build your own interface plans???

Jeef

TDI
1999.5 Silver Arrow
Does anyone have a link to a faq on building your own cable?
parts list and diagram. Just trying to save my self the time of figuring it out myself. And yes I know small soldering is involved.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
When I built one, I put the works in a project box from Radio Shack, spliced it into a straight through DB9 cable, and used one of their OBDII-DB9 cables. Since they have a $50 minimum order, GeWilli got several at one time for us. This method removed concern for getting connectors to fit into the box.

Yes that design works great and appears to be identical to the basis of the interface sold by LanduytG. That latter has LEDs added to indicate status of power, K-line and L-line.

Jeef

TDI
1999.5 Silver Arrow
thanks for the help guys the parts are on order! Did you guys etch your own boards?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Some have etched the boards, others have just wired the parts together. The Radio Shack project box I used came with a prototype board to fit inside. The board is perforated, with soldering pads around each hole. I just mounted all the parts and wired between them with small gauge wire wrapping wire (also from Radio Shack).

Locosmotion

Veteran Member
TDI
1999, Beetle TDI White
I etched my board works fine now. I had some trouble as the site listed above shows the wrong NTE part number if you choose to use their opto-isolators. Simply go to NTE's site and cross reference the NEC numbers to the correct NTE number as I understand it the correct part is a closer match to the NEC and has only recently(2 months or so) been available.
Phil

JetA_Jetta

TDI
'04 Jetta
Have any of you guys found any shortcomings in your adapters that you built that you think would be overcome by purchasing the "dongle" made by Ross-Tech?

EtherNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, White
I'm pretty sure ours won't work in "fast" mode as the old "opto" style prevents that. But I've never needed it. I don't do butt dyno graphing and stuff like that..