Remote touching chin-- yanking my chain?

treedweller

TDI
02 NB, platinum gray
Awhile back someone started a thread about getting better range from the keyless entry by touching it to their chin while pushing the button. Others agreed it was a known phenomenon in other brands, too.

So I've done lots of experiments with the remote on my chin and not, and I've seen no evidence that this works. Were you guys just trying to make newbies look like fools walking around the parking lot with their keys on their chins?

Or is it my technique? or maybe my specific remote?
One thing I have noticed is a surprising variation in the range from one day to the next, regardless of whether any part of my body other than my hand is touching it.

just curious,
Keith

Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Sportwagon TDI
It works for me. If I'm too far away from the car for the remote to work (say 30 m/100 feet or so), I touch the keyfob just under my chin (on the soft fleshy area between my neck and the tip of my chin), and voila, all of the sudden my car will beep.

I don't know why this trick extends the range of the remote, and to tell you the truth it kind of scares me, but it does work for me.

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Try putting the remote against your temple!

Not sure about the effects of this on your brain but it ain't never done me no nothing harmfull less... I think I'm surely not even worth a clueless?

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
It helps with my car, I will safely say it doubles the range. Normally my fob will only work from maybe 20 feet, if I touch it to my chin it goes to about 40-45 feet.

The procedure I use to is to have the key folded and hold the end of the remote (where key flips out) against my chin. Works every time.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
I've had much less luck with the Mk4 fob. My Mk3 fob gets 150+ foot range with the chin trick.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Early on, some of us 'old' members did tests on this. We decided that putting it to your chin raised it up higher. This was found to be the reason it works better. I walk around with my arm extended straight up. I REALLY look funny...

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
The receiving antenna is above the hood level (I think it's in the ECU), so putting the remote in direct line with it increases the range. It's really evident when you're trying to open the trunk from a distance (or with a weak battery).

For maximum range, put the remote against the end of your nose.