Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

habsfan

TDI
mkvii sportwagon
It doesn't impact your choice as long as you get it done before the claims process formally starts. . If you have this fix done after the claim process has started (late March) then you will no longer be eligible for the buy back (see paragraph 4.7.4.2.of the agreement). I bet some will be trapped by this, so be careful.
I agree with your observation that some or many will be 'trapped' by not appreciating the 'legal snare'.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It is true that it is speculation that there will not be a fix for Gen 1 cars. But if there is not ever a fix, what do you suppose the letter will say?
I don't think even Wynn knows at the very moment what such letter in a future would say,

My guess, they would let is slide, because forcing people into a buyback will open them to lawsuits. Also, how many Gen 1 people who want to keep their vehicle are we talking about? The lower the number the more likely they will let it slide. I think majority of Gen 1 will grab the deal, since their loans are paid off and most have developed some reliability issues which make the decision pretty easy.

So, to answer your crystal ball question ... I don't think there ever will be a letter from government to the remaining Gen 1 owners who want to keep their cars even if there's no fix available.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
So, to answer your crystal ball question ... I don't think there ever will be a letter from government to the remaining Gen 1 owners who want to keep their cars even if there's no fix available.
So just to be clear, you think that I will be able to register my Gen 1 car forever? That would make me very happy. I would get $5100 that I could use to make repairs to it in the future, and I could continue with my plan to drive the car into the ground over a 15 year ownership period.

But what you are saying is that you think the government will wilfully ignore its own laws. As someone who once received a 5 km/h-over speeding ticket on the last day of a month, I don't think it works like that.

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
So just to be clear, you think that I will be able to register my Gen 1 car forever? That would make me very happy. I would get $5100 that I could use to make repairs to it in the future, and I could continue with my plan to drive the car into the ground over a 15 year ownership period.

But what you are saying is that you think the government will wilfully ignore its own laws. As someone who once received a 5 km/h-over speeding ticket on the last day of a month, I don't think it works like that.
as per your earlier quote

Nonsense. I am violating the law every time I drive it - look it up. It is just that the government is not enforcing that law right now because it is waiting on developments related to fixes.

Make no mistake, every affected TDI owner who drives his car is in violation of provincial law. Right now, today..
it would appear they already are willfully ignoring their own laws

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf

I am not following you anymore. If there is no fix for your Gen1 car, you can't get it fixed and you don't get the $5100 for a fix.

You need to look at the politics, not just your sacred regulations. Regulations that are written can be modified or waivers can be granted.

There is clearly going to be a waiver on those regulations due to the fact that the fix will not bring the NOX emmissions fully into compliance (even you agreed with that a few messages back.) I agree with mxs that it's not a stretch to imaging there will also be a waiver for those that don't get their car fixed, especially if there is no fix.

But, for those that don't get the fix, even if its because none is offered, there will be no $5100.

Last edited:

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
as per your earlier quote
it would appear they already are willfully ignoring their own laws
Not really. They are temporarily not enforcing them until more is known about fixes, that's all. They can't do that forever. It is the function of the enforcement branch of the government to enforce the law.

I am not following you anymore. If there is no fix for your Gen1 car, you can't get it fixed and you don't get the $5100 for a fix.
The $5100 is a tort damages payment only, for the reduced value of the car due to VW's fraud.

Clause 4.9.1:
If, by June 15, 2018, there is no Approved Emissions Modification, or second stage of an Approved Emissions Modification, for Eligible Vehicles with a particular Generation of engine, Settlement Class Members who own such Eligible Vehicles will be informed by a Class Update that, if they have not already made a Claim, or if no benefits under the Settlement Agreement have been received in respect of their Eligible Vehicle, they may opt out of the Settlement Class during the Second Opt-Out Period , except that they will receive their applicable Damages Payment

You need to look at the politics, not just your sacred regulations. Regulations that are written can be modified or waivers can be granted.
You understand that the regulations are the cause of all this, right? If there were no regulations, there would be no scandal. I had nothing to do with the regulations, by the way.

The politics are that there are millions of voters in the GTA who knowingly voted for massively increased electricity bills informed by green politicking. If a few VW owners suffer so the fluff heads in the GTA can reach environmental nirvana, that is just too bad, so sad. Kathleen Wynne does not care about me, except to the extent that I am a tax slave owned by her.

You think they will pass a special law for me? That would be awesome. Will never ever happen. Most Gen 1 owners will take the buyback, and the few who don't will feel the boot of Kathleen Wynne on their necks.

Last edited:

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
Got my package in Canada as well, here's the full quote from the front page:

Important Information

The nationwide Settlement must be approved by Courts in Ontario and Quebec before the claims program begins in Canada. Settlement approval hearings are scheduled for the end of March 2017.

If you receive the modification through this recall before the Settlement claims program begins, there will be no impact on the choice of eligible benefits available to you under the Settlement.

Proceeding with the recall after the Settlement claims program begins will eliminate any rights that you may have to choose a buyback, trade-in or early lease termination under the Settlement.

Please note that by participating in the recall, you are not making a claim for benefits under the Settlement. Please visit www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca or call 1-888-670-4773 for more information.
Here are the warranty numbers for us Canadian Gen 3 owners:
Warranty Period

The warranty period for the "Extended Emissions Warranty" limited warranty extension shall be the greater of:

• 11 years or 261,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date; OR
  • 5 years or 97,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honoured for 5 years or 97,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.
I'm at 75,000 km already. If I move on the recall ASAP, I may lose out on some warranty coverage in the long term vs. waiting for the settlement to be approved and starting Phase 1 in a few months. Waiting a while could put me at 100,000 km by September and depending on when Phase 2 would be available/scheduled (if I wait till the end) would mean that I could be covered to 300,000 km :eek:

On the flip side, I'll be in a limbo period of no more new-vehicle warranty very shortly (minus drivetrain) and non-stop coverage till 261,000 km is pretty damn good as it is.

Not sure which to pick yet...

Links from the settlement page:
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/w...02/CLEAN-VW-Canada-Letter_2LGen-3_English.pdf
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/w...-TDI-BOOKLET_GEN-3_ENGLISH-final_new-size.pdf
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/w...nada-Letter_2L-Gen-3_English_revised-logo.pdf
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/w...N-3-2L-TDI-BOOKLET_FINAL_ENGLISH_new-size.pdf

Last edited:

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
The $5100 is a tort damages payment only, for the reduced value of the car due to VW's fraud.
Clause 4.9.1:
If, by June 15, 2018, there is no Approved Emissions Modification, or second stage of an Approved Emissions Modification, for Eligible Vehicles with a particular Generation of engine, Settlement Class Members who own such Eligible Vehicles will be informed by a Class Update that, if they have not already made a Claim, or if no benefits under the Settlement Agreement have been received in respect of their Eligible Vehicle, they may opt out of the Settlement Class during the Second Opt-Out Period , except that they will receive their applicable Damages Payment.
Yikes. If you are going to quote something you cant just quote the parts you want so that it makes your point. Here is the entire clause 4.9.1 (with the key part you omitted in bold)

Owned Vehicles. If, by June 15, 2018, there is no Approved
Emissions Modification, or second stage of an Approved
Emissions Modification, for Eligible Vehicles with a particular
Generation of engine, Settlement Class Members who own such
Eligible Vehicles will be informed by a Class Update that, if they
have not already made a Claim, or if no benefits under the
Settlement Agreement have been received in respect of their
Eligible Vehicle, they may opt out of the Settlement Class during
the Second Opt-Out Period or, if they remain in the Settlement
Class, or if their Eligible Vehicle has been modified with the first
stage of an Approved Emissions Modification, they may choose
a Buyback or Buyback With Trade-In regardless of whether they
meet the definition of an Eligible Owner, in which case
Sections 4.2.3 through 4.2.5 and Schedules “B” and “E” will
apply to them as if they are Eligible Owners for purposes thereof,

except that they will receive their applicable Damages Payment,
or fifty percent (50%) of the applicable Damages Payment if their
Eligible Vehicle has been modified with the first stage of an
Approved Emissions Modification. For avoidance of doubt, if a
Class Update is issued on or before June 15, 2018 identifying
that there is an Approved Emissions Modification, or a second
stage of an Approved Emissions Modification, for Eligible
Vehicles, this Section shall not be applicable to owners of such
Eligible Vehicles.

The "except they will receive their applicable damages" phrase applies if you opt for a buy back in the case when there is no modification approved. The buy back will be available to more types of owners, including those that purchased after Sept 2015, who would otherwise not be eligible for a buy back. The "except they will receive their applicable damages" phrase limits their damages payment to what they would have received as an Eligible Purchaser.
Anyways, its a complicated clause, so you need to read it carefully and you can't just skip the parts you don't like.

