MK4 golf tdi Cold starting problems

doland

TDI
golf mk4 tdi pd 115
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly help me out, iv done some searches but havent found much luck with things to try ! :(

Iv got a MK4 golf 1.9 TDI PD 115 engine but keep have issues starting the car when its cold. If i turn the key for a second to turn it over then turn it off and then back on again it will start within 4-5 seconds, whereas if i turn the key from start it keep turning over and wont start at all.

I have plugged a code reader into the car and it came up with error code - 17978 and 16705

I have given the car a full service - glow plugs, fuel filter, oil, air filter, oil filter, as i read in places it could be the plugs or fuel filter still no luck.

I believe one of the fault codes is to do with the cam shaft position sensor located next to the cam belt, which i have changed, it got better for a few days then went back to normal.

Since then i have ran out of idea ! if anyone has any advice i would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Try searching for "hard start" "cold start" and "glowplug" or try searching using the error code numbers.

There's a lot written about this and it probably is related to your glowplug harness or the connection of the harness to the glowplugs.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
You can also check out the coolant temp sensor. If its faulty it won't cycle the GPs for as long as it should. Common failure on the ALH/VE MKIV's, not sure about your model. The GP indicator lamp isn't neccessarily an indicator of how long they are cycling on.

LLJ85

TDI
2001 Jetta 5-spd
I have an 01 that would not start - "shifting into reverse kills engine".
This is what I ended up doing. Get a volt meter, with the key on test the voltage at each fuse and wright it down. I found several with less than 12 volts. Got a wiring diagram for circuits and see what they have in common. Mine was the ignition switch. Replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch and it has been running fine since. Problem was where the mechanical and electrical part of the ignition switch go togather was worn and I believe the was not making full contact, because it was not turning completely, and not getting full power so it would not start.