Survey reveals strong commitment of clean diesel drivers

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
http://www.volkswagengroupamerica.c...EVEALS_STRONG_COMMITMENT_OF_CLEAN_DIESEL.html

SURVEY REVEALS STRONG COMMITMENT OF CLEAN DIESEL DRIVERS TO THEIR VEHICLES BASED ON FUEL EFFICIENCY, ECONOMIC VALUE AND PERFORMANCE

“Diesel Disconnect” on the Benefits of Clean Diesel Exists Among Gasoline and Hybrid Drivers

Herndon, Va. – Volkswagen of America, Inc. today released the findings of its first annual Clean Diesel IQ Survey. The survey found that clean diesel drivers have an overwhelming commitment to clean diesel vehicles and are acutely aware of its benefits, but broad understanding of clean diesel technology remains uneven among non-diesel drivers. The survey findings will be officially released tonight at the German American Chamber of Commerce Automotive Forum “Clean Diesel on the Rise” at 6 p.m. in the Press Lounge at Ink48 Hotel.
The survey of 1,511 U.S. gasoline, hybrid and clean diesel drivers revealed that 88 percent of clean diesel drivers believe that clean diesels are some of today’s most fuel-efficient vehicles, and that more than half of gasoline and hybrid drivers agree. For clean diesel drivers, 53 percent listed better mileage as their top clean diesel vehicle attribute. Additionally, more than half of clean diesel drivers who responded to the survey characterize their vehicles as having strong acceleration capabilities.
“Though there is a lack of awareness among non-diesel drivers, current clean diesel owners know that their vehicles are quick, clean, efficient, and fun to drive,” said Douglas Skorupski, Manager of Technical Strategy, Volkswagen of America. “And we know that once a driver experiences a clean diesel vehicle, they become dedicated to the diesel powertrain.”

Jim B PEI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5M, (2010 Golf wagon DSG GONE, replaced by a 2014 Subaru Forester)
I have both--a CVT 2012 Prius C hybrid, and a 5 speed 2003 TDI wagon. Both vehicles make sense to me--the tiny Prius C for local and slow/city stuff, and the larger TDI for highway. The cutoff point is for me: under 70kph/45 mph gets the Prius, or over 70 kph/45 mph gets the VW. Both excel at something and aren't as amazing doing other things.

I LOATHE driving a manual diesel in endless stop and go traffic in hot weather, and a true horror story for me would be going on a transcontinental trip in a hybrid, especially where there are steep hills involved...

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Try the new Jetta hybrid - hills & fast driving or city traffic - all no problem.
Really? I think it was Car/Driver that said after reviewing the Hybrid.......forget it and get the diesel. More fun, better 'overall' mpg and better drive-ability. Check it out for yourself.

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Yes to Fun. I also have the DSG on the Jetta and I love it. Handles well and is great on the highway.

I thought I'd miss the manual transmission but that's what I have my Aprilia for.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Really? I think it was Car/Driver that said after reviewing the Hybrid.......forget it and get the diesel. More fun, better 'overall' mpg and better drive-ability. Check it out for yourself.

I test drive a jetta hybrid. It's like any other hybrid and you must plan your slow down rate. The typical go pedal stop pedal style doesn't work. The jetta hybrid had plenty of power and was seamless in torque deliver- turbo rush was instant. Dsg was perfect in the car. You had instant smooth shifts and didn't even notice if shifted or what gear it was in. I drove both super slow and full throttle. Drove some in d and some in s with manual shifts. Most dealers let you sign up them get a 25$ gift card for a test drive- go for it.

I would have bought a golf version over a tdi if it was offered and near the same price and had a plug in option. Knowing the last 1.5 miles of my return trip would be 100% fuel free and the plugin would keep the battery properly charged untill next day. Also need a timer set up like the volt so the car/battery would warm up prior to the first trip.