odometer roll back?

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
A family member looked at a used 06 tdi jetta that i referred him to and during our discussion we noticed differences in the odometer from when i originally looked at the car.Is it possible to turn a digital odometer back?Or did i just make a error from the original inspection.

chris

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I know it is VERY easy to do on the older cars with the right tools. Not sure about the new generation of clusters, though.

-Jason

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
The controllers store the Miles/Kilometers to within 10miles/16 Kilometers.
Replacing the display, properly, the tech would invoke that memory and get the new OD close to original.

Replacing the display improperly (illegally) you could possibly get any numbers you wanted.
The original miles on the car should still be stored in one of the controllers.

dschein

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Tim Birney said:
The controllers store the Miles/Kilometers to within 10miles/16 Kilometers.
Replacing the display, properly, the tech would invoke that memory and get the new OD close to original.

Replacing the display improperly (illegally) you could possibly get any numbers you wanted.
The original miles on the car should still be stored in one of the controllers.
Vag-Com does have a option to display the miles logged - check under applications.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
It's possible but only if you have the right electronic tools. I'd like to think that they are not that common.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
dschein said:
Vag-Com does have a option to display the miles logged - check under applications.
Not applicable for an '06.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Yes, you can read the current mileage via Vag-com on the A5's and is in kilometers stored in the ECU. The cluster could be changed but, the ecu would give it's true mileage away. The ecu would have to be changed (new one) in order to pull this off and I need not tell you how cost prohibitive that would be, right? There was a Vag-Dash unit awhile back that was able to change the cluster mileage on the A4's and was forced from the market by the power's to be in Europe. Not sure if this unit would have worked on the A5's. Anyway you slice it, it's a felony, if caught. So rest assured, I doubt many would have the capability of performing such a task. Later!

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
2004STARWARSTDI said:
According to VagCom web site the odometer can NOT be rolled back!
On the ALH's, the odometer can be rolled foward via Vag-com if the cluster has <100 miles. I don't know if you could go down from 100 to say, 25. Example being if you purchased a new or rebuilt cluster, you can set the mileage/kilometers forward to any number one time and one time only. I don't know if this is applicable with the PD's from 04 to present. The Vag-dash unit I am referring to above was a unit out of Germany and it was able to change cluster mileage, retrieve key codes, etc. The authorities put a stop to the mileage changing capabilities of the unit and they are no longer able to perform such a task.

BTW, May I respectfully ask how you achieved 54 mpg with an 04 tip auto? Later!

Last edited: