A5 Jetta CR angst... replace with Passat??

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Sorry, this has probably been covered before... But here goes.

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI w/DSG that I absolutely love.

But the iced intercooler and the HPFP issues have me stressed, it doesn't appear that we will get a good solution to these issues.

I do have the VW platinum warranty to 100,000 miles, but to me it is not making sense to keep a car which appears to have major design issues.

So I'm thinking of replacing the Jetta with a new Passat SE TDI.

I'm not crazy about the bigger size and bigger turning radius though.

I love the light and nimble feel of the Jetta, is this significantly diminished in the Passat?

I suppose I should go for a test drive.

Comments, please??

Thanks!
Jason

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
You've got time to think it over, so no need to rush. I've never had hard start trouble with my Jetta, here in the Boston area. Unless you've had starting difficulties, I would't dump the car too hastily. Also, the hpfp issue is still an issue that affects a small percentage of CRs. Try to run 2% BD or use a lubricity additive consistently. You also have extended coverage and more time to enjoy your still new car. If you want a new Jetta or Passat in the future, I'd wait until the Jetta gets "refreshed" with some of the higher end components (2013?) and the Passat has been around for another model year or two. Just my 2 cents.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
You'll be throwing away a lot of dough if trading the TDI... from that perspective I wouldn't make the jump.

Also keep in mind there's a fix for the intercooler, and many are getting it covered under warranty. As for the HPFP, fuel additive is cheap insurance. If you're really stressed over the HPFP, then check your fuel filter for signs of metal as part of every oil change. Similarly, those of us with BRM motors are pulling the valve cover on a regular basis to check cam wear.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I went from a 2010 MKV Jetta TDI sedan 6 speed manual to a 2012 DSG Passat TDI and haven't looked back. I do admit the Passat does drive different but I drive a lot on the open road and the road manners and larger size is a huge plus for me. The turning radius isn't that much different IMO. I have a tight turn to get into the carport that has me cut the wheel sharply upon entry and I haven't had to adjust any with the Passat. If you like the Passat, do it!! However dont get scared away from the MKV if you like it. I had zero issues in my ownership of one and traded at 52k miles.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
No hard start troubles here, and I do agree that additives should help the HPFP. I think the issue is not only the low lubricity of the ULSD, but also rust, water, and general fuel system cleanliness...

I really enjoy my MKV CR Jetta, I will hang on to it for now, thanks for all the responses!

Jason