Bottom line, if there is no mod and you don't do the buy back you don't get the payment.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Anyways, its a complicated clause, so you need to read it carefully
Ya think? That is really all you needed to say. You don't need to impute any kind of motives or make snide remarks. I did not omit it to mislead anyone, I left it out because I incorrectly thought it was extraneous. That sentence is 19 lines long, after all.

I'd like to point out that I was not a dick about your HST misapprehension.

We are all struggling to understand all this. There is a lot of missing and unclear information.

In the end, I think you are right on this particular matter:

1. EligibleOwners
a) EligibleOwnerswhochoose:
i. Buyback will receive a payment for the sum of:

-or-
ii. Trade-In will have all or a portion of their vehicle’s Fair Market Value at the time of the Trade-In applied towards the purchase price of a new or used Volkswagen or Audi vehicle, and will receive a payment for the sum of:

-or-
iii. Approved Emissions Modification will receive the Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty, and are eligible to receive the Owner Damages Payment, when they complete the Approved Emissions Modification.

So effectively if there is no fix, I will be giving my car back and buying another one.

This is counterintuitive, because the $5100 is to compensate me for the diminished value of my car. I don't think the $5100 should be tied to what I do with the car.

Last edited:

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Gents; was working the night shift tonight. Got in and found the thick envelope on the kitchen table" Important Information " . Inside the booklet from VW was titled "2015 TDI"... I won't repeat what the previous posters have already said, but if I read it correctly " anyone who has this update or fix done to their "2015 TDI before the settlement claims begin, there will be no impact on the choice of eligible benefits available to you under the settlement ? So we have roughly 4-5 weeks to have this modification done ? Otherwise you're excluded? Sorry if misunderstood... So much legal jargon it gets confusing. If anyone can chime in would appreciate it.... Don't want to do the wrong thing....

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you get the software update done pronto (in the next few weeks), you will have the opportunity to evaluate how the vehicle performs with the update done before you actually choose between getting the compensation for the update done, or having the vehicle bought back. If you don't like what it does, you can decide later.

If you wait, you will have to choose between fix or buyback - the "try before you commit" opportunity that exists for the next few weeks will not exist any more. But you will still have a year or more to make that choice.

If you sit on your hands forever and do nothing, you get nothing.

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
Thanks! Saved me wasting more time wading through the wad of paper....

If you get the software update done pronto (in the next few weeks), you will have the opportunity to evaluate how the vehicle performs with the update done before you actually choose between getting the compensation for the update done, or having the vehicle bought back. If you don't like what it does, you can decide later.

If you wait, you will have to choose between fix or buyback - the "try before you commit" opportunity that exists for the next few weeks will not exist any more. But you will still have a year or more to make that choice.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination

Thanks for the clarification...much appreciated !

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
So effectively if there is no fix, I will be giving my car back and buying another one.

This is counterintuitive, because the $5100 is to compensate me for the diminished value of my car. I don't think the $5100 should be tied to what I do with the car.

Don't want you to be calling me names again but who said the $5100 was to compensate you for diminished value?

If, as you claimed earlier, you wanted to and planned to keep your car for the long term then what damages will you suffer assuming you don't get the fix? Yes, you will continue to emit higher NOX but you have dismissed that as some tree-hugger conspiracy and regardless it is not directly harming you as an owner.

Yes there is also the possibility that you won't be able to register your car. That is speculation as both in the final US agreement and in Canada's action to date there has been no indication that the owners will be penalized.

If there is no fix then you have the option to opt out at that point and sue VW's ass. That would likely be fruitful, especially if the provinces do not promise to allow registration.

