Keyless remote range

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I am developing a spring fix-it "to-do" list for my 98 Jetta. All three of my key fobs have a 5-10 foot range. I have seen the mod that can be performed on the A4 and the A3/B4. But, I haven't found much data in my searches that let me know what type of range I can get by performing the A3/B4 mod (opening the small module and soldering a long wire to the antenna coil).

Anyone with details if this mod makes a profound difference? Is it worth it?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Open your mouth,hold remote under chin,and press unlock as you're walking toward the car;)-yes,I have done it,and the range IS greater....may look weird walking across a parking lot doing this,but..... there are some threads around here about this " range extender"....

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I second that, it's bizzare but even touching the fob against your head can really increase the distance. Just do it when nobody's watching or you might get sectioned.:D

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
This is funny. In all the A4 posts this is always one of the first solutions offered instead of helping with the original request. I was already aware of this phenomenon. No offense guys but I would prefer a better engineered solution.

Anyone else?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You could take the alarm / keyless entry module apart and solder another wire onto the antenna trace. Unlike the mk4 where the antenna runs up the A pillar, the mk3 system just has a trace that runs around the inside of the alarm unit which acts as the antenna.

-Jason

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine unlocks the car from at least 50ft away anyway and I don't know why so can't offer anything insightful.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No I have a Seat Cordoba and I've no idea about the antena, where is the antena thing anyway? I can unlock it from far away but it's a pita if I'm standing next to the car lol.:)