intermittent engine noise/vibration

Brother James

TDI
05 MK4 PD BEW Golf TDI
Hi all, my tdi is an 05 pd with 133000 miles on it. I've had it for 2 1/2 years and have but 75,000 miles on it. Oil changes every 10k, mostly 10W30. The problem is this; suddenly and without warning when starting to drive from a standing stop the car apruptly sounded as though the exhaust at the cat just let go. Really loud, right under my seat, the vibrations were moving stuff around on the dash. I shut the car off and looked under expecting to see the all too familar exhaust hanging loose and broken only to find all as it should be. Next got back in, pulled over to the side,and this time left the car running so as to lsten for the leak. It was quieter outside the car, under the hood did sound louder and rougher. I shut it down again, waited , check the oil, down 1qt. (but I knew that, I had planned to change the oil next weekend) , added 1qt. of oil to make sure the dip stick was reading right, it was, it was now at full. I decided to drive on, its now about an hour nice the onset, and the car is sounding less bad. Drove for 2 mi. stoped, waited, checked everthing one can check while on the side of the road, and then drove on. The noise and vibration were gone, as if it never happened.
I drove around town the next day, no problems but I had a feeling that something just isn't right. I drove 45 min. to work , all still alright, untill the last 1/4 mile, a hard right up a steep hill in first gear, and there it was again that phantom noise, back again. It was gone when I check 15 min. later. Any thoughts any one ?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'll prevent this from becoming a one-man thread; so please tell us what the problem was. Did your skid plate come loose, perhaps?

Brother James

TDI
05 MK4 PD BEW Golf TDI
Hi I've been away for alittle while so wasn't keeping up with posts. A rock had gotten weadged between the black bracket on the dog bone mount and my DG skid pl8. You would not believe the noise that can make! I panicked and feared the dreaded can failure had come to claim my tdi.
And as for oil; yes 5W30, it's what is offered most in oil change kits from online sources, at least the ones I'm familiar with; but never again.
thanks