It is worthwhile identifying this issue in your objections to the settlement. Even though my plan is to take the buy back I want my options open and right now there is a risk outstanding if there is no fix. I plan to include in my objection the risk associated with not being able to continue operating my vehicle if there is no fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Gents; was working the night shift tonight. Got in and found the thick envelope on the kitchen table" Important Information " . Inside the booklet from VW was titled "2015 TDI"... I won't repeat what the previous posters have already said, but if I read it correctly " anyone who has this update or fix done to their "2015 TDI before the settlement claims begin, there will be no impact on the choice of eligible benefits available to you under the settlement ? So we have roughly 4-5 weeks to have this modification done ? Otherwise you're excluded? Sorry if misunderstood... So much legal jargon it gets confusing. If anyone can chime in would appreciate it.... Don't want to do the wrong thing....
I have yet to receive this book. A pre-fix trial maybe something that I am interested in. Although I am leaning toward taking the buy back. I will call VW dealer tomorrow and see what they say, then add a grain of salt to their answer.
Something to consider if you go and roll the stage 1 fix pre Settlement;
The stage 1 fix essentially removes the road mode, and So the car will be putting extra strain on the emissions system as soon as it is done. The Stage 2 Fix then goes through and guts and replaces all the parts that were never designed to actually be used properly because the cheat would allow them essentially light duty.
Note also that they are estimating the CAT will have to be replaced more than once within 240k km if you are driving a low mileage 2015.
So, you may want to consider whether or not you want to rush out and add a whole.lot of extra load on your DPF, Cat, SCR system, etc... As Stage2 likely won't be out until 2018.
If someone more familiar with the exact wording of the early fix warranty terms can confirm whether Stage 1 fix gets you the extended warranty right off the bat, or do you not get the extended warranty until after stage 2 as part of the 'FIX' option the settlement. This is key, as if the pre Settlement fix option doesn't give you the extended warranty right away... You could be killing your emissions components before the Stage 2 Fix comes available.
Regardless, the letter in no way forces one to get the fix pre Settlement, and so people ought not feel rushed to get it. Remember it WILL place additional strain on your entire Emissions Control chain that the components on your car were not really designed to handle.

Last edited:

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Don't want you to be calling me names again
With respect, the only thing I have ever done to you is fix my spreadsheet quite quickly after you complained about a bug it had. I don't think I did anything to deserve the tone you used. If I have offended you in some way, I sincerely apologize, but you should consider softening your tone.

but who said the $5100 was to compensate you for diminished value?
It is called an "owner damages payment," which I understand to be tort damages. The only tort VW did to me was to sell me a car which they misrepresented as meeting the regulations, and that rapidly lost value after their fraud was identified. What else is this tort payment for?

If, as you claimed earlier, you wanted to and planned to keep your car for the long term then what damages will you suffer assuming you don't get the fix? Yes, you will continue to emit higher NOX but you have dismissed that as some tree-hugger conspiracy and regardless it is not directly harming you as an owner.
Have not claimed any kind of conspiracy. I have said only that I drive in an area where smog is not a problem. And there are many other vehicles on the road that emit more NOx than mine does. Yes it may be forty times, but it is forty times a vanishingly small number. It might require an engineering education to appreciate this.

Also, there is no way that taking 105 000 cars off the road and causing many new cars to be manufactured, can be a net advantage in environmental terms. I can explain further if it's not clear.

Furthermore, the instantaneous derivative of my depreciation curve is effectively zero now. I haven't convinced myself that I can end up ahead by buying an acceptable (totally subjective term) replacement. Buying new(er) cars is a great way to lose money.

As well, I have a lot of engine-specific parts on the shelf in my garage. Enough oil and oil/fuel/air/cabin filters for at least five years. I am not sure to whom I can sell them in Canada, if all the relevant TDIs are bought back and never reappear on the market. I think these parts will just be a sunk cost, unless I can somehow ship them to a European buyer without losing a lot of money.

Yes there is also the possibility that you won't be able to register your car.
Yep, that is the main concern, and you should not be so dismissive of it. If I do not participate in the buyback, I may be left with a car I can't register. There is no statement right now on the subject from the Ontario government, although they have known about this situation since September 2015. What they have said is that people will be *forced* to install whatever equipment and software is required, as soon as a fix is available. So the only indication we have is that they are prepared to take action against owners. There is absolutely no precedent for this, that I am aware of. I find it curious that my car has a Takata airbag that needs replacing because it may explode in my face, which will cause a big OHIP bill, and Ms. Wynne is doing nothing about that (may be a federal matter, but she is clearly a stakeholder.)

It is worthwhile identifying this issue in your objections to the settlement. Even though my plan is to take the buy back I want my options open and right now there is a risk outstanding if there is no fix. I plan to include in my objection the risk associated with not being able to continue operating my vehicle if there is no fix.
Good luck with that. This settlement is going to be rammed through by the court. There will be some passing acknowledgement of the malcontents, but they will be dismissed in language that is guaranteed to be snotty.

Last edited:

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Good luck with that. This settlement is going to be rammed through by the court. There will be some passing acknowledgement of the malcontents, but they will be dismissed in language that is guaranteed to be snotty.
Even though my hopes of any objections being taken into consideration into the final settlement are low, I still think it's important to voice any concerns or disagreements with the settlement as it was proposed.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Even though my hopes of any objections being taken into consideration into the final settlement are low, I still think it's important to voice any concerns or disagreements with the settlement as it was proposed.
Like Homer says: Don't struggle. You'll only sink faster.

