4 Regen cycles in a row? Long term car if I only make short stop and go trips?

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
2013 with with 17,500 miles. Bought in Sept of 2013 new. My current daily trip is 6 miles in Dallas stop and go traffic. When I purchased the car it was 20 miles one way in semi stop and go traffic. That was from Sept. until Nov. 2014. From 2014 to currently, I have been making the short trip to work.

Until this recent of 4 regens in a row, I only had about 1 every 2 weeks or 3 weeks. I have not taken the car in yet for the recall.

A little about me. I like to keep cars a long time and drive them paid for. My vehicle before this one was a 2004 Tacoma. I only owe about $11,500 on this Passat.

Questions are:

1. Should I be concerned about these 4 regens?
2. Will the recall correct this problem? (I did get the VW letter for recall)
3. With my current short trip, Is this a car I should be keeping?
Here are some stats it it helps anyone give an opinion:
Last fill up was on 3/23.
149 miles traveled
31.8 mpg
19 mph avg speed
7 hours 45 minutes of travel time.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.
MC

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
With the kind of driving you are doing, increased regens will be normal. I drive 35 miles one way currently and get about 1 or 2 per tank. When I was driving 5 miles they also happened more often.

What does 4 regens in a row mean? They all happen in a row. How many miles between regens? For your kind of driving the Passat is overkill and may not have been the best choice. Unless you do a lot of traveling besides. They really shine as a highway traveling car or long commuter.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
mc4nam: Sounds like your car is doing what it's designed to do: clearing out the DPF when the soot load reaches a pre-determined limit. The frequency of regens is directly related to soot load levels, which will always be higher with short trips.

The modern VW CRTDIs don't like short trips, for several reasons. Burning too much fuel during the (interrupted!) warm-up, and never getting hot enough to fully heat up parts that need to be heated up (this is also true for gas engines, but not as serious for emissions equipment)

AFTER I (naively) bought my first TDI, in Jan. 09, intending to use it for a similar distance commute, I came to this club for info. I soon discovered what I just described to you in the above paragraph. I was told by several here that I should trade my car for a hybrid/electric, as the short trips would quickly kill the DPF/emissions systems.

Now, at 89k miles (JSW), my ash load (what's remaining after DPF regens) is slightly elevated compared to other comparable engines. HOWEVER, I have religiously run my car vigorously every 10 days or so, getting it out on the highway for sustained cruising, which these engines LOVE. In addition, I just never start my cars for a single short errand. (I would do the same with a gas engine, but again, in general, they're more forgiving of short trips)

So, I'm not sure anyone can answer your questions. Our 2014 is currently doing a 3.5m commute, and I'm NOT happy about it, but I make sure it gets out on the open highway as often as possible. FYI, its ash levels are on the same track as my 2009 JSW.

I hope this helps. (Thread drift: seems there are several DFW members here. We should plan a to meet sometime and wreak havoc on our cars with my VagCom.!)

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
With the kind of driving you are doing, increased regens will be normal. I drive 35 miles one way currently and get about 1 or 2 per tank. When I was driving 5 miles they also happened more often.

What does 4 regens in a row mean? They all happen in a row. How many miles between regens? For your kind of driving the Passat is overkill and may not have been the best choice. Unless you do a lot of traveling besides. They really shine as a highway traveling car or long commuter.
Sorry. For Clarification, I meant The last 4 trips I made, after I turned off the car, It was going through a regen cycle. I thought it was a good choice when I was driving 50 miles a day. Now I am going less than 20. Gas VW, Mazda 6, or Fusion Hybrid might be a better choice now.

mc4nam: Sounds like your car is doing what it's designed to do: clearing out the DPF when the soot load reaches a pre-determined limit. The frequency of regens is directly related to soot load levels, which will always be higher with short trips.

The modern VW CRTDIs don't like short trips, for several reasons. Burning too much fuel during the (interrupted!) warm-up, and never getting hot enough to fully heat up parts that need to be heated up (this is also true for gas engines, but not as serious for emissions equipment)

AFTER I (naively) bought my first TDI, in Jan. 09, intending to use it for a similar distance commute, I came to this club for info. I soon discovered what I just described to you in the above paragraph. I was told by several here that I should trade my car for a hybrid/electric, as the short trips would quickly kill the DPF/emissions systems.

Now, at 89k miles (JSW), my ash load (what's remaining after DPF regens) is slightly elevated compared to other comparable engines. HOWEVER, I have religiously run my car vigorously every 10 days or so, getting it out on the highway for sustained cruising, which these engines LOVE. In addition, I just never start my cars for a single short errand. (I would do the same with a gas engine, but again, in general, they're more forgiving of short trips)

So, I'm not sure anyone can answer your questions. Our 2014 is currently doing a 3.5m commute, and I'm NOT happy about it, but I make sure it gets out on the open highway as often as possible. FYI, its ash levels are on the same track as my 2009 JSW.

I hope this helps. (Thread drift: seems there are several DFW members here. We should plan a to meet sometime and wreak havoc on our cars with my VagCom.!)
I don't get it out and drive it like you are doing but it sounds like I need to if I keep it. Let me know when and where a meet up is. I am sure I could learn quite a bit.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mc4nam: Just noticed your MPG. Our 2014 Passat is right at that number, still gets upper 40s on the highway.
JSW, by comparison, is always right at the EPA rating of 29mpg/city. I'm NOT happy about that, but it will still get 45+ on the highway. I had a loaner for a few days (2015 TSI), it never got above 27mpg, about 80/20 h/c.
FYI...
For your current 6 mile commute, IMHO, the only alternative is to go hybrid, or full electric. I wanted to do that when we relocated here, but I was advised that the all electric Leaf was having issues with the rapid recharge systems, causing early battery capacity issues. Heat also compromises battery capacity.

My solution is to enjoy what I already own, and adjust for idiosyncrasies in engineering to prolong the life of both cars.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Sounds like you're not running the car long enough for it to complete a full regen cycle and it is starting a new cycle each time. If I understand correctly, this could eventually cause a serious problem with the DPF.

I'd suggest you take it out and drive it until a full regen cycle completes. You should do this as needed so long as you're only commuting six miles.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you interrupt a regen, it will attempt another one during the next drive cycle. If you continually interrupt them, it will keep trying, and if unsuccessful, it will turn on the DPF light on the dash. Ignoring the DPF light and continuing to interrupt regens will result in the DPF clogging and needing to be replaced at great expense.

It sounds to me like you need to let the regens finish when they start instead of interrupting them (idling in the parking lot or driveway until it is complete is sufficient). If you don't know when they're happening, then install a ScanGauge and monitor what is going on. Other options include taking a longer route to work or taking a 15+ mile drive at least once per week.

6 mile drive cycles are not good for modern TDIs. I hate to say it, but if you can't adjust your driving routine to allow regens to complete, then you should reconsider your vehicle choice. My commute is 8 miles and I have to let it idle in the driveway to complete regens periodically. Fortunately, I offset this with frequent road trips (80,000 miles of driving in 3 years).

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...small but critical typo above..."...but IF you can't adjust your driving routine to allow regens to complete, then you should reconsider your vehicle choice"

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Thanks for all the input. Now that I know that letting it idle to finish the regen will benefit, I will.

What I don't understand is why it just started doing it now? I have been doing this short drive for about 3 months now. It would happen maybe once a week on the same exact drive, but now it has happened 4 times in a row?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It could have been completing them on one of your periodic longer drives up until now. Once it is determined that a regen needs to be initiated, it will attempt repeatedly until it can be completed.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
It could have been completing them on one of your periodic longer drives up until now. Once it is determined that a regen needs to be initiated, it will attempt repeatedly until it can be completed.
Thanks. Just to be clear, the next time I hear it happening, just keep it idling until it stops?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah. Get yourself a ScanGauge and it will make things a lot more clear for you.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
You can also spot a regen because the car idles at a higher rpm. My JSW idles at 1000 when regenerating. I honestly haven't caught my Passat in mid regen yet, but assume it'll be similar.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Everything you ever wanted to know and more: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360498
+1^^ Simple to install and easily available. The thread VeeDub mentions is a great resource. I like the P3 Cars integrated vent gauge as well, but the Scan Gauge II is a third the price, and you can monitor 4 data points at once. Having the data in front of you as you drive will ensure you do not interrupt the regen. I also agree with getting your TDI out on the road at least once I week. Your short commute will take its toll on gas or diesel without letting it warm and run at highway speeds for a while.

Otherwise, theres always a Tesla :D... Had my first experience behind the wheel of one a few weeks ago, nice ride!

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Just an update. I have not had a Regen cycle since this one. I am intentionaly taking it out on the freeway every few days and drive 70+ mph for just a couple of minutes. Hopefully that is enough.

I realize this car is not made for constant short trips like I currently do but man I sure love getting diesel once a month. Just rolled 18k miles. It looks like I am going to be at about 10k miles a year.

I really really want to just keep the car at least 6 or so years. Am I going to be OK or is that too much of a gamble with my driving habits? I am so torn on what to do.

On a side note, I hear a really low pitch whiny noise when I first start it driving off? It goes in and out like something rolling and whining. That make sense. Any ideas? Is it just part of warm up of some sort just like the clicking noise you hear for a second when you 1st start it?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
A couple of minutes is not enough. It takes a regen +/- 10 minutes or so to complete once it starts. I watch for mine on the Torque app and I prefer to keep driving until finished. Too hot in Texas to just let it idle in my opinion. Most of mine happen on my 35 mile commute now.