Parking Brake cables

atmarine

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Golf 5 speed
Recently with the cold weather I have been suffering with frozen E-brake cable on the passenger side.

I have replaced my parking brake cables about 20K ago. They are in good shape, and the boot end is intact with no rips, cuts, etc. I have popped off the cable from the caliper to confirm it is the cable and not a sticky e-brake lever on the caliper.

Is there anything I can do from here, or replace them again?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
ID-Parts has helper springs to retract the e-brake arm.
Did you get the new heavier e-brake cables and hardware?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'll second the helper springs for the MK4 cars.

I just did this job last week, on a friend's car, that had new cables on it 6 months ago.
Adding the helper springs (unfortunately sourced from a local dealer, due to shipping time) did fix the issue, and he's had no frozen brakes since.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Had the same issue but didn't catch it in time. My parking brake was half engaged on one side and wore the pads to the metal, also trashed the caliper in the process. Unhooked it for now but might have to look into the heavy duty solution as well.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Had the same issue but didn't catch it in time. My parking brake was half engaged on one side and wore the pads to the metal, also trashed the caliper in the process. Unhooked it for now but might have to look into the heavy duty solution as well.
It was one of the easiest upgrades I've done. :)
The rear pads on my Tiguan were froze in the slides and wiped out in 30K miles. :(
Front brakes are like new.