hand) to dilute the gasoline remaining and pumped that through too.
Then I filled the tank with B100 and left it at that.

The gasoline went into an Audi I was borrowing. The gasoline 'contaminated' biodiesel is being used in my diesel lawn tractor.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tothemax said:
Planning a MK4 1.8t conversion to a PD, Can the gas tank and fuel lines be reused?

I assume just swap out the gasser lift pump to a PD lift pump?

tnx
If you have access to a mk4 diesel tank thenk just use that as it has the correct size nozzel inlet. Better yet why not just sell everything and buy an OEM TDI

classicgameswi

TDI
Well, After having vwmikel disable the immobilizer on my ecu, i have started the beast! I only had it running for a few seconds because the radiator and interercooler arent connected yet, but it smells and sounds good!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Excellant feeling, after hearing it start and no odd sounds. Congrats

classicgameswi

TDI
Finally had some time again to put into the car.

I abandoned using the original in tank fuel pump, instead I installed a Mr Gasket in line diesel lift pump. I modified the original pump to be just a pickup instead, and installed the pump under the car where the corrado fuel filter was. Works great with no regulator needed, and only costs $50 at autozone. I then used a MK1 fuel filter in the bay with a custom bracket.

Also, I started to put together all the coolant hoses, and then the a/c lines.

Does anyone have a simplified vacuum diagram for these cars for just a N75 and brakes?

classicgameswi

TDI
I got it running and put axles in finally.

I drove it out of the garage and then went for reverse to park it, but I couldn't find reverse so i shut it off, and put it in reverse at the transmission. I restarted it, then backed it up fine. I go to put it in neutral and it will not go back to neutral, even at the trans. something is jammed internally in the trans.

Its a junkyard trans, so i dont know the history of it, is there anything I can check without pulling it and splitting the case?

Alex

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I got it running and put axles in finally.

I drove it out of the garage and then went for reverse to park it, but I couldn't find reverse so i shut it off, and put it in reverse at the transmission. I restarted it, then backed it up fine. I go to put it in neutral and it will not go back to neutral, even at the trans. something is jammed internally in the trans.

Its a junkyard trans, so i dont know the history of it, is there anything I can check without pulling it and splitting the case?

Alex
if you can get it in reverse at the trans then nothing is wrong with the trans....it's most likely the reverse lockout at the shifter box is not working correctly ....OK I just reread your post...have you tried getting into neutral with the cables disconnected?....sorry but I have not read your thread are you using the original 02A corrado trans and shifter?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its just a mater of adjusting the shift cables. What shifter are you using? a Corrado? A mk4? a Mk3?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
what transmission?