Ignition switch replacement - Remove collar w/????

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Hi TDI'ers,

I'm in the process of replacing my faulty ignition switch contacts. But I can't get the steering wheel collar off.

Other posters have mentioned using a puller, and the Bently manual refers to a 2-armed special puller. I've tried a std gear puller with a 'Posi-lock' clamp that holds the fingers tight, but they still slip off. There is only a 1/16 of an inch lip to pull. Mine is getting gouged.

Anyone know what the VW mechanics use?

Thanks in advance.

Beetlebat

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI AHU
I just finished my ignition switch replacement a few minutes ago. I had fun with the adapter/collar as well. I've heard there is a tool, but I couldn't find it. I used a galv. fence post clamp on mine and it worked for me.
I bought a 1 3/8" metal fence post clamp at Home Depot. (The adapter is actual 1 1/16" diameter). I was able to tighten the clamp around the adapter and it held nicely, did not slip over the lip. I used a three leg puller from AutoZone that they 'rent'(pay for it and get a refund when you return it). It still took me a while and several attempts but it finally came off. I did squirt some penetrating oil on the fitting to help loosen it, I don't know if this helped or not. It's a tight fit since it is a press fit only on the steering column, no splines.
Email me if you need more help on the fence clamp!
Good luck. After the adapter is off it's a piece of cake. Instead of drilling out the 'shear bolt' that secures the ignition housing on, I cut a screw driver slot with a Dremel cutting wheel. I removed and reused it since my local dealer doesn't even have one in stock.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Thanks for sharing your clever clamp Beetlebat!
I too rented the 3-legged "Posi-Lock" puller from Autozone.
I'll head off to Home-Depot tommorrow. If I need help, I'll email you.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

JIm

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Finally got the steering column adapter/collar off!
The 2 piece collar worked great. Just clamped it down behind the adapter land, amd attached the gear puller and with a little grunting, it pop'd off.

I used a 2 piece 1 1/16" clamp type shaft collar from www.mscdirect.com. They have 3 PN's. In increasing price they are:

The -0693 PN was $4.50 , plus shipping.

The attached picture shows the 4 relevent items.
On the top is the 'Posi-Lock' Gear puller from Autozone.
Lower left is the steering adapter/collar showing the tiny land /images/graemlins/frown.gif.
Lower middle is the 1 1/16" 2 piece shaft collar.
Lower right is the 1 3/8" fencing clamp.

Luckily, my shear bolt was loose, so I won't have to use an 'easyout' screw extractor, or cut a slot in it with a Dremel tool to get it out.

After this I should be able to remove the ignition switch assembly and unscrew the screw holding the contact assembly and put in the new contacts.

Email me at the address in my signature if you have questions, or want to borrow the 2 piece clamp.

Jim

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Does a faulty ignition switch cause the irritating moments in which you think your battery might be dead, except for the fact that it is NOT and all your electrical components work perfectly? I have experienced this in several occasions, but after a few tries of turning the key, the engine comes on and I'm on my way. However, tonight, I cannot get the engine to come on. All my indicator lights come on as normal except for the engine doing absolutely nothing!! I had to push my car into my garage.

Am I on the right track here with the ignition switch being the culprit??

Your direction on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Before condemning the ignition switch, ensure all grounds are clean and tight. You may have to remove the battery to do it right. Check connections at the starter as well.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Does a faulty ignition switch cause the irritating moments in which you think your battery might be dead, except for the fact that it is NOT and all your electrical components work perfectly? I have experienced this in several occasions, but after a few tries of turning the key, the engine comes on and I'm on my way. However, tonight, I cannot get the engine to come on. All my indicator lights come on as normal except for the engine doing absolutely nothing!! I had to push my car into my garage.

Am I on the right track here with the ignition switch being the culprit??

Your direction on this matter will be greatly appreciated!
If this is for your '99 Mk. 4, post in the A4 section

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Before condemning the ignition switch, ensure all grounds are clean and tight. You may have to remove the battery to do it right. Check connections at the starter as well.

Ok, I will try this! I have checked the battery terminals to make sure that they are making good contact but that made no difference. Although, I did get a click after a few attempts. Is this a clue?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Stupid question, but how's the battery? Sometimes the break quickly.
Check voltage, and check voltage when trying to crank.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
battery is good. i even tried jumping it but there is no indication that battery might be weak. when i turned the key, there was nothing going on in the engine other than the usual glow plugs, but no cranking at all. just as if the battery was dead, except for the fact that my radio and accessories all work, all lights come on, all chimes come on , etc. puzzling. gonna try the relay 109.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Probably not the 109 - it doesn't affect the starter.

Switch, cables, starter motor. You did check the voltage?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Probably not the 109 - it doesn't affect the starter.

Switch, cables, starter motor. You did check the voltage?
Weird thing is that earlier in the day when this issue first happened, i had problems starting it. What happened was that the battery clicked then the next try, it started. I guess I will get starter checked as well and batter voltage.