My account was not hacked

LustForTDi

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Hello All. I recently posted this thread about a brass ring that improves torque and fuel efficiency.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291883

here is the link to CNN's website (click on the Big I for 08/25):

http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/category/anchors/ali-velshi/the-big-i/

I was accused of having my account hacked and that is not the case. Then the thread was locked. This seems a little premature. If I had questions for those people who disparaged the product, we had no way to debate this. So I would like to try one more time.

My main question would be in regards to this: Just because it was on CNN, does that mean they verified that it worked?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My main question would be in regards to this: Just because it was on CNN, does that mean they verified that it worked?
No, what it really means is that CNN was taken for a ride (duped into believing it worked). CNN (and other news outlets) have been duped like this before. There have been lots of these "miracle" mileage fixes sold to unsuspecting drivers over the years. None of them work. None of them show any third party testing that proves that they are worth anything. Adding a little "swirl" to the intake plumbing of an engine does nothing for mileage, but it does enrich the sellers. The reason your thread was locked is twofold. 1) All of the real experts believed that the device was junk, and 2) It was turning into a "bash the OP" session, which neither you (the OP) or the moderators liked.

Have Fun!

Don

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Hello All. I recently posted this thread about a brass ring that improves torque and fuel efficiency.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291883

here is the link to CNN's website (click on the Big I for 08/25):

http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/category/anchors/ali-velshi/the-big-i/

I was accused of having my account hacked and that is not the case. Then the thread was locked. This seems a little premature. If I had questions for those people who disparaged the product, we had no way to debate this. So I would like to try one more time.

Unfortunately CNN got swindled by the Snake Oil Salesman again.

LustForTDi

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Wow. That's upsetting. I don't normally fall for this kind of stuff. I have never bought something from an infomercial or a TV ad. I always figured if something really worked, it would eventually make it to stores. Usually doing a google search of the product and the word "scam" turns up the truth, but it did not in this case...

Is anyone doing real journalism anymore?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Is anyone doing real journalism anymore?
It is difficult when you are in the 24 hour news business and you want to scoop the competition. Sad, but true. CNN is not the first (or only) news organization to be caught not checking out their sources. They also will not be the last. In this regard they are no better (or worse) than MSNBC, or FOXNews. The 24 hour a day news business is becomming a lot like the internet. There is good information out there, but there is also a lot of "noise" as well.

Have Fun!

Don

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Kenny Wallace's endorsement should trigger an extra measure of due diligence, regardless of the product.

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
I don't think CNN was 'duped' at all, in any way. Even those people who work there aren't that stupid.

Every year there's another new gadget that claims fuel efficiency gains (the majority seem to introduce extra turbulence in the air).

Does anyone believe the claims? Everyone on this earth and certainly any other earth already knows they don't have any effect, but like any car wreck, you have to look at them.

Anybody with a brain (and that is certainly you) can see that they'd put this story up as fast as possible so people will hang on after the commercial breaks to keep their eyes on CNN since it's such a sensational idea that would interest almost every person and create a big demand for CNN.

There's no other reason to think they'd do that now, is there?

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
You shouldn't start a new thread to replace the old locked one.

(Unless you're trying to get banned)

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Why are you trying to promote this? How silly can you be that you could believe this actually works? Especially in the TDI what with its super swirly turbocharger thing...

I knew people that invested in the FFI mpg caps, and even after I presented all the evidence and facts (like the fact that it was registered with the epa as a lead replacement with detailed info stating that was all it did) they still held on, just like you will because you probably invested in this too.

Bottom line, they didn't even bother testing the thing.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
<SNIP>

I was accused of having my account hacked and that is not the case. Then the thread was locked. This seems a little premature. <SNIP>

You were not 'accused' of having your account hacked, you were given the benefit of the doubt that you were smart enough not to fall for something as obviously fake as this.

Strange days on the TDIforum.

Bill

Last edited:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
That would have been great if one of the fins came loose & got sucked into the engine of the news truck. That would make for good tv.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
Initially all of the products work but it has nothing to do with the product and every thing to do with the driving habits. The owners of the fuel saving products drive better for awhile in an attempt to get better mileage then the novelty wares off and they go back to their old habits and the fuel economy plummets. Nothing works better then a light right foot.

LustForTDi

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
I would like to thank everyone for their input. Sane and rational, just like I would expect from TDIClub.

Except for Victor... You should not assume everyone knows exactly what you know, or what you think people should know. And you missed the whole point of this thread. I promoted the product when I saw it on CNN because I believed that CNN had checked it out. After it was pointed out that it was "snake oil," I simply wanted to know why CNN would be a mouthpiece for charlatans (Actually any news channel would work here. I would had not believed that MSNBC or FOX would do this either). Now I'm afraid that I'll turn on the "news" and see a segment on penile enlargements or a story on a Nigerian prince who needs your help to get his $5 million dollars out of Nigeria.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Hey no worries. This type of reporting is not unprecedented on cable news. Back in 05 while in a hotel lobby I caught a segment on MSNBC, IIRC. The reporter was in New England showing a rep from some company frying bacon then pouring the grease from the pan directly into a tank in the back of a TDI Golf. The gist was that the car would run great on this free fuel with the company's system installed.:rolleyes: