Skunkwerx Performance TDI Performance, Repair, Service and Malone Tuning

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
^Thanks for the kind words Ross :)

Today in the Skunkwerx shop was a brand new 2014 Passat TDI with only 741 miles on the odo. Malone tuned it to stage 1.5 for an additional 25 hp and 65 lb-ft of torque. I also installed a set of nice, progressively wound H&R sport lowering springs for about 1.3" - 1.5" drop and firmer handling. Completely changed the character of this car :D. Feels much better connected to the road and a whole lot less body roll in the corners!

matty-matt

TDI
2014 Passat TDI manual
Passat drove great on the way home, Dax. Feels completely different and like it should have in the first place. Good torque, great driveability and no longer threatens to wind up on its roof with every turn of the wheel.
Mission accomplished for sure.
Thanks for your professional and detailed attention.
Now all i need to do is not do anything else to it....

sumtingwong1381

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI
I'm looking at getting the 1.5 with Econo tune, and the DSG tune done in the next couple months. Do you have to wait for the equipment to tune the DSG, or do you already have it?

A5INKY

TDI
I'm looking at getting the 1.5 with Econo tune, and the DSG tune done in the next couple months. Do you have to wait for the equipment to tune the DSG, or do you already have it?
Great! I have the equipment to tune the DSG too. I could tune your car today :D

sumtingwong1381

TDI
Great! I have the equipment to tune the DSG too. I could tune your car today :D

I would love to have the DSG tune today, but I am going to wait until I get the 40K service done. I have 37,814 on it right now, so I should hit 40 within the next couple of weeks. I will be ready for the tune shortly after that.

A5INKY

TDI
Sounds good.

I would love to have the DSG tune today, but I am going to wait until I get the 40K service done. I have 37,814 on it right now, so I should hit 40 within the next couple of weeks. I will be ready for the tune shortly after that.
BTW, I do 40K mile services too :)

sumtingwong1381

TDI
Sounds good.

BTW, I do 40K mile services too :)
Yeah, I am going to take it down to Richard's (close to Atlanta) with all the parts, and learn how to do it all. I was a Toyota mechanic for a few years in my previous life, but I am completely ignorant when it comes to diesel.

I will keep you in mind for my regular maintenance though! I don't want to take it to the dealer for oil changes.

GummiBrenner

TDI
2012 manual golf 2.0 TDI
I recently had Skunkwerx install a Malone stage 2 tune on my TDI. I am amazed with the results! Skunkwerx was extremely knowledgeable about anything TDI. Skunkwerx is the only place I will trust with my TDI from now on. Thanks again Skunkwerx!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I recently had Skunkwerx install a Malone stage 2 tune on my TDI. I am amazed with the results! Skunkwerx was extremely knowledgeable about anything TDI. Skunkwerx is the only place I will trust with my TDI from now on. Thanks again Skunkwerx!
Welcome to TDIclub, and glad you are happy with your Malone tune and Dax/Skunkwerx!

A5INKY

TDI
Thanks Sam! Was a pleasure. Thanks too for the gift. Now that you are a registered member you need an avatar. May I suggest:

:D
Welcome to TDIclub, and glad you are happy with your Malone tune and Dax/Skunkwerx!
Thanks for the kind words Clint. I also appreciate your introductions with the local V dub crowd - good folks!

A5INKY

TDI
NOTICE:

Due to needed service on Malone's equipment used for writing Skunkwerx's 2009 to present ECU tunes (and all DSG tunes) these specific tuning services will not be scheduled for a short time starting February 18th. The equipment is being shipped for service to Germany and the goal is to be back online with tunes within a week, but 2 weeks of down-time is possible.

If you are interested in one of these tunes, there are still a few appointment slots available before then. Please call or email with inquiries, contact info is available via link by clicking the logo in my signature below.

Tuning for cars model years 2000 to 2008 will not be affected.

Thanks for understanding and I will update this post once those services resume.

matty-matt

TDI
2014 Passat TDI manual
Dax,
Super happy with the Malone 1.5 tune you did on the new Passat. Powerband is about 2000-3500. Much lower or higher isn't real productive but.....
Ran it down to Florida and back, 2500 miles, averaging over 70 mph and over 42 mpg!
No need to downshift from 6th on interstate to pass, even in mountains. just push it to the floor anytime rpm's are more than about 2000 and it pulls strong enough to move.
It's a highway car for sure. I don't really care for it that much around town. Anytime it's below about 10mph i gotta go down to first gear which seems strange.
Swapped out the Hankooks for Michelin Primacy and added a bigger rear sway bar. It actually handles really well now! The steering has always felt great, but now the car does what i ask when i ask and then stops moving instead of wallowing all over the place like with stock springs.
Again, thanks so much for working me in to your schedule and doing a professional job setting it up.
Matt

Last edited:

sumtingwong1381

TDI
Got my 1.5 and DSG tune from Dax. Worth the money! Dax is a knowledgable guy, and willing to share it. Getting the rest of my 40k tomorrow.
Thanks again!

burtblade

TDI
MK5 BRM
Just wanted to take the time to give a big bump for Dax. I took my car to him last weekend for a timing belt change and to check my camshaft which he changed out with a frank06 stage 2 cam. My car had some hesitation issues in the lower gears along with black smoke and Dax was very professional and did an excellent job. I would highly recommend him to anyone that is needing anything done to their TDI. He has a head full of knowledge and has answered all my emails (I have sent a bunch.. LOL). I wish him the best and hope his business will continue to expand. I definitely know where I will be taking my car going forward in the future!

A5INKY

TDI
Thanks for the kind words guys. :D

Working on some new developments at Skunkwerx. Will post an update soon!

DubOn937

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2001 Jetta GLX VR6 (gone)
Thanks for the kind words guys. :D

Working on some new developments at Skunkwerx. Will post an update soon!
Dax,
Still waiting on the update on the new developments! I love the Stage 2 you did for me over the Valentine's Day weekend. The wife is impressed, too. If anyone is hesitant about doing the tune, or using you...be not afraid! Will be seeing you soon for the Stage 3 (I can't resist, I need MORE!), as I should be ordering the turbo and parts before this weekend :D
Thanks again for your professionalism, patience, and know-how!

A5INKY

TDI
Dax,
Still waiting on the update on the new developments! I love the Stage 2 you did for me over the Valentine's Day weekend. The wife is impressed, too. If anyone is hesitant about doing the tune, or using you...be not afraid! Will be seeing you soon for the Stage 3 (I can't resist, I need MORE!), as I should be ordering the turbo and parts before this weekend :D
Thanks again for your professionalism, patience, and know-how!
Thanks Jared! New developments will be fuel injector related. There are some CR fuel system upgrade plans in the early stages of development, but those are a ways out. Stage 3, let do it!

A5INKY

TDI
Passat B5.5 Manual Transmission Swap!

Newly added to the Skunkwerx repertoire are B5.5 Passat manual transmission swaps!

Not the most "tragic" of the VW automatic transmissions, the B5.5's ZF is trouble prone and very expensive to replace. Now, for about the same cost as an OE transmission replacement, Skunkwerx can upgrade you to a 5 speed manual transmission with a single mass flywheel clutch assembly. This is a very involved and labor intensive conversion but the results are completely worth it! Conversion requires ECU tuning so why not increase the power while we are at it. Malone stage 2 tuning matches up well with this combo resulting an a smooth, quiet and more powerful car that returns better fuel economy too.

The finished product looks and drives like the car came from the factory that way. :D

A5INKY

TDI
I wanna see this manual swapped passat!
You'll have to wait until it gets back from MI. Got the last of the dash lights out late last night and car left for a road trip very early this morning. No worries, owner called me from Detroit and said it is driving smooth as butter with no issues. Nothing like a road trip immediately after major surgery. Or, as I call it, a "trail by fire!" :eek:

I'll give you a call next time it is scheduled for service.

DubOn937

TDI
If you need a testing platform for the fuel system upgrades, let me know! I'm undoubtedly going to be needing to address fueling concerns within the next year. Like you said...it's not a bad hobby =)

A5INKY

TDI
Lots of fun stuff happening at Skunkwerx. Of course there was my first B5.5 Passat 5 speed swap a few weeks ago. Got to drive it again recently, what a perfect upgrade for a troubled TDI model.

Yesterday did my first CR "Stage 3" upgrade with a CR170 turbo mated to a Buzzken 2.5" downpipe and tune from Malone. What a sleeper! Fast and smooth with no loss of bottom end power. Drives just like an OE stock car if you want it also will rip through the gears with authority when you want. Congrats DubOn937!

Been seeing way to many broken oil pans and various levels of resulting damage lately. Now stocking genuine Dieselgeek Panzer skid plates for popular models. They may not be cheaper than an oil pan, but they are far less costly than an engine. Speaking of which, got a '03 golf in the shop awaiting a new long block to arrive for this very reason. Ouch!

Also, now stocking a good supply of Schaeffer's S9000 5W40 engine oil in both gallons and quarts at competitive prices. Sorry, no shipping on oil but if your are in the neighborhood I got your S9000 need covered.

A5INKY

TDI
Emails preferred over PMs

I have received a couple of inquiries via PM in the last couple of days from members that are not allowed to receive PMs just yet for whatever reason :confused:. "country boy" and GASDAG, if you are reading this please send your inquiries to my email address. Simply click on the logo in my sig to take you to my website, then click on the "Contact" tab for my email.

Thanks guys!

A5INKY

TDI

Van Wylder

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta sedan 5 spd. 03 Jetta wagon 5 spd.
Where you at in the "Ville?

Update: I figured it out.

Last edited:

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I'll have to add another positive review for Dax! Had some interesting luck getting some bigger injectors and nozzles swapped into my brm, that's another story, but Dax was more than willing to help work with my schedule and get it back up and running! You wouldn't believe the cleanliness of his shop and think he works on these filthy engines all day long!!

Bought a panzer plate while I was there one day as well, he finally talked me into one being im on air ride and love to drive low ;), waiting another 3k miles for the next oil change where I'm going to put in a magnetic drain plug and put the plate on. Hope it doesn't prevent me from laying frame, but we shall see!

I'm sure it won't be the last time im in his shop for one thing or another :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DubOn937

TDI
Can you believe I've over 1300 miles on that Stage 3 already? Runs like a dream. Thanks again for the hard work, Dax. I'll be seeing you again for sure approximately @ 79,500 mark. I will pick up a skidplate then, too =) ...and maybe strategically map out my next move for more power!