TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

Van Wylder

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta sedan 5 spd. 03 Jetta wagon 5 spd.
I also think that we are not be experiencing the same high prices that the People's Republic of California is having with gas/diesel prices (yet!). So we're probably not as sensitive as our western brethren...

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

it's an interesting question though just for fun...at what price would you cancel out? $7? $9? $15?

GasBuddy has saved me about 500 dollars over the last 4 years. 10-15 cent differences /gallon add up quickly, especially when I primarily drove a Volvo gasser.

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Are there raffles or anything you guys do to generate funds for the site?

I run a Discount Tire near the gtg and maybe we could setup some donations to go towards raffles.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We do a raffle and an auction every year to generate funds for the site. A donation would be fantastic!

Send us an email to tdifest @ TDIClub dot com. :)

TDI
2003 Jetta
Any of the group organizing this years fest let me know if I can help, Ypsi is right in my backyard. I'd love to help and meet fellow TDI'ers in my area!

I had a response in an earlier post from someone about this but I mistakenly deleted it, oops!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We'd love to have your help with this! I'll be in touch via PM in the future. In addition to needing help on-site at the event, we may ask you to be a local liaison with activity planning. :)

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
At the rate that I'm going, I might hit the 500,000 mile mark just before the 'Fest. I'm going to try like crazy to make it this year- may be a 500k party before the road trip?

-Rich

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Any idea yet of when we'll be allowed to register at the hotel and/or the Fest?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We're working on the event registration site right now... the hotel's registration is ready to go, but I figured we'd hold off and launch the two sites at the same time.

wbuschman

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (6 Spd. Manual)
TDI Newbie Here

Hey Everyone,

I don't actually have the TDI in my posession yet, but I've reserved one that the dealer says will arrive within the month so I'll have it in plenty of time for TDI Fest! Can't wait! It's only about 200 miles from me, so 1 tank should cover me there and back.

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio so if anyone is coming from East of Cleveland on Rt. 90 or Rt. 80 maybe we could meet up and convoy it. Not sure how many miles I'll have on the car by the end of August, though, so I may be driving back roads if I'm still in the break-in period..

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Don't worry, owning a TDI is optional. There are enough members with more than one to keep the 'average' up.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Hey Everyone,

I don't actually have the TDI in my posession yet, but I've reserved one that the dealer says will arrive within the month so I'll have it in plenty of time for TDI Fest! Can't wait! It's only about 200 miles from me, so 1 tank should cover me there and back.

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio so if anyone is coming from East of Cleveland on Rt. 90 or Rt. 80 maybe we could meet up and convoy it. Not sure how many miles I'll have on the car by the end of August, though, so I may be driving back roads if I'm still in the break-in period..
I'll be going up from the Toledo area. :) I'll follow along.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Only 15.5 hours and 900+ miles away! I'll probably see about 2- days each way unless the traffic is flowing. I've just done 2-trips to northern Maine (750+ miles each in 1 day and a trip to PA and another to VA in the last month) so maybe 900+ miles in a day would make more sense. Still need to check with the wife, but I suspect no one will miss me here for a few days.

I haven't attended a Fest since DC in '09. It would be great to see many old friends. Since a bunch of mods to the car it would be a great trip!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's not a bad one-day drive at all. Just bite the bullet and pay the tolls on the NYS Thruway. Better road, Starbucks in the rest areas. And you can cut through Canada if you want.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
It's not a bad one-day drive at all. Just bite the bullet and pay the tolls on the NYS Thruway. Better road, Starbucks in the rest areas. And you can cut through Canada if you want.
Sounds good! I just renewed my passport so I can cut through Canada. Maybe we can all meet at the Charleston rest area on I-90 and have a race from there.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I'm planning on this for my first TDIFest. Ypsi is close to my brother's house. I will be in a mini convoy with Rocketeer928. We might cause a double take or two on the ride - two identical looking rides blasting thru the Great White North.

I'm thinking of bring my 12yo son with me - how bored would he be? I guess I'll have to read thru some previous Fest threads to understand more of what to expect.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Sounds good! I just renewed my passport so I can cut through Canada. Maybe we can all meet at the Charleston rest area on I-90 and have a race from there.

Ummmmm While cutting through Canada may seem like a fun idea, fuel is more expensive up here :( ... At over $5 per gallon :(

Then it puts you on the "401" passing through Toronto, on a highway that is more congested than even the highways in LA, seriously... look it up...:eek:

If you still want to go through Canada, I'd love to meet up with you guys as you pass through Toronto on you way to the Fest...

MrVermin

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I'll be crossing Lewiston-Queenston (or Rainbow if traffic is better there) and driving 403 to 401. Is that interchange around Hamilton? We will be well south of TO :) If the bridge waits are not horrendous then going thru Canada is a couple hours quicker than the states. I love that I'll be able to do the entire round-trip (and do some extra driving) and still have plenty in the fuel tank when I return home.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I'll be crossing Lewiston-Queenston (or Rainbow if traffic is better there) and driving 403 to 401. Is that interchange around Hamilton? We will be well south of TO :) If the bridge waits are not horrendous then going thru Canada is a couple hours quicker than the states. I love that I'll be able to do the entire round-trip (and do some extra driving) and still have plenty in the fuel tank when I return home.
The Queenston/Lewiston bridge has been under construction for over two years now and the wait times coming into Canada can get rather ugly :(

If you are coming that way, best bet is take the 405 from the Queenston/Lewiston bridge to the QEW. then the QEW to "Red Hill Valley Parkway", that bypasses Hamilton and saves you some time. The "Red Hill Valley Parkway" becomes the "Lincoln M Alexander Parkway" and ends at the 403. Take the 403 west to the 401 and you have missed all the traffic.

Fun trip :cool:

Later, and see you there.

MrVermin

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'll be crossing Lewiston-Queenston (or Rainbow if traffic is better there) and driving 403 to 401. Is that interchange around Hamilton?
Hey! I've driven through Ontario on my way to Michigan several years ago with no problems at all. It's easy. Besides, my GPS works for all of North America, including The Great White North, so follow me and you won't go wrong. It will be weird to see to 2003 platinum grays going down the 403 and 401 together. Looking forward to it.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hey! I've driven through Ontario on my way to Michigan several years ago with no problems at all. It's easy. Besides, my GPS works for all of North America, including The Great White North, so follow me and you won't go wrong. It will be weird to see to 2003 platinum grays going down the 403 and 401 together. Looking forward to it.
LOL... On the QEW and 403/401 TDI's are common place. We get lines of them all the time... what's two more LOL:D

Let me know when you plan to pass through and I'll join up with you if the schedules mesh... :cool:

MrVermin

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Ummmmm While cutting through Canada may seem like a fun idea, fuel is more expensive up here :( ... At over $5 per gallon :(

Then it puts you on the "401" passing through Toronto, on a highway that is more congested than even the highways in LA, seriously... look it up...:eek:

If you still want to go through Canada, I'd love to meet up with you guys as you pass through Toronto on you way to the Fest...

MrVermin
My plan was to cross at Buffalo/Hamilton and come back through Detroit to avoid Cleveland. I can easily do that on a fill-up on the U.S. side.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
My plan was to cross at Buffalo/Hamilton and come back through Detroit to avoid Cleveland. I can easily do that on a fill-up on the U.S. side.
Not sure it really saves time depending on the lines at the borders...but Ohio is just soo boring to drive through...