PA state inspection issue/ exhaust

WAYNEO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB
Have 2001 NB, live in Delaware County. Just failed state inspection, needs exhaust system repair. If I did a mufflerectomy that started behind my cat and used a straight pipe, would that pass inspection? Any suggestions where to get it done, or get work a passable system at a lower cost? My wallet is pretty lean these days. Got to do it soon.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
See if your state posts what is required to pass an inspection. See if "Muffler" is listed. Better yet, ask the guy that failed the car, because he probably will be the one who sees the car again.

--Nate

WAYNEO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB
There are no emission reqirements for passenger diesels in PA. The problem is determining how far from the cat will the state allow a weld to a new pipe. if that can be deterimed, may have a cheap fix. May also have to include a resonator. Muffler is meaningless as there is no noticable sound issues that would result in a fail.

saturnhacker

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 1996 Blue
if you are talking about removing the muffler that could be a problem with most inspection mechanics in PA, of course the code can sometimes be interpreted differently by different people.

pm sent

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
I performed a mufflerectomy years ago and had to find a state inspection mechanic who was a little more flexable... nobody else would pass it due to not having a muffler. The VW stealership offered to 'fix' my mufflerectomy for $700+. hahahahhah thanks but NO!

nathan_b

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 alh jetta/ 2002 alh jetta
I believe in PA a turbo is a legal "muffling device"

which it does, it chops up sound waves.