2001 TDI 200hp

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Nice numbers. I've never seen a dyno plot like that before. What's with the flat spot in HP after the torque peak around 3000 rpm? Is that something that can be tuned out, or is it a function of airflow?

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
not sure about the dyno plot, but i think it's probably an overcalclation of the torque, and the bhp is derived from the torque (BHP = LBFT X RPM / 5252) so in reality it would be less of a torque spike, and thus the power curve would smooth off a bit.
although it could be correct, i just don't know. alot of mappers over here always complain that is hard to smoothly map with one of these turbos and a 2.5" exhaust as they spool so quick, so i guess it could be.......

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
front and rear resprayed, rear end swapped to discrete tailpipes because there was too much soot on my rear!

bschlatt

TDI
golf, 2001, 225,000 miles
Silver

Put in on a set of KW coilovers and you wont have to slow down for the corners...

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
did you end up fitting the Mk5 fuel filter setup? I'm struggling to get one from anywhere but i'd like to know if it's worth messing around for??

Ryan

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Very nice, very clean and the HP and torque numbers are excellent. The only downside I can see is that your mechanic somehow swapped the steering wheel to the wrong side:D .

Great looking inside and out!

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
thanks for the comments!

yeah i fitted the Mk5 fuel filter, i can't say i noticed a difference though! i got it for a tenner in the end, and a new filter was 13 quid from GSF.

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
new map from RS tuning

and yes i know it has lower figures than the last map but that is probably because the previous dyno a hub dyno and the figures it produces are on the high side

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
hi bobby,

the smoke levels are ok IMO, if i stamp on it low down it belches black smoke, it i roll onto the accellerator (most of the time) then it's a grey haze that is quite hard to see unless it's in car headlights or certain light conditions. but at the minute it's quite dark in th daytime here and this is only what i can see from my rear veiw! it looks rediculous at night in car headlights that are behind me, but it's not really that visible otherwise. the back is not covered in soot anyway, and i think it smokes less than some maps i had with a GT1749Vb turbo so it's ok in my books.
it's also nice to drive, it has plenty of response low down and does not smoke loads or surge onto the power when i'm trundling around town which i have had for the last few months, which was probably down the the actuator being out of adjustment:rolleyes:

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
thanks! it is a 4 motion valence, and it was also on PD150's in europe as standard. i will be fitting an anniversary front valence in the new year though as i don't really like the 4mo style one, it looks a bit plain to me now...

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
heres a pic of it on my winter wheels, they are from a skoda octavia VRS. 17x7 ET38 with 202/50 tyres.

the 18" TSW wheels will be sold now i am looking for some BBS for springtime

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
That looks really odd for some reason with the wheels overlapped. Get the 18's on already! Winter's over! England doesn't really have a winter. Just a more dreary season. :)

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
got my new inlet manifold on now, and from first impressions it does seem to like to rev a bit more and feels like it has more pull higher up the rev range!
pictures:

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
i think it's a better design than the PD150 intake manifold. here are some recent pics after i fitted the new wheels:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Which coils did you get?
Why the need for spacers?
Those are my favorite MKIV rims. I think your overall setup looks very sharp! Almost inspires me to find some 20th AE lips. Intake mani looks good too. Plans to re-dyno soon?

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
i got weitec coilovers, i have removed them now because with it did not handle as well with them on. there was not enough height adjustment(too low) and the dampers were too soft which made it bouncy at higher speeds. i just swapped back to my eibach 30mm springs and bilstein dampers, IMO they are the perfect choice for "street". if you lower the front anymore than 30mm the wishbones are pointing up which is bad, it stresses the cv joints and track rods etc. and causes more understeer (unless you put the front setup from a TT/R32 which has cast wishbones/and bearing carriers with lower roll centres) . not to mention lack of bump travel from the firmer springs which just throw you about the road when you encounter some potholes or rough bits. also i could not get the rear end up high enough with the coils to promote any rake and keep the front pinned down so at high speeds it felt twitchy, and often the front end was lifting more often on accellertion, especially if i had anything in the boot because that would just give me reverse rake straight away and transfer alot of weight to the rear of the car.
and the only reason i even decided to go for coils was so i could set the ride height perfectly and have the car sitting level, just a bit lower so it looked better (i know:rolleyes:) but now i have realised good looks come at a price, and i'd take handling over looks anyday. i went out on an airstrip with the coilovers fitted and it really did corner flat and turn in really sharp, but brittish roads are not perfectly flat, infact far from it! there is millions of potholes now from the harsh winter that we are not used to and they are not getting filled in fast enough.

the spacers were just to widen the stance a bit, purely for looks. it brings the wheels flush with the arches. stance is all the rage nowadays, tuck is so last year, poke is for the low and slow gang and i am "flush":cool:

thanks for the compliment! i am happy with how the car looks now. can't beat the anniversary look IMO

plans to re dyno, since the intake manifold? it has already been done on the uk-tdi-dyno day, it made less power than previously but so did all the other cars. overall mine was the most powerful out of the 4 cars there with the same setup (hybrid 17, FMIC, PD130, mapping) i don't know wether the intake is down to that or not:confused:

here are he 2 graphs i got from the other weekend:

i'm not sure what the dyno operator was doing here, and why the power come in like that. it didn't on a few other runs but they were 1-2 hp less top end so they gave me this printout as it's the highest bhp.
and from another dyno on the same day:

i do want to get it re-dynoed somewhere else soon though, perhaps on a "known" dyno so i can compare what the intake manifold has done.

Last edited:

mrflashy

Veteran Member
TDI
Stage 2 Hybrid TDi and a couple of 24v VR6's for the noise
how hard does it pull after 4000rpm on the hybrid? mine starts to tail off as you can feel the torque drop and boost wind back.

What psi does the car spike to and settle at under normal rpm and then at 4000rpm onwards?