DIY Oil Change

JARED_LA

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
This is my first car and in the past I have always changed my own oil in my trucks. What are you guys doing to change your oil? Top side or bottom? If bottom, how are you lifting the car, with ramps, etc and are you lifting all four tires. If top side, what do you recommend for an extractor?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Top extraction with a pela 6000 pump is my preferred method.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I dump mine at WalMart or any of the Jiffy places. Seems like there was some legislation that required them to accept used oil from anyone. I don't know if it was only local/state/national though.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
waste oil

Around here, alot of the shops use waste oil for heating and they are more than glad to take my used oil!:)

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
^ YUP! My buddy uses a waste oil heater at his shop. Neat!

P.S. I'm currently 6 years down in the brown truck ;)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I've done my own 10K and 20K changes on the NMS. At 10K I pulled the plug first and went topside with my Pela to see what was left. I can tell you you're not going to get much more than a couple of ounces (if that) out of the filter housing and pan. I decided to go bottom side only on the 20K.

I experimented the other way around several years ago with my Golf. I did topside first, putting the Pela tube all the way to the pan, then getting everything I could out of the filter housing and cooler. After I got every bit I could, I then dropped the plug. I'd say 1/3 quart was left.

So, IMHO, if you have to pick one, go bottom side for maximum oil removal. Why fight gravity? :p

Regarding oil disposal, Delaware has free oil collection stations at the many recycling centers all over the state. Free service (well, after your tax money pays for it of course).

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Here in IL, anyplace selling motor oil has facilities for collecting it (and this may be the law). All I do is take my used oil jug in and they have a tank in back at Auto Zone, Advance, or O'Reilly. Sometimes you have to take it back and empty it yourself (take paper towels or rags!) and sometimes they do it for you. Their attitude tends to be better if you buy your new oil there.