Trouble Remove Transmission on 05 TDI

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Hello, I am right in the middle of swapping my 09A automatic for an 02J 5 speed manual. I have run into a bit of a hurdle while trying to get the auto out of the car. It seems that I don't have enough room to remove the transmission to engine bolts, as my triple square socket seems to be taking up most of the space. I feel like a total goof since I am assuming this should be easy since all any of the instructions say is "remove engine to trans bolts" and that's it. I have included some photos so that hopefully I can get some insight as to what other tool I need or how I should go about getting these things out.

Also, while removing my dogbone mount, I noticed that one of the bolt heads in the subframe was broken off leaving only a rusted stud. Well that took me an hour to get off, and now I just have the stud taunting me. What would be the best course of action to remove it? I would prefer not to helicoil if I can help it.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Last first: For the busted off bolt on for the dogbone mount I would soak in PB Blaster for a couple of days (douse it a couple of times a day) and after the first dousing, I would take a BFH (a big hammer) and hit the top of the busted bolt a few times, as if driving a nail. The idea is to loosen the threads. Don't his so hard as to damage the threads. soak in PB Blaster after hammering. After soaking and tappping, take a big pair of vice grips or a pipe wrhench and turn the bolt bit out. It will come out.

For the auto transaxle tripple squares, '05 was a split model year, with both the A4 and A5 offered. Which is yours? I suspect the shop manual will state to use a special purpose VW tool to get to them. If you had a tripple square that would accept a wrench you'd be in business. I can check my Bentley tonight and see if any special tool is called for. I have two bentleys--One for the A4 and one for the A5.

A couple of them look like you could use a 1/2 inch drive universal joint on a long extension with your tripple square bit. The other two, no way.

--Nate

Last edited:

JamesRZR1

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS
For trans axle triple squares I used and 1/2 wrench with a triple square bit cut down, to give me some room. As for the broken stud, as PDJetta stated soak it with PB Blaster for a day, the stuff doesn't work instantly, and if you have a torch heat the hell out of it and then use the vice grips to break it free.

HTH

James.

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Thanks for the help, I also ordered a set of stubby triple square bits off amazon, so hopefully I will be able to get these things out with some help from swivels and other parts. I will also look into the socket cap set, I know I could have used those in other jobs, so maybe I will pick those up regardless. Oh and my car is an A4, jetta wagon.

I already started soaking that bolt, but I am going to wait til the transmission is out of the way regardless to try and pull it.

THANKS!

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Last first: For the busted off bolt on for the dogbone mount I would soak in PB Blaster for a couple of days (douse it a couple of times a day)...
--Nate
I'd recommend Kroil. It's super industrial and they "say" frozen lug nuts will "fall off"....ok sounds like an exaggeration, but it is the best I've used in penetrating oil. It’s “Twice as good as JB80” and “Four times better than WD40”. :)

grubyuppie

TDI
01 NB ALH 5sp M/T
What tool or combination of tools did you end up using to get out the 2 bolts on top of the auto tranny. Is that triple square bolt a 14mm? I've been looking for a universal joint triple square socket to fit in that tight space. Where did you buy yours?

thanks

Last edited:

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I bought a set of shorty triple square bits from amazon.com. They were dramatically shorter (.75-1") than the normal sockets. Those and a wobble extension was all that I needed.