Adblue Countdown Timer

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
I've been getting P2200 NOx sensor malfunction. Cleared it last night.

Went for a drive today and AdBlue countdown started saying 350km until restart not possible.

Adblue tank is full.

Now what do I do?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Had this during our second winter with our 2013 Passat. Turned out to be the NOx sensor, all right. And, yeah, we had plenty of AdBlue on board, this particular failure has nothing to do with the amount of DEF. Ours, of course, said 200 miles, not 350 km. Went to dealer, got fixed under warranty, no issues since. I think this is about a US$600 repair, IIRC, so not a good thing.
This has been our only problem with this car in nearlyi 60K miles and 4 years of ownership, so we've no complaints.

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
Is it just a case of plugging the new sensor in? Is there anything that has to be done by VCDS to get the countdown to clear after a new sensor is installed?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is it just a case of plugging the new sensor in? Is there anything that has to be done by VCDS to get the countdown to clear after a new sensor is installed?
A good question. Since ours was replaced under warranty by the dealer, I don't know what they had to do to clear it. Maybe it went away on its own. I've read cases where people have run the AdBlue in the tank down to where they get the normal warning (at 1200 miles, I think), then fill it up and the warning goes away by itself. Whether this 200 mile warning would do the same when the NOx sensor is replace, I don't know.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
As long as you don't let the countdown get too low, the warning should clear after a few drive cycles with the new sensor. Unfortunately, if it doesn't and the countdown reaches zero, the engine won't start again and you'll have to have it towed to the dealer.

A few people have mentioned a VCDS procedure that will reset it, but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. Ross-Tech's website will probably have more information.

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
So this is getting annoying!

Took it to the dealer for a wiring harness recall. They diagnosed a faulty NOx sensor ($950) which they changed.
He forced another regen to reset the system. No NOx codes are showing up, but he can not get the adblue countdown to reset.

The dealership says they don't know what to do now.

I don't what to pay them $150/hr to guess!

Does anyone else have a clue what could be done to get the light to shut off?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

The dealership says they don't know what to do now.

I don't what to pay them $150/hr to guess!
Well, for starters, don't pay the dealer, demand a loaner, and politely suggest that they call VW for technical assistance.

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
The dealer at least paid for a rental for me to get home after I spent all day waiting at the dealership. I'll give them credit for that.

The service manager said they were going to call VW technical assistance in the morning to see what they had to say. He thought they had run into this problem before but couldn't remember what the fix was.

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
I just wonder if anyone else has had this problem so that I could offer them some ideas if they come up short tomorrow.

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
Dealer said they took it for an 80km test drive while forcing a regen.....still no luck! They had better not give me a $2k labour bill for this!

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
Well I got the Passat back today.
Service manager said they get one in 100 Passats that they can't reset the adblue countdown timer. Says they used tech tips procedure 26-12-01 to fix it.
Happy to have my car back!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What'd they charge you?

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
Dealer ended up charging me for the NOx sensor and install and an additional hour of diagnostic time. He did give me 10% off the sensor and paid for a rental car for me for 2 days. I will say I am actually pretty impressed with the dealer.

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
Just took the car on a 1600mile tri. Ran great.
Plugged VCDS into it and got a 15733 fault. No CEL

Cleared it and it came back a couple hundred miles later, again no CEL

Not sure why I'm getting this when the NOx sensor was just done.

Other weird thing is that when I pull the code it says Mileage. 0km. Does this indicate some sort of a electrical gremlin? Should it not give my actual mileage that the code was stored?