You are going up against tens of thousands of debt slaves who can't wait to get their money so they can put a tiny down payment on a brand new vehicle, which they will finance for 84 months.

Last edited:

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
dark as the soot diesels used to spew....

Like Homer says: Don't struggle. You'll only sink faster.

You are going up against tens of thousands of debt slaves who can't wait to get their money so they can put a tiny down payment on a brand new vehicle, which they will finance for 84 months.

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
For the people saying that everyone will be doing the buyback/trade-in: Some will be, and some will do the fix or wait for it, and some will opt out and keep driving it as normal. The majarity of people affected are not on here or the facebook group. Believe it or not, not everyone even knows about the settlement.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
dark as the soot diesels used to spew....
I guess I am jealous of the people on my street, who have no hesitation in financing $60k pickup trucks over 84 months. I remember reading that this is the modal finance term now.
Here is the depreciation you pay on an F-150. :
Code:
Year	Avg price	Depreciation	Cumulative
2016      47589	         0	                  0
2015	  41490	         6099	                 6099
2014	  36117	         5373	                 11472
2013	  31894	         4223	                 15695
2012	  27600	         4294	                 19989
2011	  24161	         3439	                 23428
2010	  21055	         3106	                 26534
2009	  18383	         2672	                 29206
2008	  15812	         2571	                 31777
2007	  13479	         2333	                 34110
2006	  11405	         2074	                 36184
2005	  9376	         2029	                 38213
For the people saying that everyone will be doing the buyback/trade-in: Some will be, and some will do the fix or wait for it, and some will opt out and keep driving it as normal.
It is likely that Canada will follow the USA, where the vast majority go for the buyback. Like, over 80%.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
It is likely that Canada will follow the USA, where the vast majority go for the buyback. Like, over 80%.
For some people, the money that VW is handing down south for buy back/trade in is too good to resist.

Remember that, in the first place, the damages compensation that VW offered in the US is significantly higher compared to what they are offering here.

If I were the owner of a 2010 Golf TDI with zero options (base package) in the US, with between 150K and 160K miles, my buy back would come to about $12000. Plus $5100 damage compensation; that's a whooping $17000 for a car that, in the regular market, won't be fetching more than $4000 in a good day. Too good to resist.

Now, you are making the assumption that people taking the buy back money are going to buy brand new, expensive rides. I don't think that's the case for many, IMO. If I were to take the buy back option, my choice would be to find a well taken care, reliable used vehicle that would not get me into any or very little debt.

Last edited:

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
For the people saying that everyone will be doing the buyback/trade-in: Some will be, and some will do the fix or wait for it, and some will opt out and keep driving it as normal. The majarity of people affected are not on here or the facebook group. Believe it or not, not everyone even knows about the settlement.
You made a good point. I know that the settlement management company was supposed to email and or mail the notice of proposed settlement to all TDI affected owners. But, what about public notices? Has anyone seen actual notices published in newspapers or other media announcing the proposed settlement? I know that this has been followed by some news outlets, CBC in particular. But, like you mentioned, quite a lot of TDI owners may not even be aware of the whole deal.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
You made a good point. I know that the settlement management company was supposed to email and or mail the notice of proposed settlement to all TDI affected owners. But, what about public notices? Has anyone seen actual notices published in newspapers or other media announcing the proposed settlement? I know that this has been followed by some news outlets, CBC in particular. But, like you mentioned, quite a lot of TDI owners may not even be aware of the whole deal.
I have seen newspaper ads of the settlement in the Halifax paper. But not everyone reads the paper these days.

If you read any news at all, it amazes me that someone would have missed the VW TDI scandal. But I'd agree, a bunch of people probably did.

Don

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Now, you are making the assumption that people taking the buy back money are going to buy brand new, expensive rides. I don't think that's the case for many, IMO. If I were to take the buy back option, my choice would be to find a well taken care, reliable used vehicle that would not get me into any or very little debt.
You are clearly very smart. But there are lots of people who aren't possessed of your good financial sense.

The fraction of new Canadian auto loans with amortizations of 6-8 years rose from 56% in 2011, to 72% in 2016.

Looking at all auto loans taken together, the amount outstanding rose from $16.2B to $64B over the seven years ending in 2014. I am sure it is much higher now.

I noticed quite a few posts on the Facebook group, from people who still owe quite a lot of money on five year old cars, wanting to know if VW would cancel the debts.

As you know, the calculation around whether it is smart to take the buyback, should probably include the future depreciation of the intended replacement car, and any interest involved.