Photobucket P500 3rd Party Hosting

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move as needed.

As of a few days ago Photobucket has begun blocking 3rd party image hosting. This means that every image linked from photobucket in the last 14+ years will be a dead link. Every DIY, build thread, for sale post, etc.

Photobucket for me has been under my skin for several years now. Poorly designed apps, constantly crashing website etc, but with 4,700 photos of mine hosted there I have felt stuck and just kept with it.

Now what? Pay the astronomical $400/yr for a service that has always been free. Photobucket's use has always been 3rd party hosting. I can get a new image host, sure, but fixing every link? What about the users who don't fix their images. Quality posts will be rendered useless.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This is a great reason why users should use the TDIClub's own picture server. It is free and it works (despite being a bit clunky to use), plus the pictures do not disappear.

Have Fun!

Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I can't fix all my links across the web but I am downloading all my pics off of there. Downloading folders in zip format back to my laptop.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
I can't fix all my links across the web but I am downloading all my pics off of there. Downloading folders in zip format back to my laptop.
I need to do the same. Was attempting yesterday but the site didn't cooperate too well.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It has been difficult to use for a while now. Used to be easier and faster. If I am on a forum I now always try and use their own server if they have one.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it has been a bear for a few years now. Kept using it though just because everything else of mine is there. I started an Amazon photo's account. Guess we will see how that goes.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am all Google connected so am using their photo service now. It automatically uploads pics when I get within WiFi range. It doesn't seem to give me a choice for an image link like PB did.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
i had a few tutorials that have gone dead due to photbucket. At least I had it complete in a PDF which I can link to, so while an inconvenience, nothing was lost.

shaurdav

TDI
golf
This is a great reason why users should use their own image server. Own servers are very convenient. One day I decided to create a game just for my friends. I spent a lot of time developing the game. It isn't easy to create a quality game, but I succeeded. After I made the game, I searched for a cheap vps server so that my friends could play without other people. When everything was ready, I called all my friends to my house and presented them with the game. They really liked it, and sometimes we all play it together on weekends.

Last edited: