Short Shifter Question

wiezzl

TDI
Jetta 2000 Black
The other day I was on the VW Vortex site and saw a post regarding the use of a Audi TT shift linkage to create a 20% shorter throw in the shifter.
does anyone know if this part will fit a 2000 Jetta 5spd and if so what is the part number?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yes, the DG SS is a nice unit, but if your after an economical mod, the TT is the way to go. C$50 at the dealer. I will post the part# later, I have it in my car somewhere. Here is a guy who can get one for you for $38.

Edit: Part # for 2000 is 6NO 711 051

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I have the original dg short shifter. Nice. I had a chance to drive a TT a couple of months ago. As I recall the throws were a little longer but a little snappier and less vauge. No much. Pleasant, as I recall.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have a Neuspeed SS and it reduces the throw about 35-40% I beleive. Very similar to the DG SS. It is better than the reduction offered bt the TT SS, but for the price, the TT SS can't be beat.

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
It fit my car (also a 2000) just fine, and it's nice. About the way it should be, maybe a little bit shorter.

Part number: 8N0 711 051 for 2000, 2001 models (8N0 711 051 A for 2002 models)

There's going to be a London, Woodstock, or Burlington GTG near you soon, it can be installed there no problemo!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
[ QUOTE ]
CaTdi2002 said:
why would I put a short shift kit in ? whats to be gained ?

[/ QUOTE ]

ahem.

Shorter shifts.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
wiezzl said:
does anyone know if this part will fit a 2000 Jetta 5spd and if so what is the part number?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the part will fit the TDi but the reduction is minimal compared to the dieselgeek kit or the Neuspeed kit. The TT shifter does nothing to reduce side-to-side movement. Getting a kit like dieselgeel's WITH the side-to-side reducer is how you achieve short travel.

Currently, I am running the Neuspeed kit with the Dieselgeek side-to-side reducer and it's very short. It has taken me a number of attempts to get the cables adjusted to perfection but now it's just right. /images/graemlins/grin.gif