How Hot are TDIs? The Stealership Wants to Buy Mine!

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Nothing unusual there, but I cant believe they want an 11-year old car with almost 250K miles on it. Apparently TDIs are on their "hot list" and they want to offer me a premium over "Magnum Auction" price. Even if I were to sell, I could probably do better than an auction. Sigh...

My response? "From my cold, dead hands!" :D This car will not leave my possession until it gets wrecked or until it becomes far more to maintain than to take on a car loan.

But, it's nice to know she is still wanted :p

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Did you get a letter in the mail, or an actual offer after visiting them?

I think the letter is just a way to entice you into the showroom. No dealer is going to put an 11 yr old car on their lot unless it's got only 40,000 miles on it and looks brand new. Even then they might pass.

VW marketing just made you feel good about your car .... a portion of their mission has been accomplished!;)

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Did you get a letter in the mail, or an actual offer after visiting them?

I think the letter is just a way to entice you into the showroom. No dealer is going to put an 11 yr old car on their lot unless it's got only 40,000 miles on it and looks brand new. Even then they might pass.

VW marketing just made you feel good about your car .... a portion of their mission has been accomplished!;)
Ha! Fair enough. The stealership in question has a particularly nasty reputation and I refuse to deal with them on any level. But yes, it did reinforce my commitment to my current VW. My next one, should it exist, would likely come from Langhorne or another dealership with a willing and eager internet department.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
No, it's not wanted, but their stockpile of cars is even less wanted.
Try to sell yours without taking one of theirs and you'll learn how little it's really worth to them.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
i don't know about that. the dealership near me has been selling jettas, passats and beetles like hotcakes. not sure about the SUV stuff though.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Its a rather new marketing trick that all the dealers have been doing in the past few years,

"We are getting such a high demand for your used car (or we have no new cars left) That we are offering you a huge sum of $ if you buy a new car from us!!"

Fakety Fake Fake Fake!!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
We have the lowest prices and will give you more for your trade- bad credit, no credit, upside down- no problem! Car dealers are oxymoronic.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Yeah. I visited my local dealer a few years ago and the salesman seems eager to accept it as a trade. "I can sell that for $7000," he said. This was when gas was about $4.50/gal. I've been looking at the GTI and Beetle Turbo. But I recently saw their 0-60 and 1/4-mile times. To my surprise, my TDI is faster by a narrow margin. And, of course, more economical. So I'll hold off on making a new car purchase even longer than I thought. ;)

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
Two techniques have been tried on me. First, "I will give you what you paid for your Jetta as trade in because the TDIs are in such high demand." Sure he will. He will also charge maximum full bore for the new or used gasser you get in exchange. No thanks.

The next one I got yesterday. The Chevrolet/Buick dealer will give me full MSRP for any 2000 or newer vehicle I trade in for a new car at their lot. Pretty good, right? Finally of course there are the usual conditions, such as being in good repair......and subtracting 35 to 75 cents per mile. I have 123,000 miles on my Jetta. That means they will subtract at least $ 43,050 from the about $ 23,000 MSRP when I bought it.

But, whatever gets the suckers onto the lot so they can be convinced life is not worth living without a new car.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
You are in their records as a TDI owner and were part of a mass mailing to all TDI owners (of record).

I get one every year from every VW dealer I have ever bought a TDI from...

Bill