1999 EuroVan WINNEBAGO VR6 to TDI - Companies that will do the conversion?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Half the power (200+ vs. 90), more weight (twice perhaps?), greater frontal area and a higher Cd (twice the air drag?). Don't expect to have fuel economy pay off the conversion cost any time soon.
That TDI engine will be operating at 9/10 or greater far too often to be economical.

ramdmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
There are a few options available, the 2.5 TDI 5 cyl from europe, available in the T4 from 102-151HP. It's a variation of the 4 cyl TDI motors available in our North American VAG cars, with an added cylinder. I know one guy in Brighton, Ontario that's importing these motors from Poland and performing conversions at a decent price. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his phone #. It's not cheap, but all are low mileage <60Kkms and these are german built motors capable of 500K kms.
I'm currently exploring this option for my Transporter.
Hope this helps.
RC

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
ramdmc said:
There are a few options available, the 2.5 TDI 5 cyl from europe, available in the T4 from 102-151HP. It's a variation of the 4 cyl TDI motors available in our North American VAG cars, with an added cylinder. I know one guy in Brighton, Ontario that's importing these motors from Poland and performing conversions at a decent price. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his phone #. It's not cheap, in the 5-7K range, but all are low mileage <60Kkms and these are german built motors capable of 500K kms.
I'm currently exploring this option for my Transporter.
Hope this helps.
RC
That is downright cheap for a conversion complete with labor. But I suspect Lug_Nut is correct, except you will probably never recover the cost of such a conversion in fuel savings alone. I'd also explore a 3.2 or 3.6 Vr6 conversion, bigger higher horespower motors are often a bit more fuel efficient with proper right foot management.

Last edited: