Towing

blackdogtdi

TDI
2011 Golf
I've looked through countless threads it feels like and I'm still fairly unsure about the topic.

I'm looking to get a hitch to pull a small trailer with a motorcycle across the country. It looks like Curt is what would be easiest to get and install, however, they only have a product for the Sportwagen gas car, whereas I have a manual Golf (TDI obviously).

Are there any others that are quick / easy to obtain?

Do rear springs (or any other components) need to be stiffened/upgraded/required to be added?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

blackdogtdi

TDI
2011 Golf
Thanks for responses! Looking at the ecohitch, it only shows Jetta or Tiguan...I could be wrong, but aren’t those both wider than a non-sportwagen golf?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Rear towing springs are fantastic when towing, but my ride quality is $#it when I'm not towing. Thankfully, changing rear springs really only requires 2 hydraulic jacks and maybe 20 minutes of my time tops.

If you want to tow legally, you're going to need trailer lighting. AFAIK, the only solution is a trailer module that plugs into the CAN bus, and mine was over $300 shipped from PF Jones in the UK. You might be able to get something cheaper; I don't know for certain. This was programmed via VCDS, and allows me to get a brake output signal for my Tekonsha brake controller.

As for hitches, I think Drawtite and Curt have options, but I wouldn't ever use one of those. I use a Bosal hitch, but sadly, IDparts stopped carrying them, so you'd need to import it from overseas.

I probably have close to 100K miles towing with mk4 and mk6 TDIs, so I speak from experience, and I've towed anywhere from my first trailer (5x10 single axle) up to a 83" x 20 Big Tex tandem axle (yes, it works, even on DSG, but it's not ideal).My regular trailer is a 5x14 tandem and a 5x10 single aluminum livestock trailer.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
and I've towed anywhere from my first trailer (5x10 single axle) up to a 83" x 20 Big Tex tandem axle (yes, it works, even on DSG, but it's not ideal).My regular trailer is a 5x14 tandem and a 5x10 single aluminum livestock trailer.
EEEHAW that's some real towing. Kinda reminds me of a pumped Pinto I tow dollied a 79' Trans Am and a 78 VW pop top bus

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I personally found the Tiguan+Towing springs improved the ride, but offer two caveats. 1) The springs were paired with Bilstein Touring shocks/struts and 2) the OEM suspension had 200k miles (320k km) and were toast.

Not doubting pkhoury, just a different experience or data point. Our roads could be much worse up here too, lots of frost heaves from long winters.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
An update for me - I ditched the towing springs on both the JSW and my 2002 Golf. My ride quality kinda sucked, and it's so much better with Neuspeed sofsport in the rear on the 2002 Golf. Uncompressed, there's about a 2 inch difference, and compressed, it appeared to be about a 3/4" difference Even with me standing on the tongue of an otherwise balanced trailer, the rear didn't sag that much.