Nanometer soot maybe worse for diesel emissions

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Today comes the news that DUSTLESSNESS INCREASES POLLUTION:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39895558

I wonder if the environmentalist drive to reduce the size of soot particles makes also pollution worse in European cities, in other words: large size soot particles may be better for the air than smaller size soot particles.

By the way, our lungs can filter out particles as small as 5 micrometers, but not smaller than that, which is what our new Ad-Blue technology diesels produce:

INVISIBLE TO THE EYE NANOMETER SIZE SOOT​

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
OK, so there's a couple things going on here, and I feel that I need to address them separately.

Today comes the news that DUSTLESSNESS INCREASES POLLUTION:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39895558
Note that the dust blowing in from the Gobi desert has a significantly different health and environmental impact than diesel PM10.

On the health front, diesel PM10 is carcinogenic, and AFAIK in far lower concentrations than the dust concentrations that would cause silicosis and cancer from that.

On the environmental front, diesel PM10 is black, which means that it'll absorb light and cause warming, unlike the light-colored dust, which will reflect light and reduce warming.

I wonder if the environmentalist drive to reduce the size of soot particles makes also pollution worse in European cities, in other words: large size soot particles may be better for the air than smaller size soot particles.
By the way, our lungs can filter out particles as small as 5 micrometers, but not smaller than that, which is what our new Ad-Blue technology diesels produce:
INVISIBLE TO THE EYE NANOMETER SIZE SOOT​
The movement is not to reduce the size of soot particles, it's to reduce overall particle mass, and a functioning DPF does that effectively without increasing particle count (so particles are eliminated, not divided). However, gasoline direct injection engines have big problems with high PM2.5 emissions... which regulators have become aware of, and are responding to.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Actually, it has been shown that DPF is especially effective in reducing nanoparticles in diesel engine exhaust to background levels:

...Due to the overlapping filtration mechanisms, both large as well as small particles can be held back reliably, thus achieving a filtering efficiency of nearly 100% across the entire spectrum of sizes...

...Since the diffusion speed increases with decreasing particle size, smaller particles are actually separated the most effectively....
Fiebig et al., "Particulate emissions from diesel engines: correlation between engine technology and emissions." Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology, 2014, 9:6, http://www.occup-med.com/content/pdf/1745-6673-9-6.pdf [Page 8 of 18, emphasis added]