Memory seat not working

BryanP

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
We picked the new car up last week. The sellperson told us the menory seat are not working, and that they did not do the proper input during the PDI.
Is there anyway I can do this.
I am 6'4" and my wife is 5'6"
The powered seat work, just you can not progam the memory into one of the three settings.
Thanks

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Here's how to turn the memory seat on:

1) Pull the seat all the way forward
2) Tilt the seat all the way forward
3) Tilt the seatback all the way forward

It still amazes me that VW dealers don't know how to do this.

BryanP

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
DRbillZ said:
Here's how to turn the memory seat on:

1) Pull the seat all the way forward
2) Tilt the seat all the way forward
3) Tilt the seatback all the way forward

It still amazes me that VW dealers don't know how to do this.
Thanks DRbillZ
I now have my memory seats working

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
:D

About once a month, I see one of these "Memory seats not working - damn dealer - cram the seat fully forward" threads.

That's about 4 of them so far since I joined TDiclub.com, including the one I posted...:eek:

BryanP

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
one more seat memory question

I pulled the seat all the way forward
I tlted the seat all the way forward
I tilted the seatback all the way forward

The memory is working except the up and down part of the memory is not.
Did I do something wrong?

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
YOu have to hold the memory position button down until you reach the position you set. If you let up until you reach it the seat wil stop where it is at that moment.

BryanP

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
memory seat still not working

Hi DRbillZ
I hold the preset button till it stop, but it will not return to the up or down position that I have it set at

Last edited:

HEMIHD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta PD TDI
Why would this be a dealer problem. If the memory function is installed as part of the package in the factory, shouldn't it also be turned on there? I can't think of a reason that shipping would require this funtion to be disabled.

BryanP

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Off to see the dealer

The seat is still not rembering the up and down position, so I am off to see the dealer on Sat.
Thanks

Jeff Whip

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I picked up my 2006 Jetta TDI pkg 2 two weeks ago and have not been able to figure out how to get the memory seats to work. Now they work fine. Dealer forgot to turn them on. Is there any way to get the mirrors to work in conjunction with the seats?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All the newer Volkswagens, even my '04 Passat, come from the factory in "sleep mode". The CAN is dormant, as are many other functions, and they need to be turned on. This is done primarily to prevent battery drainage until the car is sold and [presumably] in daily use.

The VAG-COM will allow you to put the car back to sleep, which is something I would recommend if you know the car is not going to be driven for over a month or so.

The seat controller has adaptive learning, just like most anything else on the car, and once it is awake, it needs to know where the ends of its positions are. Otherwise the memory will not work. The auto up/down functions on the windows, sunroof, and even some other things need to be enabled during PDI too. This is common, most manufacturers are like this, it isn't just Volkswagen. Just so happens that many techs are too lazy or too dumb to go through the PDI procedure and be sure and get everything working the way it is supposed to. And also, the salesperson is supposed to go over all of those features at delivery, to triple check to make sure everything is working as designed.

Some other things that sometimes do not get checked: spare tire pressure (all 5 tires are overinflated and need to be adjusted, the spare often gets skipped), proper test drive (for Volkswagen I think it is 2 miles), moveable headlight initialization and aim check, washer fluid top-off, DTC memory check/purge, damage to undercarriage (from sloppy transports), and making sure the radio station presets are at least set to some stations and working normally.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
HEMIHD said:
Why would this be a dealer problem. If the memory function is installed as part of the package in the factory, shouldn't it also be turned on there? I can't think of a reason that shipping would require this funtion to be disabled.
It relates to "Read the Owner's Manual"

tkbalt

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf (DSG) and 2013 Passat SEL (DSG) TDI's
Thanks - just picked up our Jetta this week and could not figure out why this did not function. Saved me a call to the dealer - thanks

tfink

TDI
2006 1/2 Jetta TDI Package 2
I just picked up my 2006.5 Jetta TDI last weekend and had trouble with the seat memory. Thinking it was broken, I took it into the dealership to get fixed. They had my car in the service bay for 3 hours. While they were working on it, it occured to me to look here. I found the solution in this thread called the service manager over so he could read it. He went back into the service area, pretty soon the tech came out to read the post. He disapeared back in the service area, and about 10 minutes later the service manager came out and said that it worked. Amazing! I learned a little something here... check this site before going into the dealership for service.:eek:

Thanks all for the information. :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
And let that be a lesson to you too! :)

I will come here for the collected knowledge first, then go to the dealer armed with knowledge. I have learned alot here!

wattnxt

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
AMEN to doing it yourself!! I just picked up my 06 Jetta yesterday, and was getting the seats set. They wouldn't work. Formerly owning an '02 TDI, I looked here before calling the dimwits at the dealerships in my area.

I had a bit of trouble with getting it to take, but here's what I did to get it to work in case others have the same issue. PS, EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY NOW!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!

Ok...

1 Move seat to full forward position
2 Move front edge of seat all the way down
3 Tip Seat-back all the way forward
(Here's where mine varied a little bit as it didn't take at first)
4 Move seat to full forward position again (mine moved a half-inch after the other adjustments were made)
5 Move front edge of seat all the way down
6 Tip the seat-back all the way forward

4, 5, and 6 need to be done within 10 seconds of each other. Probably why mine didn't work the first time, as I set my seat way back and leaned back. Not sure why but getting everything "in position" then going through the motions again did it.

I got a tripple "ding" when I finished step 6.

Hope this helps others as much as it helped me. I was one step away from the scene below, I'm sure of it.

Thanks again, and good luck.

Jay

tfink said:
I just picked up my 2006.5 Jetta TDI last weekend and had trouble with the seat memory. Thinking it was broken, I took it into the dealership to get fixed. They had my car in the service bay for 3 hours. While they were working on it, it occured to me to look here. I found the solution in this thread called the service manager over so he could read it. He went back into the service area, pretty soon the tech came out to read the post. He disapeared back in the service area, and about 10 minutes later the service manager came out and said that it worked. Amazing! I learned a little something here... check this site before going into the dealership for service.:eek:

Thanks all for the information. :)

TDI
2000 Jetta
Anyone have their seats go all the way to the lowest, rear-most position suddenly without pushing any buttons while driving? Mine has done it a dozen times. Anyone have any thoughts?

2006 jetta tdi - lemon, POS

wattnxt

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
Not here, but you're in the right place to find out if others have. Try a couple searches. The search engine here is getting better, but needs some coaxing to get the exact results your looking for. don't get discouraged, plenty of info here...Keep posting.

And if you get sick of the TDI, I'll step up when you're looking to sell...depending on color/options/etc....

good luck.

jay

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
trevor.storey@rogers.com said:
Anyone have their seats go all the way to the lowest, rear-most position suddenly without pushing any buttons while driving? Mine has done it a dozen times. Anyone have any thoughts?
2006 jetta tdi - lemon, POS
YES!! I've had mine go nuts a few times. Took it to the dealer as it was under warranty. At the same time I began to experience battery drain. If I left the car for more than 48 hours the battery would be nearly dead and wouldn't start the car.

The dealer replaced the seat control module and sent me merrily on my way. Previously I watched the seat several times on its own after I got out of the car . Since the new module I believe this has stopped, but I really don't know for sure.

Yesterday with the help of a friend we found that the car drew 25 MA (milliamps) after 15 minutes of having the key pulled and the doors shut. Initially there was a big (5+ amp) draw but this went down as the car went to sleep. But at the end of 15 minutes the car still drew 25 MA. Although this sounds like a small amount, over a period of a couple of days it kills the battery.

We found that by removing the 50 amp fuse (SB29) in Box E (under the hood by the battery) that the draw on the battery dropped to zero (0) amps.
Unfortunately on the 2006.5 cars this also stops the sun roof from functioning.

I need to contact the dealer and ask if they are willing to deal with the car (it went out of warranty just after they replaced the seat control module). If not I may install a switch under the seat to break the circuit as I only need to move the seat occasionally.

If you're still under warranty you may want to check the seat controller and have it replaced.

Steve

andrewvanh

TDI
Jetta 2006 PD (A Tree Killed It), 2019 Ram Ecodiesel
Hate to bring this one back from the dead, but on my 2006 the memory seat just stopped working. None of the buttons move the seats and the set button doesn't seem to do anything. I have tried the above documented reset procedure with no luck. Any suggestions.

wattnxt

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
Do you have a VAG-COM? or have someone nearby who can scan it?

Sometimes that will point you in the right direction with way less head-scratching.

Just a thought.
Check fuses.....I know it sounds dumb, but stranger things have happened. Check all the connectors under the seat too. Some of the 06 models had an issue with one of the motor connections staying together while the pin fell out of the molex connector.

Keep us posted.

andrewvanh

TDI
Jetta 2006 PD (A Tree Killed It), 2019 Ram Ecodiesel
Finally found it. When they assembled the car, they pinched the wire for that button assembly under one of the plastic clips. I guess it took about 5 years for it to wear through finally. So I repaired all 4 of the wires to be safe, and all is good.

Never did find what to look at on vag com to see info on the seat. Some of those modules are just too well hidden.

biker1Jerry

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Has anyone replaced the Stat Memory Switch on a 2006 Jetta TDI ..If so I need to replace and need the part number I have ask V/W dealer and they say bring it in.I will do more checking on the "How to do the replacement"
Thanks jerry

Nushala

TDI
Skoda 2.0.190CP
At mine don't work at firs because there was an important step to do after all previous steps. Remember to adjust also lombar support button. Only after that it works at my seat.

Freddielein

TDI
Skoda Superb
AMEN to doing it yourself!! I just picked up my 06 Jetta yesterday, and was getting the seats set. They wouldn't work. Formerly owning an '02 TDI, I looked here before calling the dimwits at the dealerships in my area.

I had a bit of trouble with getting it to take, but here's what I did to get it to work in case others have the same issue. PS, EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY NOW!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!

Ok...

4 Move seat to full forward position again (mine moved a half-inch after the other adjustments were made)
5 Move front edge of seat all the way down
6 Tip the seat-back all the way forward

4, 5, and 6 need to be done within 10 seconds of each other. Probably why mine didn't work the first time, as I set my seat way back and leaned back. Not sure why but getting everything "in position" then going through the motions again did it.

I got a tripple "ding" when I finished step 6.

Hope this helps others as much as it helped me. I was one step away from the scene below, I'm sure of it.

Thanks again, and good luck.

Jay
Hello,
I tried and tried but it will not work..
is there someting wrong in the sequence ?
And are there any other requirements like ignition on or off., motor running , door cklosed or open ?

4 Move seat to full forward position again (mine moved a half-inch after the other adjustments were made)<-- mine did so
5 Move front edge of seat all the way down <--it is down already
6 Tip the seat-back all the way forward <--- it is forward already